Goruck Mowing?

Any of you guys wear a weighted pack while doing chores or mowing? I've been wearing a Goruck pack my wife bought me with 50lbs in it while I push mow and it activates all kinds of little unused muscles along with added weight for pushing up and down the hill. Just trying to stave off old man time with decent exercise and also having some "value added" activities for everyday stuff.

Loper

WKR
Doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I’m sure it activates those smaller secondary muscles that don’t get a ton of primary use when just rucking from A to B, like you mentioned. Did you start with 50 right off the bat or gradually increase weight over time?

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I started with 35 in the Goruck Bag as it came with a 20lb plate and i stuffed a 15lb dumbbell in there too. The Goruck bag was a gift I would have never bought for myself, but it is a great training tool. I have been using it since late April. My wife has seen how much I've been using it so a 30lb plate showed up the other day so now i have 50lb in plates. It has little pockets inside to hold them and keep them from moving.

This is not intended to be a ad for Goruck products. I would have continued using my MR pack and a bag of landscape stone that I used to get ready for Montana a few years ago. but I really like the new setup.

Other than looking like a weirdo wearing a backpack while mowing, I'm going to continue grabbing some extra exercise when I can. I go on a good walk with the pack once or twice a week(3+ miles) and then use a elliptical 2-3 times during the week. It is working pretty good so far for functional health and fitness.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I could wear it on my riding mower but I think i would look like a goof, seems like a good idea though always like getting a little extra exercise in

Bubdog

FNG
Ive been doing it for 6 years now. Started with my hunting pack, but now I am using a GoRuck pack. It takes me about 40 minutes to cut with pack weight of 85 lb. its an easy way to get some extra training volume

OP
Shootinsurveyor
damn, I don't want mowing the yards to be 85lbs harder. How does the Goruck handle the heavy weight? I can tell that 50 is where it starts to feel not as supportive as the lower weights, obviously.

Bubdog

FNG
The GoRuck waist belt does not distribute the weight onto your hips any at all. It just keeps the pack from shifting. It took a while to get used to it, my traps have definitely grown from doing it. Once a week I also do a 4 mile ruck with the same weight.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
yeah thats what I noticed also. I remember seeing them when they first came out and wondering why you would want that instead of a good pack with hip belt. Now I know they have two different purposes

Carr5vols

WKR
Yes been doing this for about 9 years. At first neighbors thought I was crazy...takes me about 2 hours to push mow yard..where you really feel it is using a weed eater...start low weight then work up by end of summer.. I use my k3.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
amen on the weedeater! that's where those little muscles you didn't know about let you know they are there.

RockSlip

FNG
I've got a small yard and a pushmower. Dont make me put on ankle weights too!
The manual pushmower is where it's at for a workout. Save on the go ruck pack with some 2 liter soda bottles filled with sand or water in a backpack. Plus, you can drink the water if you need it.

Maverick1

WKR
Been doing this for many years. Like 20. Smaller yard that takes under an hour to mow. It helps! Gets the body accustomed to wearing a backpack and moving with the additional load.

Use the same backpack and weights for mowing as the regular hikes in the hills, progressively increasing the weight as the mowing/hiking season goes along.

Don’t care what the neighbors think, I’m getting ready for hunting in the mountains and will do whatever it takes to be prepared.

WCT3

FNG
I thought I was the only weirdo that did this! I don't do it every time I mow but I should, it doesn't really take me any longer to mow it's just harder. I use a 50 lb sand bag in my SO pack.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been wearing a 30lb weighted plate carrier while mowing. I usually wear a diagnostic belt that measure heart rate, calories burned etc and I have noticed that my heart rate with the plate carrier on is an easy 20-30 beats more and I burn almost twice the calories as without it. Overall I can definitely feel the difference

SwankB22

FNG
I recently started to use my pack and just add weights (50+ lbs) or sandbags while mowing/ outdoor chores on top of my normal training and have noticed some differences in muscle soreness with never packing anything. Being from flatland and finally getting an opportunity this year to go out west and hunt this seems to be one of the simpler ways to get used to a heavy pack.