GoHunt Insider worth it?

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Not sure why guys pay a monthly subscription for access to free information. Read the regs for the states(s) you’re interested and take notes. Very easy.
Sometimes people prioritize their time differently- if Gohunt insider is $150/year, $12.50/month to save me a bunch of time, I could see justifying it. Especially with discounts on stuff that I will most likely buy during any given year (arrow components, clothing, gear, etc).

Additionally, if you reasonably think you will spend enough money on gear within a given year to justify the cost, I think it’s worth it. I use GoHunt for camping, backpacking, hiking, archery, and hunting gear. Will I spend more than $150/year on that? Almost definitely. We’re not into hunting because it’s cheap…

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Utilize gohunt & onx- Same as some of the previous comments.
1. Gohunt is worth the money for time savings. Filtering is super useful. Would like to see more state specific filtering, some states already do have some.
- some of the states are interesting to see how much point creep there is and how many people bounce from each unit/ season
2. Toprut is part of onx subscription- if you can utilize that data instead might be worth if for you. Do like some of the filtering- organization of Toprut. Tag numbers for seasons something I think they do better.
3. Prefer OnX maps for desktop and cellular- As of now do like the elevation bands for Gohunt map. Main reason I really look at the gohunt map. Occasionally look at species distribution.
4. Trying to build a hunt plan for the following year or 2. Could justify me not paying for Gohunt.

And like others, it can be offset by not applying for one state or by not buying one piece of gear that year (that I probably have something similar of). So for now I will keep both

Last edited:
Gohunt is okay if you have zero computer skills, and are willing to complete 0% effort to your upcoming hunt. Sometimes, (sometimes) they may have better mapping tools, but, honestly, its not that hard to look at last years draw odds.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY - FIGURE IT OUT

Last edited:

eltx

Lil-Rokslider
Agree. I trialed it and canceled before they charged me. For me it’s easier to just download the draw results, import to Excel, and do the analysis there than use the GoHunt filtering tools.

Basecamphunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the boat of look at the draw odds and harvest statistics yourself. Doing your own leg work can give you an advantage over the masses using regurgitated data. Calling and talking to biologists can be, not always, a very good tool as well.

Fisher32

FNG
Agree. I trialed it and canceled before they charged me. For me it’s easier to just download the draw results, import to Excel, and do the analysis there than use the GoHunt filtering tools.
I do the exact same thing.

TheTone

WKR
I had it for a year, to me it wasn’t worth it. The unit write ups for places I knew really well were somewhere between poor to completely inaccurate, I thought the filtering was kinda iffy and truthfully the amount of subscribers kinda waters down the value of the info. I also couldn’t justify giving money to a group that IMO is helping spread the exploitation of wildlife by influencers

nobody

WKR
I feel it's worth the investment if you're going to be hunting other states on a regular basis, or if you have multiple people and multiple sets of hunters' draw odds you're trying to juggle. Here's my reasoning for somebody who hunts a couple different states with multiple family members:

1. GoHunt costs me $150 per year. That gets me maps allover the US plus the point tracking and draw odds. OnX maps is a slightly better mapping system (though I had LOTS of issues when I used to use OnX), but they only give you maps. Additionally, OnX charges either $30 per state, or $100 for the whole US. So for only $50 more, you ALSO get the draw odds from GoHunt. If GoHunt didn't do maps, it wouldn't be worth the coin. But between the maps (which I need for hunting anyways), AND throw in the draw odds, it's a much higher value per dollar than OnX (for me), especially because every state's systems are so different and difficult to navigate their data in their own way.

2. My entire family (a special needs cousin in law, 3 younger brothers, and my dad) are constantly asking "hey it's time to put in, what can I draw? I have X points, what tag should I apply for?" GoHunt has a point tracker where I can input their point info for each state that allows me to quickly plug in "Ok so Billy has 21 Moose points, his best odds last year were in this unit, but they added 6 tags to this unit this year, so let's go ahead and put in for this one." And then I rinse and repeat the process with my other family members.

If you're only hunting your home state or not worried about taking care of other people along with yourself, it's probably not worth the coin. But my time is limited and is worth a ton to me, I need the maps anyways, and the draw odds are easier to navigate their than even on my own home state's website. So when you wrap up that whole entire package, it's a no brainer.

Plus the points you earn from ordering gear through them (which is stuff we all are going to buy anyways, such as boots and socks and optics and clothing) allows you to rack up some "freebies" periodically. I have an order en route from them currently full of some new wool socks and some OR gloves that I didn't pay a dime for, used points to get them here.

gabenzeke

WKR
It's convenient for finding an educated guess on draw odds. But you're not going to find some overlooked gem of a unit like some of their influencers claim. Everyone else is using that same tool. Also, if all the "I'm not asking for a honey hole, just somewhere within an easy walk of my truck to shoot a 320 bull" posts here bother you, just have a look at the questions asked on gohunt. Sheesh. Nobody responds to them, but man, I wish they would clean that up and explain some rules to people. They're missing the boat in their sections where you can ask questions.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Gohunt, huntingfool, eastmans ect… ruin spots. Seen it happen in the last 10 years to a buddy. Not on board at all. It’s all public info. Let people work a little for it. Places pop up in their “top units to hunt” they get hammered with applicants, seen a 0 point unit go to 3/4 right before my eyes. Talked to a few guys I’ve met back there I spend a solid time there and I get the same old story, huntinfool recommend it or gohunt etc… I get it, it sucks and too bad, we’ll just wait till it happens to your spot

I already have GoHunt’s lower membership tier for discounts on gear, and it comes with their mapping. I prefer OnX.

With regards to draw odds, deadlines, stats, and general education about being a more strategic hunter, do you feel like Insider is worth it? I want to be more aggressive/strategic about applying for hunts and navigating the western states’ different intricacies, felt like it may be worth it to pony up for it.

Would love to hear thoughts. Thanks
There is some good info on there and if you do enough research into other states it's worth it imo for at least 1 years.