gold and silver as inflation hedge?

*zap*

WKR
there is probably a reason the govt keeps 8+ metric tons of gold on hand...or so they say. Fed reserve in NYC has another 6 tons.

Which really is not much with inflation and all. If I did the math right the feds just sent 80x the value of our gold reserve to uke....cause after all.....putin is very bad.

But we have plenty of ink and paper left.......so no worries.

It is tough to look at the world outside of the lifespans of people who influence you. That gives us roughly 150 years of perspective (Grandparents’ birth to your death). In the overall scheme of humanity, this is a minuscule amount of time.

Things like climate change, precious metals, and the repetition of societal governments become clearer when the center of the universe is not based around you. Humanity makes stupid decisions when it concentrates perspective on a handful of generations. Remember that time we thought earth was the center of the universe, and we burned heretics who said different?

Anyway, precious metals have held value longer than anything else over human history. If you collect coins, metal bars, and jewelry with the primary intent of it being heirlooms, you will probably get the added benefit of a successor being better-off in the future. If you solely buy metal to hedge against a dollar, then do a small amount and be sure to diversify a lot further than metal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Precious metals are more tied to the value of the dollar than straight inflation. The dollar has been strong so far this year. Keep an eye on it. We can't just keep printing money without devaluing what that money represents. When the dollar gets devalued, precious metals will soar. We're $30+ trillion in debt, inflation is higher, the Fed is tightening, and the stock market is STILL closer to a top than it's not.

I bought more metals and ETF's in March 2020, so I have a large cushion from where I bought them right now. But I expect them to go higher in the next few years.

I buy silver as a way to squirrel away money. it's not accounted for in my net worth or taxes. I've heard a few first hand stories about why it's good to have. certainly harder to seize than digital assets

OP
B
i remember watching silver go up in college ,so i figured i would invest some of my park ranger money in silver and of course beer.
thats when i learned the hunt brothers knew more about that game than a park ranger,
should have bought more beer.hah

Moserkr

WKR
I invested in copper, brass, and lead years ago. It has outpaced gold in value in my lifetime hands down. Still have gold too, but I prefer to find it for “free”.