Good Scope for M70 Super Grade that is already heavy enough. Should I go lightweight?

Hello all,

I am looking to get my heirloom rifle, a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .270. I am curious as to what kind of scope I should put on the gun. I love the Leupold VX5HDs but this forum has made me cautious.

What should I be looking for here? Budget is $1,000 and would prefer 2x-2.5x zoom on the low end. Capped turrets and all that as well.

Might not be as gucci as you’re thinking, but I inherited an old rifle with a 1980s Japanese 3-9x36 Tasco that I hunted with in .30-06 for over 20 years without re-zeroing and it stayed dead on that whole time. I checked the zero at 100 yards every season that I hunted but never made any adjustments. That scope only weighs about 12 oz and never fogged. You might find one dirt cheap somewhere and try it out.

Those old Japanese Tasco's were great scopes. The SWFA started life as a Japanese Tasco. Might look at the Maven 2-10x38, it's only 12 oz. Trijicon Accu-Point 3-9x40 is only 13 oz. GPO Passion 3-9 or 4-12 are both around 13 oz.

Over budget but an S&B Klassic sounds like a good fit. Not sure id want a 56mm objective but:this one is pretty close to the budget

My Dad's custom Supergrade has the same Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 thats been on it for 30 years but its a safe queen

Last edited:
I have 2 Leupold VX5 HDs. One a 2-10 and a 3x15. One on a pre 64 300 HH. But that one now sits in a McMillan stock. If I was scoping a wood stocked super grade it would have a nice Matt 3-10 VX III or Zeiss conquest 3-10 with covered caps.

I've been through a few on my supergrade 30-06. I landed on a simple 3x9 trijicon creedo as the one. However, I think the 2.5x15 would be an even better choice.

I have 2 Leupold VX5 HDs. One a 2-10 and a 3x15. One on a pre 64 300 HH. But that one now sits in a McMillan stock. If I was scoping a wood stocked super grade it would have a nice Matt 3-10 VX III or Zeiss conquest 3-10 with covered caps.
THIS is what I really want more than anything, but I’m afraid based on what I’ve heard here on Rokslide. The 2-10 VX5HD fits my needs absolutely perfectly, but I don’t know if I can trust it.

THIS is what I really want more than anything, but I’m afraid based on what I’ve heard here on Rokslide. The 2-10 VX5HD fits my needs absolutely perfectly, but I don’t know if I can trust it.
I would take a grain of salt with what you read on forums. I have never had a problem with either of my VX5 scopes. They have always held zero and tracked well. I did a lot of long range shooting at different distances before my Colorado mule deer hunt last year and zero issues. Traveled to Newfoundland by plane on a moose hunt and still have not needed to re zero. They are nice but are not a classic look.

Do you plan on dialing this scope a lot or is it more of a sight in and leave type of rifle? For a sub 500 yard gun that you may dial a little bit my vote is for a VX5 3-15 or 2-10. There seems to be a lot of hate on Rokslide towards Leupold but I have never had an issue with any of mine holding zero.

Do you plan on dialing this scope a lot or is it more of a sight in and leave type of rifle? For a sub 500 yard gun that you may dial a little bit my vote is for a VX5 3-15 or 2-10. There seems to be a lot of hate on Rokslide towards Leupold but I have never had an issue with any of mine holding zero.
Setting and forgetting. I’m a MPBR hunter- Jack O’Connor style

Back