Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Tikka t3x

Votes: 142 73.6%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice. I have had the chance to those fortunately which helped me narrow it down. if you’re in the Oregon coast range our environment is probably pretty similar in the CA b zones.

I’ll probably go synthetic, but I’m a traditional guy and I think wood looks nice lol. This 20 gauge CZ side by side is pretty much all I hunted with last year. The t3x hunter is quite a bit more at like $1100 locally when the blued synthetic tx3 kites are about 750-799.
View attachment 559198
I love that shotgun! I love traditional wood stocks as well. Thus buying the T3 Hunter. I may have also bought a Boyds wood stock for the RA. Glass bedded it. It improved accuracy ever so slightly. That was a fun experiment. Good luck whatever you decide. You really will be well served whichever Tikka you end up getting.

TheGDog

WKR
Nice thanks. I had one on my howa
I had one on my Marlin 336GBL when I had a slip-and-fall while crossing a creek on the back of like 10-12" stones on a colder 32F morning.

Last rock before reaching opposite bank... the boots just swept out to one side So Fast there was nothing I could do... and automatically your autonomous nervous system makes you shoot out your arms to catch you.

Well.. the tip-top of my Left-Hand Radius bone smacked right into the apex of this stone embedded onto the opposite bank... resulting in the top of the Radius bone to shatter into 3 or 4 petals. The surgery to correct it req'd a Titanium plate and 13 screws.
WP_20160105_001.jpg

The other hand had the Marlin in it. Slammed down hard enough the lip of the objective end of the scope got all bent in.
WP_20170424_002.jpg

After I finally healed up? STILL ZEROED!!! So that's why I say they're TOUGH!

gtriple

WKR
I had one on my Marlin 336GBL when I had a slip-and-fall while crossing a creek on the back of like 10-12" stones on a colder 32F morning.

Last rock before reaching opposite bank... the boots just swept out to one side So Fast there was nothing I could do... and automatically your autonomous nervous system makes you shoot out your arms to catch you.

Well.. the tip-top of my Left-Hand Radius bone smacked right into the apex of this stone embedded onto the opposite bank... resulting in the top of the Radius bone to shatter into 3 or 4 petals. The surgery to correct it req'd a Titanium plate and 13 screws.
View attachment 559562

The other hand had the Marlin in it. Slammed down hard enough the lip of the objective end of the scope got all bent in.
View attachment 559563

After I finally healed up? STILL ZEROED!!! So that's why I say they're TOUGH!
Hawkins and Nightforce rings are both rock solid as well. I prefer the one-screw design of these over ones like the Seekins and others with 2 screws. But there's plenty that will hold zero through thick and thin. Warne, Seekins, etc.

@Tleek don't overthink this. Just buy a Tikka. They pop up used online or at pawn shops quite often for around $700 or less. If you are interested in buying one and getting it shipped to your FFL, there's a couple listed that I can link you to.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Just a suggestion. If exposure to wetness and humidity is in the offing, get something in stainless. REALLY have had good service from my Savage 110 Storm. Like most Savages, super accurate. Flawless functionally.

Hawkins and Nightforce rings are both rock solid as well. I prefer the one-screw design of these over ones like the Seekins and others with 2 screws. But there's plenty that will hold zero through thick and thin. Warne, Seekins, etc.
i've seen a seekins ring sheer off at the clamp, others have reported the same failure. Also, Warne horizontal split rings might be fine, but their vertical split design is terrible for scopes.

gtriple

WKR
i've seen a seekins ring sheer off at the clamp, others have reported the same failure. Also, Warne horizontal split rings might be fine, but their vertical split design is terrible for scopes.
I don't have personal experience with either, but have seen them recommended here a bunch. I run Nightforce and Hawkins on all of my rifles, unless I'm trying to go ultra light and then I run Talleys. I know they are not quite as bombproof, but I haven't had any failures with them yet.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
The unexpected happened…

I went to get either a Tikka or weatherby and the shop owner handed me a sauer in 7mm mag and offered me a deal. Pretty much threw in a Leupold VX freedom cds for free. They are going to site it in and run it through a chronograph for The new dial during the 10 day wait. I did literally no research on sauer, but it fit me great and i liked the feel and aesthetic. Hopefully it serves me well. Sorry to disregard everyone’s advice

gtriple

WKR
The unexpected happened…

I went to get either a Tikka or weatherby and the shop owner handed me a sauer in 7mm mag and offered me a deal. Pretty much threw in a Leupold VX freedom cds for free. They are going to site it in and run it through a chronograph for The new dial during the 10 day wait. I did literally no research on sauer, but it fit me great and i liked the feel and aesthetic. Hopefully it serves me well. Sorry to disregard everyone’s advice
Not a bad entry level option.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The have proven to generally be good rifles. Actions, triggers, stocks and magazines have all worked well from the few I have seen. The stock design is better than the factory Tikka stock, though the rifle is a bit heavier.