Gone

I use 50’s, 52’s, and 53’s in some of my rifles.

The only thing with your fast twist is the RPM’s. If you are shooting them fast out of a fast twist the jackets could come apart.

OP
C

CatManDo

FNG
Then I assume you're not using a 1:7 twist barrel. I'll probably try and trade my stash of 50's and 52's.

Then I assume you're not using a 1:7 twist barrel. I'll probably try and trade my stash of 50's and 52's.
It all depends on your cartridge. I’ve got a slow twist 22 creed to shoot the 53’s. I’ve got a fast twist 223 that is fine to shoot the 53’s also.

yeahkkyle

FNG
I shot 52gr eldm's out of my 22nosler 1:8 at 3644fps but after the 4th runner due to pencil hole in/out on coyotes I switched to 55 noslers.

I shot 52gr eldm's out of my 22nosler 1:8 at 3644fps but after the 4th runner due to pencil hole in/out on coyotes I switched to 55 noslers.
That's interesting. I've shot 50+ coyotes with the 52 ELD m and have only had excessive damage. 22-250 with an 18" barrel. I've never chrono'd it. According to the book it is 3800 fps with a 22" barrel. I've killed them from 50-430 yards with it. I am actually going to try a different bullet in it because of the damage.

yeahkkyle

FNG
That's interesting. I've shot 50+ coyotes with the 52 ELD m and have only had excessive damage. 22-250 with an 18" barrel. I've never chrono'd it. According to the book it is 3800 fps with a 22" barrel. I've killed them from 50-430 yards with it. I am actually going to try a different bullet in it because of the damage.
I was surprised as well because I shoot 108gr eldm out of a 6cm(much slower) and it leaves a baseball size exit most times and drt. I don't keep the pelts so damage isn't a concern. I've shot a couple that flipped over, feet up then get up and run 5-10 seconds later. Of the 8 that I did recover before switching from the 52's, all had a pencil in and pencil out. The round was accurate I just wasn't happy with runners. I've recovered 30+ since switching to 55gr nbt's this past spring.

I've read mixed responses like this with the 53gr vmax on other pages. A lot of .223 shooters say they splash but 22-250 shooters say they are killer.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I was surprised as well because I shoot 108gr eldm out of a 6cm(much slower) and it leaves a baseball size exit most times and drt. I don't keep the pelts so damage isn't a concern. I've shot a couple that flipped over, feet up then get up and run 5-10 seconds later. Of the 8 that I did recover before switching from the 52's, all had a pencil in and pencil out. The round was accurate I just wasn't happy with runners. I've recovered 30+ since switching to 55gr nbt's this past spring.

I've read mixed responses like this with the 53gr vmax on other pages. A lot of .223 shooters say they splash but 22-250 shooters say they are killer.
The nosler ballistic tips are by far my favorite bullet for coyotes.

I am doing a direct comparison to 55nbts to vmax this year out of my 22-250. Last year I did 55gr seirra spt vs vmax.

53gr vmax out of 223 will produce a lot of runners!

yeahkkyle

FNG
Why would you 'recover' them after fur season?
Just personal preference but I don't count it as a kill unless I put my hands on it, even if they are just going in a ditch afterwards. Price of fur isn't worth it to me to keep them anyway, I mainly do it to help farmers or the challenge.

yeahkkyle

FNG
The nosler ballistic tips are by far my favorite bullet for coyotes.
I will continue to run the 55nbts in my 22n as they are my favorite as well. I have some 60's but like to keep speed above 3500fps. Tossing around the idea of building a 22cm or just getting a 22-250 to run the 60's I have. Wish they would start producing the 6mm 70gr's again. I thought I read before that Nosler was going to start production again but I haven't seen any for sale.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I will continue to run the 55nbts in my 22n as they are my favorite as well. I have some 60's but like to keep speed above 3500fps. Tossing around the idea of building a 22cm or just getting a 22-250 to run the 60's I have. Wish they would start producing the 6mm 70gr's again. I thought I read before that Nosler was going to start production again but I haven't seen any for sale.
I might have 70's some sitting around. I'll have to check my stash when I get back home. They are a hammer on coyotes.

WCB

WKR
50gr Vmax were my favorite bullets. Shot them in factory loaded Federals. Never shot in a 7 twist. Shot a lot of them through a 8 with no issues. Currently shoot 50gr hollow points but again through an 8 twist.
Still shoot the 40gr vmax through on 8 twist with no issues.

all .223 rem

Dirtbag

WKR
agreed, the 53's dont always stabilize well in slow twists like 1:14 especially in cold weather so you have to be careful though.

My absolute favorite bullet for coyotes is the 53 grain Sierra matchking. stabilizes very well and has been fairly fur friendly. never really have runners either. the 52 grains are great as well but for whatever reason can be less fur friendly.

xsn10s

WKR

I had a DRT exit at 94 yards with my AR15 and 53 gr VMAX. MV 3080fps. 1-9" twist.