Going out west---

I guess it depends a lot on her and the child. My son was colicky would not sleep for more than two hours at a time the first 4ish months. While I would’ve loved to go anywhere during that time just to get a good nights sleep she probably would’ve murdered me.
My daughter was as easy as could be and I would’ve felt totally comfortable going out the week following delivery.
If she says you’re good, I’d say go.

Assuming your wife is a reasonable person, I think if she has a support system close to her (friends, family) then you're good to go.

One downside tho, a 1 month old is quite a bit different than a 3 or 4 month old. They are way more fun and interactive later. That's good dad time right there.

Matt.ken

FNG
The 4 month sleep regression is real. There was a sweet spot from months 2-3 where sleep was good and I was useless anyways and my wife didn't mind me being away. Starting at 4 months it was hell on earth. We were up every 40 minutes all night long. I still went hunting but I had to kiss some ass before and after.

Me and my wife planned our two sons around hunting season. She knew better then to have to fight with me every year about their birthdays and hunting. My first was born in February, but our youngest was born in July. He was six weeks early so it was a little rougher. I still went to Wyoming that year and hunted and hunted around the house quite a bit.

I told my wife when we started dating that I'd kick her to the curb before I quit hunting. I was joking with her but she knew from day one that it was part of who I am. I just make an effort to spoil her and do a lot of things she likes to do when it's not hunting season.

Just don't be a dick or be lazy when you're home and they'll usually be cool with you having you're own thing.

pugwylde

FNG
I would at least get them home from the hospital.

Seriously...it's 100% up to the wife
This. The best way to keep doing something you love is by making sure your significant other feels like they have a say.

grfox92

WKR
Up to your wife. Is she a stay at home mom?

My wife did great after all 3 kids, both physically and emotionally. I hunted 3 days after my first born. Close to home. But still hunted.

It depends how she is feeling and how cool your wife is. My wife is super cool .

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

It depends how she is feeling and how cool your wife is. My wife is super cool
emoji41.png
But why would anybody marry one that isn't super cool?

My son has been my #1 priority in my life since he was born. That will be 10 years ago tomorrow.

If you do it right he will one day hunt with you and carry stuff in and out for you. Do it wrong and you’ll be out of the game earlier than you wished and your kid will be living across the country.

There isn't a hunt on earth as great as those first 6 weeks after brining a baby home. That's the most enjoyable they are for the first year of their life. Maybe their whole life. They just chill and will sleep (usually on you) and snuggle and it's great. I wouldn't want to miss a day of that first 6 weeks. After that, it's a crap shoot. A small fraction will keep that vibe, but most will have some sort of rollercoaster. Some will go the next 3-4 months of straight up screaming for hours on end and there's literally nothing you can do about it. Some may get back on track after a month or two. Usually, the temperament and sleep will be completely out of the parent's hands.

My #1 piece of advice would be to not ask a hunting forum full of tough guys. Number two would be never compare what you're doing or how "hardcore" you are to anyone else when it comes to taking care of your four walls and hunting. And number three would be to make sure whatever you plan is very malleable, and your hunting partner knows that. At 3 months old, your kid could be a colicky disaster. By that age, it's almost more about your wife than your child. And it's your responsibility to step up and put your wife first and cancel or delay the trip if necessary.

Congratulations. I would cancel a fall of free sheep hunts tomorrow for another kid. You simply can't have too many of them. We didn't time our first, we just wanted a child - he was born in October so didn't really mess with many plans. After the, we kinda planned them. But again, it doesn't matter; a child is eons better than any hunting trip. Do it right from the start with your spouse and child. Make the necessary sacrifices on the front end and you'll have a lifetime of hunting with and without them.

To your original question, I personally would not plan a trip longer than a couple of days with a child under 3 months of age.

Marble

WKR
She delivers July 10th, we go out in October, her 2nd my first. Just wondering what everyones input was. She has said its no problem go ahead, however I feel like thats a mess in itself.
Sounds like you have a problem with it more than her. Which is totally OK. Everyone feels different about it and what's right for one isn't for another.

For me, babies born in August, 3 of them, I went every year.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Every woman and relationship is different in relation to this so it's hard for others to give accurate advice.

My first was born early sept and I went elk hunting over thanksgiving week. It was a good tag that I was confident I'd fill early so only planned on being there for the first 4 days of a 5 day season. I was on the elk and finally had a bull that fit my goals on day 4 but couldn't close the deal and it was still an easy choice to go see mama and baby rather than staying for day 5.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
It seems like most guys marry ones that aren't super cool and give them a really hard time about going hunting.

Nah mine is cool as shit about hunting. It has nothing to do with being cool and respecting my SO.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
There isn't a hunt on earth as great as those first 6 weeks after brining a baby home. That's the most enjoyable they are for the first year of their life. Maybe their whole life. They just chill and will sleep (usually on you) and snuggle and it's great. I wouldn't want to miss a day of that first 6 weeks. After that, it's a crap shoot. A small fraction will keep that vibe, but most will have some sort of rollercoaster. Some will go the next 3-4 months of straight up screaming for hours on end and there's literally nothing you can do about it. Some may get back on track after a month or two. Usually, the temperament and sleep will be completely out of the parent's hands.

My #1 piece of advice would be to not ask a hunting forum full of tough guys. Number two would be never compare what you're doing or how "hardcore" you are to anyone else when it comes to taking care of your four walls and hunting. And number three would be to make sure whatever you plan is very malleable, and your hunting partner knows that. At 3 months old, your kid could be a colicky disaster. By that age, it's almost more about your wife than your child. And it's your responsibility to step up and put your wife first and cancel or delay the trip if necessary.

Congratulations. I would cancel a fall of free sheep hunts tomorrow for another kid. You simply can't have too many of them. We didn't time our first, we just wanted a child - he was born in October so didn't really mess with many plans. After the, we kinda planned them. But again, it doesn't matter; a child is eons better than any hunting trip. Do it right from the start with your spouse and child. Make the necessary sacrifices on the front end and you'll have a lifetime of hunting with and without them.

To your original question, I personally would not plan a trip longer than a couple of days with a child under 3 months of age.
Thank you.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bringing my wife and newborn along on a wyoming antelope hunt come September. He's due in August. Fingers crossed it goes along smoothly.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
Nah mine is cool as shit about hunting. It has nothing to do with being cool and respecting my SO.
To be clear, that wasn't geared towards you. More so referencing an old thread where a staggering number of members were disclosing how little they get to hunt because their wives don't let them.

In regards to your situation, do you need to commit to this hunt right now? Or do you have some freedom to see how things are going and decide a month before? It's entirely possible that you yourself might not want to leave at that time.

I once left a 10 day out of state hunt at day 8 because I missed my kids really bad. I have freedom to hunt a lot, but choose to only hunt away from home for 4 days at a time. Any more then that and I start missing my wife and kids.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
To be clear, that wasn't geared towards you. More so referencing an old thread where a staggering number of members were disclosing how little they get to hunt because their wives don't let them.

In regards to your situation, do you need to commit to this hunt right now? Or do you have some freedom to see how things are going and decide a month before? It's entirely possible that you yourself might not want to leave at that time.

I once left a 10 day out of state hunt at day 8 because I missed my kids really bad. I have freedom to hunt a lot, but choose to only hunt away from home for 4 days at a time. Any more then that and I start missing my wife and kids.

Oh Definitely can decide the day before, not a huge deal. Just was getting an idea of what others have experienced.