Good Gas Mileage Hunting Vehicle

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
With fuel prices skyrocketing is has anyone started looking at alternative hunting vehicles? I'm currently using a Tacoma with a cap, roof rack, bumpers, and lift, I average about 13mpg during hunting season and 17 on the hwy. I have a couple of out-of-state hunts scheduled this fall and typically hunt 8+ weeks from Aug. - Nov. normally fuel has been one of my largest expenses but now it will defiantly be by a land slide.

I'm really considering selling the Taco before these market crashes, currently, I could make a lot of money off of the truck even after beating on it for the last couple of years. I really don't know what to get though, I think a crappy little fwd car would get me to about 80% of the places I hunt, more if I beat the shit out of it. I just don't know if I'm quite ready to give up having a decent rig. I've considered buying a small hybrid SUV like a toyota Rav 4 which gets over 40mpg, put a hitch on the back and haul my t-dub or CT90 on the back for the really poor roads. It really is a tough decision though, especially going out of state like NE Nevada where there is pretty much nobody to help if you break down or get stuck.

I've always really liked having a capable vehicle but the current prices are crazy. Just the two trips I have planned I will be putting on 1300 miles just to and from, not to mention any driving while there. I normally keep about 1K set aside in an envelope for the fuel each fall so it doesn't hit the bank account as hard. This year we are already double with a couple of months to go. Maybe I just need to accept that it's going to be the cost of doing business going forward.

Curious what everyone else's thoughts are, I defiantly feel like the woods are going to be a much lonelier place this fall with prices the way they are.
After having the second kid we sold off the side by side for a Jeep Wrangler, I can go almost anywhere I did with the RZR and still take the kids to school, 18-20 mpg

How much extra weight do you guess you have with the steel skid plates, sliders, and aftermarket bumpers? I know the increased height and roof rack contributes too.

I have a 2021 Tacoma with a roof height shell and I routinely get 20+ mpg, 18 mpg when cruising 80 mph on the freeway. I always go back and forth between adding some mods for better off-road ability and staying stock. This thread may have convinced me to stay stock.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I always like to look at how many trips I might make with the vehicle I already own outright compared to what a "better" mileage vehicle would cost. With some rough calcs on how much it would cost to drive your Taco round trip you could do 30-35 of those trips for what it would cost to buy a used Subi Crosstrek. Something to chew on. You can pay the man now or you can pay him later ;)

When friends tell me they just spent $35K on this fantastic wizzbang hybrid to save gas and beat the price at the pump I smile inwardly knowing I can fill my current paid off daily drivers tank for 10 years at current fuel prices for what they paid for that thing and I have no car payment to make :)

I second this way of thinking and I’ll try to explain why. Like many, I drive a truck that’s currently paid for (2010 tundra) and have pondered getting something smaller and more fuel efficient as prices rise. The tundra has gone up in value with Covid and by selling it I could afford a newer, lightly used SUV, something like a 2018 Subaru outback for example. I really find numbers helpful in these situations so here’s the math I did to help with my decision.

My Tundra gets about 15 mpg on average (13 city, 17 highway). The vehicles I’d be looking at (non-hybrid smaller AWD SUV’s like the Subaru Outback) probably get about 28 mpg on average (let’s estimate 25 city and 31 highway). It’s worth noting that fully loaded with gear I’m guessing 22-25mpg would be more realistic for those SUV’s but I’ll stick with 28 to make the numbers favor switching vehicles.

I drive about 10,000 miles every year.

So 10,000/15 = 667 gallons of fuel for the tundra each year.

10000/28 = 357 gallons of fuel for the year in the smaller SUV.

When gas was $3.50/gallon it cost me $2,334 in fuel to drive my tundra, compared to $1,250 for the SUV, a savings of $1,084.

If gas hits $5/gallon this summer where I live then the tundra will cost me $3,335 compared to $1,785, a difference of $1,550.

Even if (God forbid) gas hit $8/gallon in the near future, I still think I’m choosing my tundra because the difference in fuel savings at $8/gallon is still only $2,480 ($5,336 for the tundra vs $2,856 for the SUV).

If you do something similar, you’ll find that going from a low MPG vehicle to a high MPG vehicle will save you about $1000 - $2000 in fuel for every 10,000 miles you drive at normal to moderately increased fuel prices.

For me personally, I’m happy to pay that extra amount for the capability a truck provides. For others, perhaps that amount of fuel savings is enough to consider switching, especially if you want other features of a newer vehicle or lower cost of ownership associated with smaller vehicles that have smaller engines.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Both of my trucks average about 16mpg and I have no intentions of changing them out anytime soon.

My wife was looking at getting a hybrid Avalon recently rated at 44mpg. After some research and studying I found that a lot of folks were averaging way less than that with theirs, especially for mostly highway driving and also from driving in colder environments. Throw in the battery replacement costs and hassles, and the gas version appeared to be almost break even. So she got the gas version. Purchase price was also cheaper than the hybrid as well.

As has already been stated, you have to really study the numbers to see what the actual costs and benefits are, especially over the long term.

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
I second this way of thinking and I’ll try to explain why. Like many, I drive a truck that’s currently paid for (2010 tundra) and have pondered getting something smaller and more fuel efficient as prices rise. The tundra has gone up in value with Covid and by selling it I could afford a newer, lightly used SUV, something like a 2018 Subaru outback for example. I really find numbers helpful in these situations so here’s the math I did to help with my decision.

My Tundra gets about 15 mpg on average (13 city, 17 highway). The vehicles I’d be looking at (non-hybrid smaller AWD SUV’s like the Subaru Outback) probably get about 28 mpg on average (let’s estimate 25 city and 31 highway). It’s worth noting that fully loaded with gear I’m guessing 22-25mpg would be more realistic for those SUV’s but I’ll stick with 28 to make the numbers favor switching vehicles.

I drive about 10,000 miles every year.

So 10,000/15 = 667 gallons of fuel for the tundra each year.

10000/28 = 357 gallons of fuel for the year in the smaller SUV.

When gas was $3.50/gallon it cost me $2,334 in fuel to drive my tundra, compared to $1,250 for the SUV, a savings of $1,084.

If gas hits $5/gallon this summer where I live then the tundra will cost me $3,335 compared to $1,785, a difference of $1,550.

Even if (God forbid) gas hit $8/gallon in the near future, I still think I’m choosing my tundra because the difference in fuel savings at $8/gallon is still only $2,480 ($5,336 for the tundra vs $2,856 for the SUV).

If you do something similar, you’ll find that going from a low MPG vehicle to a high MPG vehicle will save you about $1000 - $2000 in fuel for every 10,000 miles you drive at normal to moderately increased fuel prices.

For me personally, I’m happy to pay that extra amount for the capability a truck provides. For others, perhaps that amount of fuel savings is enough to consider switching, especially if you want other features of a newer vehicle or lower cost of ownership associated with smaller vehicles that have smaller engines.
I agree 1000%. Factor in selling your vehicle and the cost of buying a new one as well, assuming you do not have the luxury of just swapping cars.

The price of gas is horrible right now. But I rather give up things like going out to eat, or that cup of coffee in the morning to make the math work. I bet you can find an extra 30 bucks a week somewhere else if you are willing to make some small sacrifices.

After thirty years of saving we decided to finally enjoy life a bit more and start going out to eat. I used to do it maybe four times a year. We started doing it a couple times a month. Now with everything going through the roof we are back to not going out. That's 200 bucks per month right there. Covers our increase in gas. I feel bad bad for the local restaurants, but that's the price we have to pay for having this administration.

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I drive a Honda Element, 5 speed, all wheel drive. When I'm careful I get 24 mpg, lots of room, and decent ground clearance. Plus, it's a good incognito huning rig!

Kurts86

WKR
I do the opposite in that I drive a very fuel efficient Subaru Impreza when I’m not hunting and then rent a jeep or a full sized pickup for my hunting trips. Realistically I commute 20-25k miles/year and hunting is 3k miles a year. Chasing efficiency on 10-15% of my mileage doesn’t make a lot of sense compared to optimizing my vehicle 85-90% of the time. It ends up saving me $2k-$3k/year in fuel that can go into rentals and flights.

A lot of guys drive large, expensive and fuel hungry vehicles 95% of the time for the 5% they need it. Then fuel goes up and they start screaming. I’m not talking about guys that make their living with their truck but the army of underutilized suburban dwelling spotless 4x4’s and mall crawlers I see everywhere.

Mt Al

WKR
I always like to look at how many trips I might make with the vehicle I already own outright compared to what a "better" mileage vehicle would cost. With some rough calcs on how much it would cost to drive your Taco round trip you could do 30-35 of those trips for what it would cost to buy a used Subi Crosstrek. Something to chew on. You can pay the man now or you can pay him later ;)

When friends tell me they just spent $35K on this fantastic wizzbang hybrid to save gas and beat the price at the pump I smile inwardly knowing I can fill my current paid off daily drivers tank for 10 years at current fuel prices for what they paid for that thing and I have no car payment to make :)
Most quoted/replied to post in this thread! You're right on IMHO.
Insurance, depreciation, licensing, etc, are also real costs worth considering along with mileage.

I'm also in the Subaru Outback camp - but old ones with the head gaskets already fixed. For what I and 99% of others do, a stock Suby will get the job done just fine. Not a rock crawler at all, relatively low clearance on the older/cheap ones but I have yet to have to turn around on BLM and Forest Service roads. There are certainly places it won't go and a lifted truck will, just haven't found them where I hunt across Montana. Love the 25mpg, stupid low license, insurance costs and it's about done depreciating. Can sleep in the back, stack dead critters or a canoe on the roof, don't have to baby it at all.

My 2 cents

We have an outback and an F150. The Outback frequently makes the 180 mile 1 way trip to northern MN and gets around the USFS roads there well but the F150 gets all the western trips. The F150 also gets better mileage than your Taco though.

I've tried penciling it out in the past (albeit with lower gas prices) and with insurance and depreciation it didn't pay to have a second more fuel efficient vehicle.

That ranger tremor option seems like maybe a good compromise, get better mileage and cash in on your Taco's market value.

Mt Al

WKR
A lot of guys drive large, expensive and fuel hungry vehicles 95% of the time for the 5% they need it. Then fuel goes up and they start screaming. I’m not talking about guys that make their living with their truck but the army of underutilized suburban dwelling spotless 4x4’s and mall crawlers I see everywhere.

Agreed (but would change to 99% of the time for the 1% needed) and no intention of criticizing what people drive/buy and use. I personally lifted/modified/pimped out several trucks for over 25 years and that hobby kept me sane. But I knew I'd be paying way more for gas.

I also have a 4x4 Tacoma. This is the way I look at it: It's not the best on gas but it was last FOREVER and all those payments I don't have to make will buy a lot of gas.
And I’m pretty damn impressed where I can drive the thing stock.
I do the opposite in that I drive a very fuel efficient Subaru Impreza when I’m not hunting and then rent a jeep or a full sized pickup for my hunting trips. Realistically I commute 20-25k miles/year and hunting is 3k miles a year. Chasing efficiency on 10-15% of my mileage doesn’t make a lot of sense compared to optimizing my vehicle 85-90% of the time. It ends up saving me $2k-$3k/year in fuel that can go into rentals and flights.

Probably true, but I hunt 7 months of the year between late season cow tags, birds and spring bear, and I use the unmaintained FS roads near my house all summer. Luckily my wife has a CRV that we use for around town trips and road trips that don't involve off road driving.

Weldor

WKR
I run a 2018 Ram 2500 megacab 4x4 , average mileage climbing grade and around town 21. It has a 3.42 axle. No gasser can keep up with that. I looked and drove others for years before going with the Ram. Diesel costs alittle more but goes farther. Still like everyone inflation is killing prices. Wait awhile there will plenty of deals after all the new covid rver's have to go back to work. All those trucks will be up for sale.

rideold

WKR
I've been around the math on this as well and came to the conclusion some have that keeping my Sequoia makes more financial sense. Now, when it is done (I have 280,000+ miles on it now) in another 75-100,000 miles I will most definitely be looking at a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle! Easiest way to save at the pump is drive less so I've gotten more intentional about when and for what I get behind the wheel.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the market too, looking at the crosstreks. My wife's acadia is running with timing chain issues and a failing tranny at 200k so it's just luck we're hitting this at the wrong time - otherwise I agree pump savings on a newer vehicle are difficult to offset with the cash for a newer vehicle in this market.

Subbing to see other recommendations

parshal

WKR
I've got a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with about 34k miles. I cleared trip B when I bought it and it has averaged 18.3 mpg including towing a 2k trailer in the mountains. It's got a topper, dog box, 1.5" lift and quite a bit of stuff in it. It weighed 7k with me the last time I weighed it. It's not bad mileage.

I've taken to driving my 2014 Ford Escape that gets 23 mpg. My wife has the same car and it gets 26 mpg regardless of who is driving it. Mine was totaled in a hail storm at 60k miles. It now has 100k. That little car goes a lot places where it shouldn't. I wouldn't take it down some of the trails I've taken my truck but I take it nearly everywhere now. It does fill up fast, though, so I have lean down what I take. I can't take it elk hunting unless my buddy takes his truck for some of the trails.

The argument “it’s paid for, so suck it up because you’re saving money” is pretty lame, if the guys selling a 2015 Tacoma with all of the extras he is gonna clear enough cash to buy that smaller more fuel efficient SUV and probably get his first 5 tanks of gas out the deal in the form of leftover cash.

If it were me I would skip paying the prices that a Toyota RAV4 or Subaru are going to demand and get a Kia Sorento with the 3.3L V6. An AWD SUV with 3rd row capability so if you lay down all the seats you’ll have plenty of cargo room, you’ll also get 28 mpg and have a bulletproof vehicle that will never break down. In 11 years of Kia ownership I’ve not had a vehicle in the shop for anything other than oil changes and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
The Sorento isn't a bad choice; good size, great mpg, comfortable, mostly reliable. I wouldn't say bulletproof, however. We've had two, a 17 and currently a 19. The trans went out in the 17 just under 100k and the rear main blew out recently in the 19. Few other mostly minor issues as well. Overall we like it but we haven't had a perfect experience with either.