Going to a new arrow setup

Bump79

WKR
If durability is you're number one concern I'd look at shafts with very thick walls. The Kill'n Stix Micro Ventilator has the thickest walled shaft that I have found, next to the Arachnid Recluse which is .125 ID.

The Kill'n Stix Micro Ventilator in 250 spine is the same OD as a RIP TKO 250 with an increase of wall area of 47%. That's beefy right there.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the Axis 5mm Match Grade, with 50gr inserts, 25 gr impact collars, and 4 fletched. Total arrow weight is right around 480gr and I absolutely love them.

I was not happy with the RIP XV's I built earlier this year. I have been using Rampages with collars and GT unibushings and G nocks. I have yet to break one.

cvanman

Lil-Rokslider
Been super happy with Black Eagle Deep Impacts. Only broke one - went through both shoulders on a 250# hog he fell on it. It is a heavy 11 gpi arrow with medium modulus carbon, which means it is less fragile.

Shot deer, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, (unfortunately no elk) and have had no issues.

The one place that I have broken a few arrows is long-distance shooting and stacking arrows/slapping. I will ding the nock side of the carbon and have to throw it away due to the potential for failure. But that is my fault.

been thinking about the x-impact to play around with - but it is high modulus and will be less durable.

OP
Jacob Chapman
GT Hunter Pro: 300 spine 29" standard insert with 20 grain insert weight and 125 head.

H.P. comes out to about 480 grains. Assuming I get PERFECT arrow flight-would 480 be good for elk, assuming a quality broadhead and tune of course?

Blandry

WKR
you could go with a heavier bh to increase foc and minimally affect impact 0-40 yds but meh... yeah that works if you get lucky errrr, make a good shot

Pramo

WKR
I'm experimenting with 4mm axis match and have used regular axis since they came out forever ago. My 4mm build is 300 spine, 2 hit Easton inserts, iron will titanium collar, exodus deep six and 3 blazer vanes. Total weight is 450 grains. I killed a nice buck with this last week so far I like them but I do feel they need a collar with hit inserts based on my testing.

For the 5mm I use 300 spine, 50 grain brass hit insert and exodus head, never used a collar with 5mm Axis. Total weight is 490. Never had problems killing elk, deer and bear with them and the front end blowing up without a collar.

I would go with some form of .245-6 standard ID size. You have the option of aluminum or other inserts to vary your tip weight.

I went through this last spring when trying to setup a spare bow. Thought about a small diameter arrow and did not feel confident in what was out there because of all the "components" I went Gold Tip Velocity XT. I'm shooting Hunter XT in primary with heavier setup.

Breaking arrows on pass throughs...trees or even rocks has not been common with standard components that are glued properly.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Great convo with Bill

I'm going to just go back to the ole reliable 5mm Axis Match grade's, they'll have Bill's 25 grain HIT and the 10 grain titanium collar.

125 Solid and 125 grain Wide's will be ordered before long

jroot327

FNG
Either of the Axis options would be good. I'm building the 4mm LR match grade now with ethics. Hoping it'll be a solid setup. Personally, when I shoot an animal, I don't expect to get my arrow back. If I do, great but there is so much that can happen. As long as I get the penetration I need and expect, I consider that good performance. Hitting trees, or rocks, or multiple shoulders isn't a weakness in the arrow IMO.