Got my new elk call & question

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lucky for me when Jphelps posted the elk call giveaway, we forgot to exclude Rokslide staff from winning- and sure enough, Muleyman and I won the calls (We changed the rules so this call is the last thing I get to win on the Rok :)

Ironically, Muleyman guides for me for elk in our private land outfitting business. We host 11-22 elk hunters per year and do quite a bit of calling so we were excited to win these calls. Our private land elk still respond to bugles, so we use them quite a bit. Muleyman called in one of our herd bulls last year but hunter missed him (archery).

I've used diaphragms for 20+ years and am proficient with them (not pro, but proficient).

However, this new call seems better for me so far. With diaphragms, I've always had a hard time getting some rasp in the squeal like I hear in so many of our big bulls on the ranches, and I like just a little bit of rasp, (almost just a hint of vibration in the first 1/3 of my cow call). This call seems to be raspier and I like that.

Here's what they look like:

attachment.php

They seem like a work of art compared to all the plastic stuff out there.

Anyway, my questions:

1) What is the best way to blow the call? Is there a recommended technique to using this type of call? I'm getting some good sounds, but not sure if I'm using it right. Do you just fiddle with it until you get the sounds you're looking for? Got 4.5 months to hone this thing in.

2) Are they designed for both bugles and cow calls or better suited to one or the other?

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
coop, just what I was looking for.
I didn't even realize what that band was for. I think I can fast track my learning curve.

I didn't hear him bugle, are the calls just cow calls? I've actually got a few good bugles off of mine.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Robby,
Glad you liked the call. Let's see if this helps you and others out.

*Run the call with the reed facing up (it can be run facing the bottom but let's not make things harder than they need to be)
*Wrap your upper lip around around you top teeth.
*place your lips about halfway up the radius of the tone board.
*for starters, apply a lot of pressure with your lip and cut off the air.
*slowly start to lower or drop your bottom jaw away from the call slowly. This won't sound like an elk yet but it will take you through the range of tone in the call.
*now you can start dropping the bottom jaw away from the call faster to achieve the two tones normally found in a cow call.
*you can add pressure or take it away to change the volume of the call (depending on situation and need)
*as mentioned above you can press on the green band (effectively shortening the reed length). This will give a whinier estrus sound.

As you practice you will get a good feel for where you like to put your lips on the board to get the sound you want.
A note about my calls: one complaint about external reeds is that they seem to lock up due to spit and moisture. I prepare every tone board by hand and sand them with steel wool to prevent the mylar reed from sticking to the plastic tone board. I still like to occasionally dry the board off throughout the day to ensure the call is going to work in the heat of the moment (sugary drinks and food are majority of the problem).

Feel free to ask any more questions you guys/gals may have.

Swede

WKR
Robby, I am not sure about those calls. Why don't you send them to me so I can check them out? I will report back when I finish. lol

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby as Swede implied those calls are JUNK.....send them to me and I will carry them around this fall so you don't have to waste your time....!! :)

Seriously I need to take a few minutes and order one of those, they are gorgeous!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like I better keep this call off my dash and my windows up and locked.

Thanks Jphelps, that is what I needed. I haven't been doing it that way. I'll let you know when I get a minute to practice how it goes.

So you can use them for bugling, not just cow call- right?

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, I forgot to answer question #2. I use/tune them for cow only. With an emphasis on the estrus whine. Some companies market similar calls as bugles but I think there are way better options out there (a resonating tube of some sort is definitely needed).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got it. Have to say, though, in a pinch, the bugles sound good from these, just no tube but sometimes tubes get in the way.

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I have used them as a locator bugle to locate bulls when my other methods haven't worked. I just don't advertise them that way due to the learning curve.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using reed style calls for the last 5-6 years, and I have only playing with you're call since I recieved it about about a week or so ago and I will honestly say that there is not another call out there that I have tried that sounds this good. Thank you again! I can't wait to pull a big ole love sick bull into bow range for a lucky hunter again this year!

G Posik

WKR
I got mine the other day and all I can say is this call sounds AWESOME. If I can make a call sound this good.....it has to be a good call.

Glenn

rumrzr

FNG
Robby and muleyman I appreciate no names being mentioned on who missed the bull that was called in. maybe this year year muleyman can get one called in like I did for him. I must admit muleyman made a great shot!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I'm getting the hang of this with the advice posted. Moving the green band makes a difference- hadn't noticed it before. Great call, lucky me- thanks

dotman

WKR
I have had mine for a few weeks now and I am just amazed at the quality/sound for the price, Jason puts out a great product for us crappy diaphram calling guys. This thing is so easy to learn and get down. Much better then what the big guys are putting out there, I received a free primos IMAKEDABULLCRAZYORJUSTPLAINSUCKEDYOUIN call from Eastmans and it sucks, not even a comparison.

D

david long

Jphelps.......how are those cow calls with the Rokslide logo coming along?

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
They were getting laser engraved on Friday. I hope they turned out good. I should be receiving them middle of this week. I will then tune them up and ship them to you for review.

It was a long process because in order for the laser engraving program to be built every call had to be the exact same which took some extra resources and quality control. Should move much faster in the future.

Jason Stafford

Lil-Rokslider
David you better get a couple of Phelps' calls, after all you do not want Aron to get a better bull then you this fall.