GPS collar and unit advice

Ucsdryder

WKR
All-

I am training the new pup (Dutch Shepherd) to be my scouting and one day hunting companion. This is not a traditional hunting dog, as I don't hunt birds.

I want a GPS collar in case he takes off. What do you suggest for my needs? I have a zoleo, so don't need one with inreach capability. Is there such a thing as a unit that pairs with the iphone that is trusted? Although its been years, I wasn't a fan of the maps resolution and detail on the handheld garmins.

My area has zero cell, all wilderness.

Thanks in advance-
Garmin alpha and TT-15 mini is a badass setup. My GSP can range and i never worry about where she is because I can pinpoint her to a couple of feet.

Oh, they aren’t cheap.

TSAMP

WKR
I have the pathfinder 2.0, with iPhone and Apple Watch. I would not recommend, pain to correct dogs as you have to take phone out each time. Also GPS can be off by a significant amount on both dogs and your location. I would go with a device that has a specific unit for application with easy stimulus, easy map access, and reliable gps.
You want to sell it?

Mosby

WKR
I just bought the Garmin 550 plus with the TT25 collars. Gives me the direction and yardage of my dogs. No map but I'm a bird hunter and I just need basic information when I'm walking in fields. I also have a Drivetrack 71 which I keep an Onyx chip in...in my truck and I will pair the 550 plus with the Drivetrack in case I loose a dog and need to go after them in my truck. The Drivetrack and map detail with ownership info is nice when I'm driving around scouting for places to hunt but it is my back up if I loose a dog and I can't keep up on foot...which hopefully will never happen.

If I had my dogs in thick woods an Alpha with the map detail might be more useful but a lot of it is personal preference.