GPS collar and unit advice

Ucsdryder

WKR
All-

I am training the new pup (Dutch Shepherd) to be my scouting and one day hunting companion. This is not a traditional hunting dog, as I don't hunt birds.

I want a GPS collar in case he takes off. What do you suggest for my needs? I have a zoleo, so don't need one with inreach capability. Is there such a thing as a unit that pairs with the iphone that is trusted? Although its been years, I wasn't a fan of the maps resolution and detail on the handheld garmins.

My area has zero cell, all wilderness.

Thanks in advance-
Garmin alpha and TT-15 mini is a badass setup. My GSP can range and i never worry about where she is because I can pinpoint her to a couple of feet.

Oh, they aren’t cheap.

TSAMP

WKR
I have the pathfinder 2.0, with iPhone and Apple Watch. I would not recommend, pain to correct dogs as you have to take phone out each time. Also GPS can be off by a significant amount on both dogs and your location. I would go with a device that has a specific unit for application with easy stimulus, easy map access, and reliable gps.
You want to sell it?

Mosby

WKR
I just bought the Garmin 550 plus with the TT25 collars. Gives me the direction and yardage of my dogs. No map but I'm a bird hunter and I just need basic information when I'm walking in fields. I also have a Drivetrack 71 which I keep an Onyx chip in...in my truck and I will pair the 550 plus with the Drivetrack in case I loose a dog and need to go after them in my truck. The Drivetrack and map detail with ownership info is nice when I'm driving around scouting for places to hunt but it is my back up if I loose a dog and I can't keep up on foot...which hopefully will never happen.

If I had my dogs in thick woods an Alpha with the map detail might be more useful but a lot of it is personal preference.

TSAMP

WKR
Bumping this thread. How are upland guys using these gps collars in hunting scenarios? Specifically chest high grasses. Im on week one of an alpha 300. While I enjoy the data side of it. Ive had 2 scenarios where my dog was 9 feet from me and I still had no idea where he was exactly until the bird jumped up or he moved.

It's hard to walk in boldly and confidently when your lookin at a screen.

jmez

WKR
I just get close and then walk in where the arrow points. Really thick cover like that I really don't worry about the exact location of the dog.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Garmin alpha series and Tt model collars. Run cats and bears with hounds in bc. pricey but pays for itself first time out knowing exactly where your dogs are. Especially in wolf country.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Garmin Alpha for years, and it has never failed me. It gives great peace of mind when you can't see the dogs, and the vibration or beep alert is a great way to call the dogs back.

How are upland guys using these gps collars in hunting scenarios? Specifically chest high grasses. Im on week one of an alpha 300. While I enjoy the data side of it. Ive had 2 scenarios where my dog was 9 feet from me and I still had no idea where he was exactly until the bird jumped up or he moved.
I'm not a bird hunter but...

Anything less than ~30 feet is aproximated "She's right here somewhere" and use eyes and ears.
The direction arrow is almost always right unless she's moving really fast past me, then the distance also is off by up to 50 feet. But that's all pretty close in.

I suppose that these characteristics make my unit more usefull for hounds that might be running 100s of yards or miles away, rather then for upland where you want to approach to within a few yards of a pointer before letting her flush.

TSAMP

WKR
I just get close and then walk in where the arrow points. Really thick cover like that I really don't worry about the exact location of the dog.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk
I guess that is about all you can do. There are trade offs. Our cover is still very dense and green so it's about worse case scenario right now.

I don't miss the beeper until a scenario like this happens.