Gloves

billy molls

Super Moderator
What do you use for gloves? For most of my guiding career, I have used cheap poly, or rag wool. If it is very cold and I am sitting alot, I will use large, GoreTex gloves, with long gauntlets to cover my wrists. What works for you?

I normally use plain ski gloves when the weather is really cold or there is snow on the ground. For any other times I normally used leather shooting gloves for the dexterity they provided, but last year I got a pair of the KUIU Guide Gloves and really like them. They keep my hands dry unless it is really raining steadily (but they stayed warm) and the leather palms are very nice and I can pick up anything with them on.

muleman

WKR
I used Kuiu Guide Gloves last year and liked them. Was going to order a second pair but they are out of stock until later this summer.

+1. My guide gloves would still be good to go if I didn't leave one on the mountain somewhere!

Ouch, that is an expensive leave behind.

I personally use very light weight and cheap wool gloves and I do have the very thin sitka gloves.

Gman

WKR
Ouch, that is an expensive leave behind.

I personally use very light weight and cheap wool gloves and I do have the very thin sitka gloves.

Even worse, the one glove that stayed just seems to be laughing at me. I can't bring myself to take it out of the gear area so it's a constant reminder of my loss!

Rizzy

WKR
I really like the guide gloves the best so far as well. The only thing is they don't keep my hands warm in really cold weather, so I go to the wool gloves at that point.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I do everything in Chilly Grip gloves. Less than $5 per pair and plenty warm, dry out fast, and waterproof palm and finger tips. I even snowmachine in them down to around 0-10 degrees. Colder than that or sitting for long periods of time the big warm gaunlet style mittens come out of the wood work. But for all my endevaors from April-October is soley the Chilly Grips. I was able to score a dozen for $36 on ebay a while back so I have a pair every where. :D

dotman

WKR
I use cheap cabelas microtex and a muff if really cold, for Sep I hardly need anything more then the microtex. I hate gloves though so the thinner the better but in butt cold the muff is awesome.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have really small hands (even for a woman) and have a difficult time finding gloves small enough. I usually wear a pair of OR gripper gloves made of Windblock fleece, and then if it is wet/rainy I use goretex overmitts. Don't need the overmitts most of the time, as the fleece gloves stay pretty water resistant, and dry out easily hanging in the tent overnight or tucked into my sleeping bag.

mtbshark

WKR
i use skidoo wind stopper gloves. they are like mtb/moto gloves but with weather resistant outer layer. I also like the Kilm inversion glove it is very similar to the skidoo but with real gore windstopper at +30% more $$$$