Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Tikka t3x

Votes: 142 73.6%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters

AKJ

FNG
There is lots of love for the tikka but I’m in the minority. My main dislikes are the hard recoil pad and stock design make felt recoil much worse than it should be. And the safety will disengage with the lightest touch. The one I owned was not as accurate as most others seem to experience, but it was good enough for a hunting rifle. Handle different rifles and see what features you like and what fits you best.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
The trigger on the sauer is excellent. Super crisp.

I picked up the rifle today. I’ll get some better pictures soon, but I’m wondering if these scope bases are the incorrect size. Maybe for short action? Thoughts? Am I good or should I ask them to swap them out.

did they install the incorrect scope base? The overhang and gap seems weird.
1686774041631.jpeg
1686774056585.jpeg

KenLee

WKR
Yeah reason tells me to just get an American, specially since I’m a lot more casual if a hunter than a lot of you guys here, but I am a sucker for a little curb appeal. The Americans got a lot more expensive than they used to be. My buddy bought his predator for $350 a couple of years ago and they are 519 now. That is not much cheaper than a few Bergara models or vanguard models. I guess it would still be a couple hundred bucks toward a scope.

the American in lighter recoiling chambering would be a good one to hand down to my boys when they are old enough for their first hunting rifle. Hopefully I’ll have some more skills and experience to hand down by then too!
The Ruger Americans kick hard for caliber, and I'm used to light hunting rifles. No way I'd buy one figuring on young kids using it.
I've shot them in 243, 7mm-08, 308, 270 and 30-06.

JFK

WKR
Any sauer owners out there?

I’ve had one for a couple years now. It’s my favorite rifle. Like you, I was set on buying a tikka, then accidentally ran into a Sauer at the gun shop and really liked it. The stock is perfect, zero issues with the rifle. Very accurate and not picky about bullet type. If I had a gripe it’s that I don’t achieve the same velocities in the Sauer 270 as my other ones. Tikka has the same issue though.

The scope mounts used by the shop will work, but not ideal. They’ll definitely get you going, but I’d look into something different down the road. Sauer 100 uses Rem 700 scope bases so the world is your oyster for choices.

kjacg

FNG
Any sauer owners out there?
I voted Tikka T3x from your list, but I do have a Sauer 202 lightweight in 30-06. It looks fairly similar to your 100. Mine weighs about 7.6 lbs. with a Zeiss conquest scope. Like you, I only bought it I got a deal (from my neighbor) that was way too good to pass up. I love the rifle and feel pretty lucky that he gave me such a deal.
I do love my Tikka T3's though.

Enjoy your new Sauer rifle!

As an a-bolt toter of 35 years, seeing an old a-bolt recommended along with a Patriot cut me deep.

I though the same thing when I read that. Like those two rifles are even close to being in the same league. lmao.

I though the same thing when I read that. Like those two rifles are even close to being in the same league. lmao.

Not at all. Patriot is very much a budget rifle; its worst weakness is the plastic magazine design (but last I checked, even the Tikka T3x uses a plastic mag). But it flat out shoots and will get the job done, leaving money to spend on other items.

I realize I didn’t spell out the A-Bolt was the “better yet” option, if there’s money to spare or a deal on a used rifle…hopefully y’all can recover. 😁

MJB

WKR
.270 caliber with 5 in the mag you have 6 shots......just in case you need that extra shot or 4!
A Win Mod 70 featherweight is as good as it gets with 130grain bullets kills 300lbs hogs, bears, deer and elk all good to go!

KenLee

WKR
Not at all. Patriot is very much a budget rifle; its worst weakness is the plastic magazine design (but last I checked, even the Tikka T3x uses a plastic mag). But it flat out shoots and will get the job done, leaving money to spend on other items.

I realize I didn’t spell out the A-Bolt was the “better yet” option, if there’s money to spare or a deal on a used rifle…hopefully y’all can recover. 😁
Some Patriots are shooters. Some not so much.
Back in the "no tax charged" days of internet purchases, I bought a 308 Patriot with Vortex Crossfire II scope for $280 plus $15 local FFL transfer fee. It shot well and I told friends about it. One bought a 308, one a 6.5 Creedmoor, and one a 270. The other 308 shot well also. The other two did good to group at 2 moa after trying 6-7 different factory ammos in each. Sample size of only 4. Your mileage may vary.
I'd bet I've owned 25 a-bolt 1 and a-bolt 2s. They all shot well.

Mr Xv3

FNG
I’ve had one for a couple years now. It’s my favorite rifle. Like you, I was set on buying a tikka, then accidentally ran into a Sauer at the gun shop and really liked it. The stock is perfect, zero issues with the rifle. Very accurate and not picky about bullet type. If I had a gripe it’s that I don’t achieve the same velocities in the Sauer 270 as my other ones. Tikka has the same issue though.

The scope mounts used by the shop will work, but not ideal. They’ll definitely get you going, but I’d look into something different down the road. Sauer 100 uses Rem 700 scope bases so the world is your oyster for choices.
I’ll dogpile on the love for the Sauer 100. A dear friend owns a gun shop and took a .308 S100 in that a customer wanted to trade on a painted Tikka.

I purchased it as it was exceptionally clean and the price was right as a “loaner” or spare rifle.

Other than carrying a little more weight than I prefer, that little rifle rocks. Accurate, great trigger, smoooooth cycling. And the stock really fits (little longer LOP).

I’d pick up another in a heartbeat.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got out and shot my rifle.

Started with a magazine (4 round group) of cheaper 139 gr lead hornady to get the feel for the gun. The top two shots are my first shots with the rifle. I was getting the feel for the stock and trigger. Shooting prone in nf at 100 yards, not from a bench.

1692327599619.jpeg
Very happy with those last two shots.

Then tried a 3 round group of 140 gr Barnes which the shop sighted in with and chronod for Leupold.
1692327713463.jpeg

I’ll take that. Stoked to have it ready to go.

KenLee

WKR
There is lots of love for the tikka but I’m in the minority. My main dislikes are the hard recoil pad and stock design make felt recoil much worse than it should be. And the safety will disengage with the lightest touch. The one I owned was not as accurate as most others seem to experience, but it was good enough for a hunting rifle. Handle different rifles and see what features you like and what fits you best.
and flexible stock, and all long action receivers, lack of 3 position safety. 24 inch barrel vs 22 in many calibers.
Tikka ain't for me