Going Lighter: Which Tent/Shelter?

As has happened with much of my first batch of backcountry gear, I've decided to swap out my tent. I bought a Badlands Mirage because I got a deal on it, but it's just too dang heavy and bulky. It's bombproof and roomy (I'll write up a review later on) but I think it's a bit overkill for a 3 season tent. It comes in at close to 6lbs.
I want to go as light as possible for when I use it for overnight shed trips. Right now I'm looking at the Easton Kilo Carbon 2p, Big Agnes Fly Creek 2p or some sort of a tarp shelter. Does anyone have any experience with the Easton Kilo or BA Fly Creek? What are your thoughts on a tarp; no floor or should I throw one in?

Last edited:
I've owned both the FC 1 and 2. I sold the 1, bought the 2 for the larger size and minimal wt. increase. The Fly Creek worked well for me and weathered some pretty stiff winds with lots of rain, although one night the wind had the tent almost totally flat against the ground/me all night and I thought that it would eventually fail, but it didn't. In the constant quest to lighten my load I ended up selling the 2 and purchasing my first floorless shelter. It has worked extremely well and earlier this year I bit the bullet and bought another floorless shelter in cuben fiber. I've used the cf shelter several times but never in inclement weather so I don't have any first hand experience as far as that goes. That being said, I will be taking the cf down to Kodiak at the end of the month for a 2 week goat hunt and I'm pretty sure I will get the opportunity to put it through it's paces, although it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I was wrong.:)

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I vote floorless. I have the mountainsmith Lt and don't see any need for a floored shelter in the high country. Had my mountainsmith in rain, wind, hail and snow, it held up great just select your site well.

I use floorless. That said, a tent is very nice. And itll work in all situations, where floorless may lack in some areas, it makes up for that in weight.

Stid2677

WKR
I keep my Kifaru Paratarp with annex with me at all times. It has served me well as a siwash shelter.

P8120024_zps8f2e04eb.jpg

I highly recommend the BA flycreek UL 2. I have spend over 40 nights in it from Alaska to the high country of Colorado with zero complaints. Never worry about bugs or rodents getting in and eating your food or gear. Plus, if you're setting up on wet ground you don't have to be so careful with your stuff. I cannot help with floor less recommendations, it's intriguing but it the weather is good I don't even bother with setting up a tent.

I agree that the FC is a very good tent, and it's hard to beat that wt. for a double walled tent. The only problem I had with mine was that it didn't do so well in a good steady blow. Here's what 40+ mph winds do to it. The night before this picture was taken we had 60-70 mph sustained winds with a lot of rain and the tent, with exception of the head, was completely flattened down on me all night long. I only had one guy line rip loose, which surprised me, as I was thinking there was a good chance that the whole tent was going to blow apart.

Attachments

• P1010143.jpg
    P1010143.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 193

Stid2677

WKR
Do you know what the wt. is on that Steve? I can't seem to find the wt. of the annex on Kifaru's website. Just curious what you have for an exact wt.

My ParaTarp with Annex in a Kifaru pullout weighs 20 OZs, just over 2lbs with the MSR Groung Hogs.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would also take a look at the teepee style tents. I have been using the Golite SL5 for a couple seasons now and really like it. For two guys it is a palace in the back country. It is also very versatile with the ability to use it without the inner nest as a floorless shelter. You can also use hiking sticks for the center pole if you don't want to carry the one that comes with it. I just got back from a Colorado mule deer hunt where we had three of us sleeping in it with plenty of room for us and all of our gear. Without the inner nest, it weighs under three pounds.

01Sunrisecamp_zps29d65495.jpg

01Paulatcamp_zpsf8394bf4.jpg

OP
PathFinder
I've been taking a serious look at several of the tepee style shelters. I really like the overall design and minimal weight. How do they do in ugly storms compared to a tent?

Stid2677

WKR
I've been taking a serious look at several of the tepee style shelters. I really like the overall design and minimal weight. How do they do in ugly storms compared to a tent?

They do well,, this photo was taken in high wind and blowing snow.

P9040159_zpsd0dd0c9c.jpg

Bighorse

WKR
I personally prefer the SL3 as my high mountain windy conditions shelter. It has a little lower profile and seems to shed the wind better than my SL5. The SL5 is a better shelter for stormy conditions, the type where your holed up and not hunting. It gives you ample space for a stove, wood, and getting your gear spread out and accessable. It's great for two in those conditions. You need some kind of closed cell foam to give you ground moisture protection. Then your set! Go out climb mountains and kill things. Sleep! Repeat as needed.
I too never move about the mountains without my shelter. When making tactical decisions on a stalk or harvest you need the latitude of being able to sleep where you stand. So lighten your shelter/sleep kit. I often have a redundant system that way I'm not committed to any one camp location.

Here's a one pound tarp that I had on a sheep hunt. We got tired after harvesting the ram and just slept right there. Easy breezy!
I also had a tepee along on the trip too. This is the SL3 in the Alaska Range. Here is the yellow SL5 fully pimped out with all the luxury.

Attachments

• foster photos 175.jpg
    foster photos 175.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 317
  • foster photos 217.jpg
    foster photos 217.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 303
  • foster photos 616.jpg
    foster photos 616.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
They do well,, this photo was taken in high wind and blowing snow.

P9040159_zpsd0dd0c9c.jpg

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any tent that will outperform a mid/tipi under windy conditions. And if you're also comparing pound for pound and square footage you definitely won't find a tent that will out perform a mid.

Shrek

WKR
I absolutely love my Sawtooth ! It's a little bit heavier but you can stand up in it . That means a lot to me. I have a bad back and stooping down kills it and I hate crawling period. I'm mildly claustrophobic too and I can't sleep with the roof within a foot or two above my face.

another 'mid vote here. 3rd season running one in all sorts of weather. couple different configurations for me, none being more than 2.5lbs, for a 2 man shelter