GPS collar and unit advice

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I use the garmin alpha 200. It's the best on the market I believe. It can also double as just a gps for yourself if you had it w out the dog also.

ccg951

FNG
Upland guy myself and 2 yrs ago I upgraded from old Tri Tronics to Garmin 200i; could not be happier. The handheld is a great gps and I plan on using it on my CO elk hunt in sept. with the InReach service activated.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Upland guy myself and 2 yrs ago I upgraded from old Tri Tronics to Garmin 200i; could not be happier. The handheld is a great gps and I plan on using it on my CO elk hunt in sept. with the InReach service activated.
By any chance have you used the text features on this device. I did last year for a mule deer hunt and seemed to send texts super slow. Just wondering if you had the same issue.

ccg951

FNG
I've actually not started my InReach service yet. I should do that now and get familur before Sep:oops:

Jgormond3

FNG
I had this exact same situation. I have a pack of beagles as well as a Labrador that finds shed horns. I was using TT25s for a couple years with a few issues here and there with circuit boards going out. Garmin warrantied them but I still was out of a collar or two for months at a time. The new TT25x came out this month and I just got 5 collars in. They are without a doubt more robust than the previous models. I also picked up an alpha 10 to go with my 200i. The Alpha 10 is now my go to. I can track all my dogs quick and easily with the compass style which I prefer anyways rabbit hunting / shed hunting, and if needed I can pull up the Garmin explore app on my iPhone that pairs with or without service for an aerial map view if needed. It is the best of both worlds IMO. Not even half as bulky as a big unit with nearly all the same capabilities.

TSAMP

WKR
I had this exact same situation. I have a pack of beagles as well as a Labrador that finds shed horns. I was using TT25s for a couple years with a few issues here and there with circuit boards going out. Garmin warrantied them but I still was out of a collar or two for months at a time. The new TT25x came out this month and I just got 5 collars in. They are without a doubt more robust than the previous models. I also picked up an alpha 10 to go with my 200i. The Alpha 10 is now my go to. I can track all my dogs quick and easily with the compass style which I prefer anyways rabbit hunting / shed hunting, and if needed I can pull up the Garmin explore app on my iPhone that pairs with or without service for an aerial map view if needed. It is the best of both worlds IMO. Not even half as bulky as a big unit with nearly all the same capabilities.
Good feedback. I myself was eyeballing the alpha 10 because it seemed to be more economical and simple. That this until I saw the price. I felt like for the modest Increase the GPS on screen would be valuable.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Do these work without cell service? If so, how? I like the idea but can't wrap my head around it.

The alpha 10 is a toy compared to the other units IMO. I think very few people would be happy with it as a stand alone unit and it’s overpriced for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One feature I like on the 200/300 over the 550 is that you can set up an electronic perimeter where you can set up an alert if the dog leaves that area, or give you an alert if the dog gets "x" far away from you. I don't think you can do that with the 550 (it would be nice if the garmin phone app would offer that to you when linked to the device but I don't think you can). Not something you would normally use when hunting, but is handy at campsites, or on canoe trips, etc., so you don't constantly need to check where your dog is or risk all of a sudden discovering he's 2 miles away up the next drainage.

No, how the location of the dog gets transmitted to the handheld unit. If it's not on a cell network is it radio? Require line of sight? Get screwed up by terrain?
The collars run on about a 151 radio frequency. If I am recalling correctly there are 5 frequencies and 20 time frames that they send signals out in ie collar number 5-1 is the 5th frequency and 1 is time slot 1/20 and 5-10 would be the 5th frequency and time slot 10/20. So setting up multiple collars with different frequencies and time slots gives the best tracking. I can dig up a podcast on it if you would like.

They also have a gps component to them. And that’s is the part on top of the collar. Not sure exactly what/how that works.

Edit: from garmin website

The top-mounted, high-sensitivity GPS and Galileo receiver keeps track of your dog’s location, and the Alpha TT 25 collar transmits that location via VHF up to 9 miles away with updates as frequent as every 2.5 seconds when used with a compatible handheld (sold separately).

Last edited:

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
The collars run on about a 151 radio frequency. If I am recalling correctly there are 5 frequencies and 20 time frames that they send signals out in ie collar number 5-1 is the 5th frequency and 1 is time slot 1/20 and 5-10 would be the 5th frequency and time slot 10/20. So setting up multiple collars with different frequencies and time slots gives the best tracking. I can dig up a podcast on it if you would like.

They also have a gps component to them. And that’s is the part on top of the collar. Not sure exactly what/how that works.

Edit: from garmin website

The top-mounted, high-sensitivity GPS and Galileo receiver keeps track of your dog’s location, and the Alpha TT 25 collar transmits that location via VHF up to 9 miles away with updates as frequent as every 2.5 seconds when used with a compatible handheld (sold separately).
Thanks, this'll do me.

Jgormond3

FNG
The alpha 10 is a toy compared to the other units IMO. I think very few people would be happy with it as a stand alone unit and it’s overpriced for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that most people are better served with a 200/300. However the 10 does fit my role perfectly. We already have a 200i that my father runs and I can beat briars and still keep a track of dogs with the little Alpha 10. For certain applications it’s still a solid choice.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
The garmin alpha series (100/200) is gonna be hands down your best bet. I've used several units and they are a waste of money. I run bird dogs, but I also was a fly fish guide for a long time, so I needed the ability to let my dog run, while working/scouting and keep an eye on him through the unit. the alpha can track and tone for up to 9 miles. I run a Zoleo as well but having that screen if needed can get you out of binds. The texting on it is not to impressive.

I have the pathfinder 2.0, with iPhone and Apple Watch. I would not recommend, pain to correct dogs as you have to take phone out each time. Also GPS can be off by a significant amount on both dogs and your location. I would go with a device that has a specific unit for application with easy stimulus, easy map access, and reliable gps.