Going from 30-06 to 308?

Gorp2007

WKR
I’ve thought about doing this as well and am not entirely opposed to it. Did you cut it back to 20” or go shorter? How do you like it? Any regrets?

My only regret was getting a replacement 30-06 barrel instead of just sending off the factory barrel to get chopped. Smith misunderstood my directions and I ended up with an 18” when I wanted 20”. With a brake the concision is nothing to sneeze at, but it’s great with the suppressor. No matter how short you cut, a 30-06 will be a little faster than a 308 and until you get out past 400 (probably further) no animal is going to notice.

Last edited:
OP
L

Loper

WKR
I’ve got a 30-06 and have no problems finding ammo online, and if you keep an eye out, the prices can go down sometimes. I have no idea as to whether my prices or availability compare to 308 ammo.

Apart from ammo availability and prices, I’d think about having a shorter barrel in 30-06 as mentioned above. I’ve gone back and forth on multiple calibers but at the moment I like the streamline approach.

Let us know what you do.

I’m starting to lean towards just putting 06 on the chopping block. I do kind of like the streamlined approach of having just one or two cartridges rather than every rifle in a different cartridge.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
My opinion, you don’t need another rifle.

Do you know my wife? Is she paying you to say this? Hahaha…

Once you get your suppressor chop and thread the one you have if it shoots to your liking.

Spend the money on better glass and enough ammo to become more proficient. After that you should be able to answer this question yourself.

I like this advice. Although I always think about getting another rifle, in reality it would just suck money out of my wallet that I could put towards glass, ammo, hunting trips etc. that would probably benefit me in better ways.

Lawnboi

WKR
Do you know my wife? Is she paying you to say this? Hahaha…

I like this advice. Although I always think about getting another rifle, in reality it would just suck money out of my wallet that I could put towards glass, ammo, hunting trips etc. that would probably benefit me in better ways.
I mean more guns are fun too, but to buy damn near the same thing. On top of that the little extra powder wouldn’t be bad in a short barrel and a 308 cal hole.

Now if you were saying you wanted a nice 223 or a 6 creed or something I’d say go for it.

Unckebob

WKR
I replaced a 270 M700 that I had to sell for other reasons 2 years prior with a 308 Winchester Featherweight primarily because I wanted a shorter, handier rifle and was starting from scratch. The deer cannot tell the difference.

I don't regret my choice, but I wouldn't sell a long action rifle I like just to get a shorter barrel. If I had the 270 in my possession, I would just have had the barrel shortened.

sargent

WKR
I picked up a Kimber Hunter in .308 this off season to carry instead of a Remington 700 .270. After a couple of modifications, the rifle is almost exactly 2 pounds lighter and much shorter and handier than my old .270. So far, I'm happy with the decision. Hopefully I'll get to see how it performs on game in mid-October!

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Have a 30-06. Bought a 308 due to ammo. I am now building a 300 win mag. I haven’t hunted with the 308 yet but it doesn’t seem like a huge difference between 308 and 06. If you want to reach further, go with 300 mag or more. Just my opinion.

I have been contemplating the same move. Just don't have the funds for another rifle right now. I have a '06 featherweight that still needs a scope.

Have a 30-06. Bought a 308 due to ammo. I am now building a 300 win mag. I haven’t hunted with the 308 yet but it doesn’t seem like a huge difference between 308 and 06. If you want to reach further, go with 300 mag or more. Just my opinion.
Agree but just remember, the trade off is significantly more recoil. The win mag doesn’t outshine the -06 or .308 until you get past around 4-450 yards. Inside of that and the animal won’t know the diff

I chose a .308 for platform versatility (short action and ability to expand to AR-10) proven accuracy, ammo availability, ammo versatility, and ammo cost. It’s basically an -06 “short” and you only lose a couple hundred FPS. Inside 400 yards it’s more or less a dead heat performance wise in a shorter, lighter, and just as deadly package.

SDHNTR

WKR
I still have a 30-06 I dearly love and it’s killed truckloads of game. But then I built a .308 on an 18” barrel for all the reasons you mentioned. It’s now become my primary all arounder. It’s so handy. Anyone who picks it up tries to buy it from me. Out to 300, no problem! Or more…

Other benefit of a 16-18" barrel is it is still handy with a suppressor. More than likely my next rifle will be 308 or 7-08 set up more in a Scout configuration since WI is shorter shots and in thicker swamps.

Rich M

WKR
I dropped from 30-06 to .243 and 350 Legend. Like not getting beat up when shooting and I don't flinch w the lighter guns. Had 243 and wanted the 350 legend cause of what it was - light muzzleblast/kick with 150-180 gr bullets.

Keep the 06 in the safe and you'll have it if you need it some day. I'd break mine back out if going elk hunting.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
For your use, an 18” .308 with anything from 155-178 gr will do everything you need.

I just plugged into the 4DOF app the following nominal data for Hornady 178 ELDX: muzzle velocity 2500 fps (18-20” barrel is probably actually faster) 1000’ elevation, 45F/55%humidity, and it’s showing 1800 fps impact velocity at about 470 yards… and that’s not even that bullet’s lower expansion limit