good packable saw?

ElkNut1

WKR
#-1 WY Saw!! It's the best & fastest I've used out of many over the years! The 14" is the best size!

ElkNut1

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just pack a hack saw blade. It takes longer, but it works great for backpack/bivy hunting and weighs next to nothing.

The lightest Wyo saw is over 18 ounces.

Hardstalk

WKR
I carry a pvc wire saw. Weighs next to nothing and has alot of versatility. I have used it on bone. Works good.

sk1

WKR
not a bad idea on the wire saw........i use the wyoming saw but i dont carry it with me....stays in the truck unless i have something down horns need to be cut off of. after the first trip out with meat and gear.....grab the saw and go back for the rest, however that could backfire if you can get everything out in one trip. if i was to backpack it in from the start i would definitely consider the hacksaw blade or wire saw

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm with ELKNUT on this one, the 14 inch wyoming saw is the way to go...a little heavier for sure but once it is action you will be glad you carried it:)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So Ross, you would go on a 10 day bivy hunting trip and pack that Wyo saw the whole time....just to use it, one time?

If the guy is not backpacking, than the Wyo is the best, but there's is no way in hell that I would ever pack that along on a bivy trip.

When I backpack I use the gerber saw with the retractable saw blade. I keep a wyoming saw in the truck.
That hacksaw blade is a damn good idea, never thought of that.
Does anyone have a good brand of wiresaw? Everyone I have ever tried has been a peice of crap.

Thats what I like about this forum, you guys are spot on. Yeah the wyoming is the best saw but like already stated its way to heavy to leave the truck or home. I use the oudoor edge grizz saw. I believe the weight is quite a bit lighter then the gerber, but still very funcional. I rarely pack out the head unless mounting an animal, usually just skull cap them, so I need a good saw, don't know if a hack saw blade would do that witout me breaking it.But like many here i am always looking for something lighter and better.

Hardstalk

WKR
Bestway product camping saw.

I lied about the weight. I originally said it weighs nothing. I stand corrected. It does weigh 1oz.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed Aron, if backpacking for 10 days the Wyoming saw for it's weight and one time use it would not be beneficial to pack. The cost benefit simply would not be worth it.

That being said, for my style of hunting, full day hunts or planned 1-3 day bivy hunts it is always in my pack.

ElkNut1

WKR
Aron, I can't even imagine how long it would take to cut through a bulls skull twice with just a hacksaw blade for rack removal?? (grin) That's insane!!! I'd love to see it!! Of course you can pack a couple hundred # off a mountain too, that's also insane!!! (grin)

ElkNut1