good packable saw?

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have this saw - http://www.qiwiz.net/saws.html. It's weighs less than 4oz and uses the same blades as the sawvivor saw. I have a bone blade but haven't used it yet. I've cut a lot of wood with the wood blade and it works a lot better than my Gerber.

Last edited:
my Wyoming saw will be in my pack no matter the "style" hunt it is. i can't believe i ever carried a Gerber Exchange a Blade. glad i killed cows those years lol

Chuffness

FNG
Sawvivor is what I carry on my backpack hunts too..

Weights 9.5 oz plus a bone blade.

i bitch about my wyoming saw every time i look at it, I almost never use it away from the truck or camp. But i pack the stupid thing everywhere. I agree it is a GREAT saw but very heavy. I like the looks of the sawvivor saw. To be honest, the reason i carry my saw really doesnt have as much to do with breaking down an animal as it does with emergency/fire/camp stuff. I just feel better having it.

Joe

luke moffat

Super Moderator
While not super lightweight, 10 oz with the sheath I have hacked quite a few ribs up and taken a number of skull camps with this little thing. I like it cause there is no building the saw or anything and it packs up thin so it can fit just about anywhere.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=GB9481

Looks like they are getting harder to find. Like anything that works well they gotta discontinue it.

OP
Scoutman

Scoutman

FNG
thanks for all the replies,used a gerber exchange a blade this year.It worked but not well.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
I have also used a Wyoming Saw for the last few years and leave it at the truck because of it's weight. On the first trip out to the truck I take backstraps and misc. meat. Then I pick up the saw to use when I get back to the carcass for the second trip on deer and several trips on an elk. I'm 65 and can carry an antelope out in one load, but it's two trips for a mulie, and a bunch for an elk.

The sagen is slick for ribs but I haven't figured out how to knock a skull cap off with it.

I can see a hacksaw blade working ok. Once you get it close the application of a hefty rock to the bridge of the nose can speed the process up. Feel a little gruesome smashing a skinned skull with a rock but at least you don't need to pack the rock in and out 10 miles!

I carry a SOG "Revolver". It has a great skinning blade then u depress a button on the handle and it "revolves" and now u have a very good saw. Great knife and very lightweight.

blb078

WKR
I was at HD the other day and I saw a mini hacksaw. It was 8bux w/a blade, so I went ahead and bought it, weighed in at 4oz w/the blade. Could prob use a better blade but might be something worth looking into if you want something light, simple, and for basic use.

bobhunts

WKR
Bigeasy at 5 inches I do belive it would make a chore out of capping an elk skull. I do not carry only a hacksaw blade as Aron does! I have the smaller Wyoming saw and have not used it as I always used one of the cheap folders I have had for years. But I am looking at the Sawvivor as Caribou Gear carries them and they seem well built. I saw one at the ISE show at there booth and it seemed to be lighter. I will as I know some of you will do and research it. Bob.

bobhunts

WKR
I just looked and the smallest Wyoming saw weighs in at 18 ounces. The Sawvivor weighs in at 9.5 ounces. Almost half the weight. They are well built after looking at them and I think I'll get one. I have heard if you are skull capping a moose the longer saw will save your hands with the pushing against the antlers. Then the Wyoming saw would be better. If you are only looking at weight and don't mind bumping a knuckle on a moose antler I believe the choice is clear if all is the same being warranty and durability.

I really like the lightweight Gerber retractable saw. It has served me well. I own a Wyoming saw and use it for horse packouts, but it is heavy to pack around all day.