Going to Canada. Fly or drive?

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to do a NL moose hunt in 2022 or 2023. I don’t mind driving long distances and in fact would probably prefer to drive in order to bring all my stuff with me. I’ve been reading about what a PITA it is at Canadian airports with firearms.

How is it to drive across the border, ferry, etc. with firearms?

Just drove to northern Alberta to moose hunt in late September. US side just feel like they have something to prove as you get their stamp and signature on the firearms form before crossing. Canada side everyone was very nice but thorough. Emptied the truck out checked the guns and reloaded how we had it. All in about 1.5 hours from when we walked into the US side and we were back on our way. I would say it’s about as easy as it can get.

coming back, pulled up to the gate, tried to hand the lady the US Form that was a pain to get stamped and signed. She says I don’t need that and just takes the passports. Asks us what we bought and if we got anything. Less than 5 minutes back on our way.

those were both late at night

tntrker

WKR
I went this year on a hunt booked 3 years ago and had every intention of driving, until Covid dropped the price via plane to $400 each way. As long as your paperwork is in order it's smooth sailing via the airports. HOWEVER, my friend had his luggage delayed on the way there, we arrived Sunday and his luggage made it Wed evening. AND his rifle lost on the way back. On the plane, we watched the luggage cart arrive at our plane and we could see our bags and rifles to be loaded. As it turns out, they will load the plane until it reaches either max weight limit or room then return to the terminal with left over bags and rifles. It's a crap shoot if you get your luggage/rifle when flying. Wear your boots, take a set of hunting clothes, bino's, socks, ets in carry on so if luggage is lost you can still hunt in your clothes and not loaned clothes. PLAN on at least 3 hrs to get through US Customs coming back at the airport. We got through Canadian Customs pretty quick, say an hour. Get the Nexus or Global Entry through US Customs before going and it'll save you ALOT of time standing in line getting back in.

I researched the drive to Deer Lake from SC and it didn't seem bad at all. It was highly recommended to book a room on the ferry as early as possible, have no DUI's, and paperwork handy. Take a freezer and generator with you and you can bring back your harvest, or coolers and ice works as well....,Good Luck!!