Going to try this again, but much earlier in the process. Advice on a WY mule deer and pronghorn combo hunt.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Theres plenty of pronghorn and mulies along 85 between Lusk and Newcastle... right between the lines on the highway.

Rich M

WKR
I wasnt able to find a unit i could draw that had a concurrent grouse or other bird season. WY is whack when it comes to keeping seasons apart.

Itvsure isnt easy to do a bird and anything hunt and im sure it is intentional to preserve the birds.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Theres plenty of pronghorn and mulies along 85 between Lusk and Newcastle... right between the lines on the highway.
I checked on OnX and there are a few little chunks of BLM land along 85 between those two towns. Thanks for the info.

OP
ForrestGuy82
I wasnt able to find a unit i could draw that had a concurrent grouse or other bird season. WY is whack when it comes to keeping seasons apart.

Itvsure isnt easy to do a bird and anything hunt and im sure it is intentional to preserve the birds.
That would be a huge bummer, I know in Idaho that was a nice little protein lift and a fun time chasing grouse when we couldn't find mule deer. Wyoming can definitely be confusing with their different species season dates.

wytx

WKR
Sage grouse are very restricted seasons due to their low numbers, some folks want them listed so the state sets very short seasons in some areas and none on East side I don't think, some in NE.
They are not known for being good eating birds, just a heads up.
Dusky grouse open in Sept and go a long time, they are in the mountains and Black hills though.

Chukar and gray partridge open in Sept also, as does sharp-tailed grouse.

Great fishing in Fall for spawning trout, we have good walleye fishing too.

Plenty of open bird seasons during big game, not sure about your point there.
Waterfowl too.

Rich M

WKR
Ymmv, im going fishing this fall cause bird hunting isnt an option due to no open seasons where i’ll be that week. Not gonna drive across the state to hunt birds without a dog. Ymmv

Last edited:
I think aside from sage grouse (which has very limited seasons) and pheasants (which open in November) there are a ton of bird seasons open in Wyoming during the rifle seasons for most big game.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Sage grouse are very restricted seasons due to their low numbers, some folks want them listed so the state sets very short seasons in some areas and none on East side I don't think, some in NE.
Dusky grouse open in Sept and go a long time, they are in the mountains and Black hills though.

Waterfowl too.

Thank you for the additional information and links pertaining to small game and fishing concurrent to the big game seasons.

Waterfowl too.

What bodies of water have walleyes or would you recommend fishing for them?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk