Going from 30-06 to 308?

The cartridge matters less than the handling characteristics of the rifle. If you want light and handy for a style of hunting, buy/build to suit that.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Based upon the early feedback. I thought I’d forget the 308 and hunt with the 30-06 and if I wanted it shorter, I’d cut the barrel. Then the most recent posts came in from guys saying how much they like their 308s, especially the shorter, handier ones and it piqued my interest enough to call some of my local shops to see what the cost would be for my desired rifle. Then I called several some local gunsmiths to see what the the turnaround time would be to cut the barrel.

The lead times helped force my decision for this season. The lead times are too long between the rifle coming in and then waiting for it to be cut in order for my hunt next month.

Long story short, I’m sticking with the 30-06 this season. Thanks for all the input and advice!

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
My choice would be the .30-06.

Why?

It has a distinct advantage over the .308 Winchester when it comes to delivering heavier bullets.

Unckebob

WKR
In the 140-150gr range, I really prefer a 7mm over .308
I have a 3006, and going down, I'd go 7-08 before 308.

Good luck finding 7mm-08 ammo on store shelves.

Two weeks ago, I went to Cabelas to see what kind of tents they had in stock.

When I checked out the ammo aisle, they had clearly stocked up for deer season with lots of 243, 270, 6.5CM, 7mm RM, 308 and -06 to choose from. There was no 7mm-08 on the shelves.

Sevens

WKR
I got a 308 for the handiness. Short action and a 20” barrel make it 5-6” inches shorter than my other rifles. It is amazing how much that makes a difference. Have a TBAC ultra 5 coming for it that will make it the same length as my 7mm Rem Mag when installed, but will be much more pleasant on the ears.

I purchased the 308 before the whole ammo shortage, but have been pleasantly surprised with the plethora of 308 ammo available. Have a hard time justifying shooting my other rifles.

Last edited:

Coldtrail

WKR
I've done lots of real world shooting critters comparison between 30.06 & .308, I've yet to find anything the .30.06 does better, in fact inside 200yrds I believe the .308 has the edge with clean kills.

I had a 06 and 2-308's at once. Thought I'd shoot the 08's for range days and cheaper ammo. At some point had an epiphany (why would I shoot one gun all year at the range and pick up another for a hunt with zero distinct advantage shooting 180's or lesS?) I've since sold my 06, brass and dies. Happy 308 shooter here, light and lethal.

Weldor

WKR
I shoot a 16" bbl Sig cross 308, have taken Elk, deer, axis, fallow and a turkey. It is a light and handy 308 no short comings I can see. shoots moa or less at 550 with a 10x scope on it. Run mostly Nosler 150 with high bc's or sst's.

Last edited:
Following. I'm in the same boat. I've got my dad's classic wood stock 30-06 and I love hunting with it. Selling a couple rifles right now to make room for a compact suppressed 308 build. For the really scary stuff I've still got my 375 H&H but I feel good about the caliber/availability/shootability of the 308 especially with a suppressor

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Following. I'm in the same boat. I've got my dad's classic wood stock 30-06 and I love hunting with it. Selling a couple rifles right now to make room for a compact suppressed 308 build. For the really scary stuff I've still got my 375 H&H but I feel good about the caliber/availability/shootability of the 308 especially with a suppressor

I’m curious, how compact are you going? What barrel length? What is the length of your suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
Anyone needing a barrel cut in the Greenville SC area , or close, PM me. I know a guy thats done several for me. He does a very good job from his garage shop. He is a retired machinist, turned gunsmith. Ill get you his number.

If you cut that barrel on the ‘06, start researching a load that has a fast powder.

Traditional ‘06 loads out of 22” barrels are loaded with slow burning powders. Creating a lot of waste in energy in even a 22” barrel. Be ready for a severe muzzle flash in a 20” barreled version. You can mitigate that with a faster powder. However, you’ll never eliminate due to the heavier bullets the cartridge shines at.

If I were going to a more streamlined lighter package, I’d just buy a 18” barreled 308. For the ranges you are going to shoot, it’ll do great. I’m speaking from the experience of doing just this recently. And, after doing so I’d never shorten the barrel on an ‘06 if buying a compact 308 was an option.

A lot of people say the calibers are basically the same. They aren’t. The ‘06 is so much more capable. And, you don’t see that until you get the 24” barrels. But, you don’t need that. So, keep the gun you have and buy the compact 308. You’ll be glad you did.

z987k

WKR
If you cut that barrel on the ‘06, start researching a load that has a fast powder.

Traditional ‘06 loads out of 22” barrels are loaded with slow burning powders. Creating a lot of waste in energy in even a 22” barrel. Be ready for a severe muzzle flash in a 20” barreled version. You can mitigate that with a faster powder. However, you’ll never eliminate due to the heavier bullets the cartridge shines at.

If I were going to a more streamlined lighter package, I’d just buy a 18” barreled 308. For the ranges you are going to shoot, it’ll do great. I’m speaking from the experience of doing just this recently. And, after doing so I’d never shorten the barrel on an ‘06 if buying a compact 308 was an option.

A lot of people say the calibers are basically the same. They aren’t. The ‘06 is so much more capable. And, you don’t see that until you get the 24” barrels. But, you don’t need that. So, keep the gun you have and buy the compact 308. You’ll be glad you did.
The 3006 is faster than the 308win at all barrel lengths given the same bullet. It's not at just 24" and if we're using the correct powder there is no point where there are increasing losses vs the 308's same losses.

KenLee

WKR
With the availability of cheap good shooting rifles these days, I wouldn't go chopping on a rifle which I had confidence in.
Find a 308 or 7mm-08 with 20 inch barrel you like and snatch it up.

The 3006 is faster than the 308win at all barrel lengths given the same bullet. It's not at just 24" and if we're using the correct powder there is no point where there are increasing losses vs the 308's same losses.
Maybe my point was confusing. I totally know and understand that. My point was sawing off an ‘06 barrel versus buying a compact 308 was something he’d likely regret. And, at 18 inches, he’s going go like the temperament of the 308 much better.

I’m curious, how compact are you going? What barrel length? What is the length of your suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planning on going 18 inches. That's what the folks at Alamo Precision rifles recommended. Still deciding on suppressor. Leaning Dead Air Titanium

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m either cutting my tikka 30-06 back to 18” or re barreling it at 18”. Same for my 308, it’s going from 22” to 18”.

I went from a .30-06 to a .308 a few years back.

As already stated, mostly for handiness and packing around for 7-14 days continually during deer season, ammo availability and options are also a benefit.

I am comfortable taking a shot at a buck out to 450 with the .308. I have been shooting Federal Premium Trophy Bonded 165 grain. No regrets, I shoot the .308 much better for some reason, and it's knocked some big bodied bucks down in one shot.