Go to base layers when it's cold?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the same base layer top from about 10 degrees to however hot it's going to get- the Sitka Core Lwt Hoody, bottoms if it's warm Smartwool merino boxers, if cool (but above ~ 10 degrees) some very lightweight merino bottoms from Montbell.

If it's cold though (usually single digits or lower) I use a Patagonia's Capilene Thermal Weight hoody and bottoms. I originally bought the top to use a mid-layer, I didn't think it did great in that role, but found it worked really well as a cold layer base top. Shortly after bought the bottoms. Mine are ten years old and the names have undergone at least three changes, but currently Thermal Weight.

They use a pretty light Polartec Micro Grid fabric- pretty light the hoody is 7oz, the bottoms 4.7 oz, but pretty darn warm for the weight

Looks the hoody might be discontinued, they make a zip top

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...3657.html?cgid=mens-baselayers-thermal-weight

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...ayer-bottoms/43687.html?dwvar_43687_color=BLK

What's everyone else use when the mercury really drops?

Jimss

WKR
Tops are pretty easy because there are so many layer options. To start off, I often wear a camo kuiu hoody as an outer layer top when warmer and just add other layers as needed. It’s nice to have different thickness hoodies depending on the weather and amount of physical activity. A hoody is just as important to fight intense sun as blizzard conditions.

A quiet cloth vest is also great to wear over a hoody as an outer and to keep my core warm under a jacket. Another top I’ve had great success with is cabelas brand heavier material micro-fleece. It’s super rugged and dries quickly.

One negative about a solid top like Patagonia is it’s not camo to wear as an outer. I don’t generally have any solid colored tops because all of them can be used as an outer. My outer jackets (including rain jackets) all have pitzips to vent when active.

I have several thickness of base layer bottoms and outer bottoms to choose from. I almost always have my rain pants with me that cuts wind and rain plus adds a bit of warmth when super cold. I sometimes where woolish style alpaca socks that go up high on my legs to add warmth when super cold.

It’s always nice to have a large selection of layers and camo patterns/colors to choose from. I generally pick litghter vs darker color patterns and different top vs bottom to help get rid of the human profile.

Almost always have a black ovis 150 hooded as my upper base layer. Fit is perfect and love having a lightweight hood for sun or light wind. My next layer depends on how cold it is - generally a fleece of some sort and adjust to the cold temps.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Bottoms Sitka heavyweight, basically just a light weight grid fleece.
Top I’ve been using the peloton 97
Been working pretty good this last week in MT, been cold!

woods89

WKR
I'm wearing a Peleton 97 Hoodie and zip offs right now as I wait for my meal to hydrate. Love them!

Also use a Black Ovis 150 wt Hoodie a lot in warmer weather.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For active but very cold I use the Kiln from Firstlite. For very cold and not moving (whitetail) I love the firstlite Furnace. Used them all week here in Northern Minnesota.

Firstlite base layers are the one piece from that I’m a huge fan of, and I normally don’t like “hunting” brand clothing. Usually the backpacking or technical clothing companies make much better pieces but firstlite has the base layers dialed in for me.

Kiln top with Patagonia R1 Air Hoody is a fantastic super cold but higher exertion combo for up top.

JD Jones

WKR
This year I made a change to using the De Hav stone glacier pants October Elk / Deer and now using them in the uplands. I couple them with the SG thermal helio bottoms when it’s really cold. I’ve had no issues 15* - 50* with this set up. Love the stratum zip system but I’d like a cut for taking a piss when it’s cold but that’s not a deal breaker

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My midlayer (peloton 97 hoodie) becomes my base when cold. Then my midlayer is a peloton 97 zipT. Bottoms are also the p97

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It totally depends on whether I'm stationary (not often), or on the move. When I'm not going to be hiking, I'll wear my polar weight Polartec top and bottom. But when I'm constantly on the move I wear the same lightweight merino bases as during archery elk season. As long as I'm moving, the furnace is burning and I'll be sweating regardless of the temps.

I still wear a thin base layer just tend to add more layers on top the colder it gets. I'll wear smart wool merino long johns but go to guide pro lined pants when it gets real cold and add an extra fleece, vest, etc. You have me thinking though, some thermals might be the way to go.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have top/bottoms of the Peloton 97- should give them a try and compare them to the thermal weights. The fact that you can vent the 97 bottoms and remove them w/o taking your boots off is a definite plus; just not sure if they would be as warm?????

I use the same base layer top from about 10 degrees to however hot it's going to get- the Sitka Core Lwt Hoody, bottoms if it's warm Smartwool merino boxers, if cool (but above ~ 10 degrees) some very lightweight merino bottoms from Montbell.

If it's cold though (usually single digits or lower) I use a Patagonia's Capilene Thermal Weight hoody and bottoms. I originally bought the top to use a mid-layer, I didn't think it did great in that role, but found it worked really well as a cold layer base top. Shortly after bought the bottoms. Mine are ten years old and the names have undergone at least three changes, but currently Thermal Weight.

They use a pretty light Polartec Micro Grid fabric- pretty light the hoody is 7oz, the bottoms 4.7 oz, but pretty darn warm for the weight

Looks the hoody might be discontinued, they make a zip top

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...3657.html?cgid=mens-baselayers-thermal-weight

https://www.patagonia.com/product/m...ayer-bottoms/43687.html?dwvar_43687_color=BLK

What's everyone else use when the mercury really drops?
I started a thread awhile back looking for a "thin grid fleece". Almost positive this thermal weight 1/4 zip top is what I meant (so it wasn't a fleece at all), I have this and didn't think they made it anymore. It's essentially a shirt with a grid on the inside, very warm for the weight and breathable. I wear it all the time as a second base layer. I'm going to have to find out now, thanks

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Patagonia doesn't have the hoody version on their site anymore, but I see a lot of places still have it. The 1/4 zip looks like it's still in the lineup :)

JohnB

WKR
I had an R1 hoody that I wore to pieces over a decade. I replaced it last year with a Mountain Equipment Eclipse hoody that I've been quite happy with. It might be a touch thinner than the R1 I had but that is no problem for me. I love the convenience of the hood for quick and easy temperature adjustments.

*zap*

WKR
The hardest thing to prepare for clothing wise is packing in to then hunt a stationary hunt. That is where the choices you make will really pay off or not. Plus if you are able to tolerate the cold for the first half of the walk in and you start cold (wearing little and packing your clothing) you will be much better off...