Gloves!

Dammlm

FNG
Looking for a good set of gloves but don't know where to start. It will be late season Colorado and the ever changing Alaska weather (cold and wet). I was looking at Kuiu as I have a few other items but I am open to others if they are in a solid color. What are your good and bad experiences?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using the Chilly Grip A314/A313/A311s for well over 5 years now. I buy a dozen and use them all year round and a dozen will usually last me 2-3 years and I keep pairs all over the place.

Recently bought some of the A323 and A321s and they are similar only better being fully water proof and oh so warm.

The work for me up here in Alaska and I really like them for packrafting when its wet especially.

Hope that helps.

Check out the list here. No matter the model you can get a half dozen easily for the price of most of the Kryptek, Sitka, Kuiu offerings.

Tried some of the offerings from Atlas which look similar but they just aren't as good or warm IMO.

http://www.redsteer.com/chillygrip.htm

My wife got me a pair of merino and the tiburon gloves. Perfect for early season for me. Can always add another layer later. Have worn them for a few late season oklahoma hunts and they performed well.

My two cents for late season is this. All gloves have a temp limitation. I bought some goretex leather Cabelas with Primaloft. They take me to about 0 degrees sitting. From there mittens seem to be the best for me. I bought some nice German military surplus shells for cheap with rag wool mittens worn inside. They work well below zero. A handwarmer tossed in will get you even colder.

Gumbo

WKR
You said late season CO, so I think rifle and snow. If that is not what you had in mind, stop reading now. I have been using King of the Mountain glomitts for the last 10 years and love them. They are wool with a leather, open palm design for glassing and shooting. They can be worn alone or with liner gloves. They are dynamite in snow and wind and you can tuck a warmer in them if it is ridiculously cold. Unfortunately, they are useless for archery and are camo.

charvey9

WKR
Go to a good mountain bike shop and check out the high end waterproof/insulated options from companies like GORE, Endura, Showers Pass. These work great as options while hiking/moving and around camp. I've found that if you have a pair of gloves that aren't dexterous enough to use your fingers, you end up taking them off every time you need to do something. Putting wet hands back in your gloves just a few times gets them wet from the inside out, and then you're hosed.

With a good set of waterproof, dexterous gloves to use while moving you can add heavier set of mitts or gloves to use for sitting and be set.

OR Convoy gloves are also a good mid-weight option, but a little too bulky to shoot a bow or rifle.

gmajor

WKR
I use merino liners in early season, ragg wool for most of my hunts, and during the winter I like mittens. I really liked Kuiu's glassing mittens when I saw them in the store, but it's hard to spend that much on mitts, despite the warmth and weight.

I've been meaning to try chilly grips.

OP
D

Dammlm

FNG
Great info everyone. Thanks for the heads up on where to start looking. Let the research begin!