Good Car Camping Tent

I will say, if you plan on using a stove or doing lots of winter camping with chances of heavy snow, get a wall tent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You can get a floor sewn into a wall tent

A sewn in floor is a big disadvantage IMO. Also what's the biggest size Kodiak? For 4 people I wouldn't want to go smaller than a 14x16 tent because I'd also want to have a table in it, room for four cots, maybe a stove, and storage room for everyone's stuff.

Davis tent has a video of a 10 year old (or 12yo...can't remember) girl setting up one of their wall tents by herself.

I use the hell out of my canvas 14x14 Beckel Eena TT modified tipi.
Super easy setup, spacious, stove ready, zippered windows w/ mesh, sod/snow skirt and only 40lbs. Warm in winter, cool in summer.
Hunt'nFish

Just one man talking here but I went with a cheapo coleman fast set up tent for family car camping. Here's why:

- It is hard enough getting my Ole lady in the woods. No floor and no screens would be a deal breaker.
- It sets up in literally 2 minutes by myself.
- it gets used 1-2x per year and will last about as long as I need it to.
- it is cheap enough that I will buy another one when it fails
- it can handle weather well beyond what my wife would tolerate. Anything worse and she is going to make me take her to a hotel anyway

It won't double as a hunting tent for me and my buddies at base camp but it serves the intended need for way less $$$.

Just one man talking here but I went with a cheapo coleman fast set up tent for family car camping. Here's why:

- It is hard enough getting my Ole lady in the woods. No floor and no screens would be a deal breaker.
- It sets up in literally 2 minutes by myself.
- it gets used 1-2x per year and will last about as long as I need it to.
- it is cheap enough that I will buy another one when it fails
- it can handle weather well beyond what my wife would tolerate. Anything worse and she is going to make me take her to a hotel anyway

It won't double as a hunting tent for me and my buddies at base camp but it serves the intended need for way less $$$.

Desk Jockey gets it.

We are planning a trip in a few weeks. Was planning on bringing the tipi as it is easy to set up. Wife asked if we had to bring "that piece of crap tent" and if so she was sleeping in the jeep. Now we have a decent 8 man Eureka bit it is a PITA to set up, I was just bringing the Luna (which cost 3x as much) as it is so easy. Need to rethink that....lol.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

About 5 years ago a group of us went camping in early August. One buddy couldn't get off work early enough so he gave me his tent to set up so it would be ready to go when he and his family got up there. It was a brand new large family 2-room "el-cheapo" Coleman or Eureka....can't remember for sure.

So we set up all the tents and took off to do some exploring in the vehicles. While we were gone, a rain storm came through. When we got back to the tents his tent was completely collapsed and every pole bent or broken. The entire thing caved in and was now a giant pool of water.

Just think about "where" you may be using this tent, as storms are very common especially in the mountains.

Bulldawg

WKR
I just got a Cabela's instinct Alaska tent and I'm pretty impressed so far.. Pain to set up solo but it seems pretty bomb proof especially for the price. 6 man tent I could put two big cots in when I want to and it seemed like it could hold up to a hurricane

svivian

WKR
The Kodak canvas cabin tent is a great choice.... I love mine! If its just two of us I can set it up with the awning and have tons of room. If there is more like 4-6 people I put the wall option up around the awning and now I have a 10x12 main room with floor and an 8x8 second room floor less. It s plenty of room for 6 and we use a buddy heater for colder conditions. I haven't pulled the trigger on setting up a stove option yet though but highly considering.

About 5 years ago a group of us went camping in early August. One buddy couldn't get off work early enough so he gave me his tent to set up so it would be ready to go when he and his family got up there. It was a brand new large family 2-room "el-cheapo" Coleman or Eureka....can't remember for sure.

So we set up all the tents and took off to do some exploring in the vehicles. While we were gone, a rain storm came through. When we got back to the tents his tent was completely collapsed and every pole bent or broken. The entire thing caved in and was now a giant pool of water.

Just think about "where" you may be using this tent, as storms are very common especially in the mountains.

Yes. My coleman is a true POS. I won't use it for myself. I have other gear for that. And I wouldn't trust it for my family in harsh weather or anywhere getting rained out would mean anything more dangerous than a late drive to the nearest hotel or at worst a night sleeping in a car at the campground.

i bought my tent for $150 on sale at Amazon. If I wanted to I could buy another and keep it in the car as a spare and still come out at half the $$$ for a cabelas or Kodiak. The original post said the cheaper the better. For me and my $$ that coleman is going to stand up to worse weather and last fo more camping trips than my wife will ever allo me to take her on so it woks for me.

If my kids like to camp or I want something to pull double duty as a hunting camp shelter I would definitely go it's something up market. For a cheap solution to every thing from beach changing room to cub scout outings to car camping in parks with grills, fire rings and picnic tables, it works for me.

Ruskin

WKR
Costco has the Coleman 10 person tent cabin for $190.

I saw it in use this weekend and it worked well for tent camping with the scouts. It won't take a lot of abuse, but treat it well and it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
The cotton canvas tents are awesome if you are in cold weather running a wood burning stove, BUT, being from Houston you better beware of mold with a cotton canvas tent. I know they are treated, but humidity is a fact of life in the south, especially near the Gulf like in Houston.
Dome tents are tough for a group, because of their shape. The standing / usable room in a true dome tent is not great. I had a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8 man for 15-20 years and that tent was bomb proof, but 2 or 3 people would fill this tent up easily with cots and gear. If you get bad weather and everyone is in the tent, dome tents get very small very fast.
The synthetic wall tents are great for groups, especially if you are gonna use in cold weather with a wood burning stove. These aren't as warm or breathable as a cotton canvas, but a properly sized stove will get them plenty warm and eliminate condensation. Also, they are lighter and less concern of mold rot if you live in warm / humid climates. I've had a Cabela's Alaknak tent for the past 3 years and this thing is great for a group. Get one size larger than you think you need. My 12 X 20 would work for about 4 people with all gear, cots, food, table, etc for a week or more, but I don't like to be crowded. It may work for 5 if you can tolerate a little crowding. Plenty of room to stand and move around without stepping on each other or others gear.

Good Luck

JigStick

WKR
The cabelas instinct line fits the bill perfect for you. I have their Bighorn that I use for basecamp and car camping and it’s very well made and feature rich.

The Instinct line is less heavy and easier to set up. Has tons of room. Handles any weather imaginable. Has a stove jack. Easy to set up by yourself.

I wall tent is overkill if you ask me. And a bitch to put up by yourself. Incredibly heavy.99910