Glock 10mm questions

I have both. The 20 is better to shoot. The 29 is slightly lighter smaller to carry.

For cheap practice I always shoot 40s&w out of both my 20/29

They cycle fine in both the 20 and 29. Think of it as shooting a 22short in a 22lr. A lot cheaper and available than 10mm ammo. Of course this is “off label” and I would not tell Glock I was shooting 40sw in my 10mm but it works great.

Last edited:

Tower

FNG
Carrying a G29 Gen4 in the mountains for the first time this fall. Past years I carried a Taurus Titanium .41 mag.

I dropped in a KKM threaded barrel (tiny bit of extra velocity and can shoot suppressed for kicks at home), added 21# spring, XS DXT2 big dot sights and Talon grip tape. I added Pearce pinky extensions to the mags.

Carry ammo will be Underwood 220 HC.

I don’t find the 29 hard to shoot at all, even with the heavy loads. I considered the 20, but wanted to shrink the size a bit. Will be carrying it in a Razco holster attached to FHF harness. I plan on carrying a spare mag in Gunfighters Inc horizontal mag holder slid onto the harness strap.

I might miss the Titanium after a few days 😆 but we’ll see.

Jim Flint

FNG
As mentioned, the 20 is softer shooting. I am more accurate with it.

Glock 20, one mag, factory barrel, night sights, HSM Bear Load, and cheap FMJ for practice. I have a threaded KKM to try out, along with DT 230 gr.

The Kenai chest holster has worked well.

Beendare

WKR
G20 factory here, spare mag full load shooting barnes handloads. A word of caution I have seen 2 almost brand new 10mm when shooting buffalo bore, it pulled the polygonal rifling out, looked like black spaghetti hanging 2-3 inches out of the barrel. The gun store that sold and sent them back to Glock is waiting for glocks response.

Word is that it was the first mag; 7-10 rounds IIRC.

Wow, ^ any pictures?

CCH

WKR
I have owned a 20 and a 29, but now have a 20SF. I much prefer it to the 29, and for outdoors use I don't find the size/weight to be much of a penalty.

jmden

WKR
In response to an earlier post, timed competition is prob one of the only ways to induce stress. I am trying to do one comp a year with my G40 with fairly stout practice loads (180s doing 1300fps), KKM barrel and 20# Wolff spring for that load. Woods loads are 200g DT hardcast lead and 200g XTPs doing nearly 1400 fps and a 24# Wolff spring.

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
i ended up selling my g20sf. just a little too big (the grip) for me. i have a glock 31 (357sig) and 35 (.40) that with hot ammo I am pretty comfortable with for defense, and they fit my hands way better.

davsco

WKR
and as far as trying to simulate using the gun under stress, hit some idpa matches with it. nowhere near force-on-force stress, but still a fair amount when that buzzer goes off. an excellent opportunity to see how you, and your gun & gear, work together.

G40 finally showed up a few days ago. Shot it today as well as the 29 some more. The 29 seems like it's something that just provides comfort in the fact that you have a firearm. Inside 10 yards it would be adequate. The g40 makes me look like I actually know how to shoot a pistol. I could hold 3-4" groups out of the g40 at 25 yards.

My g40 with empty mag is 2# 3.6 oz
G29sf with Pierce grip extension and empty mag is 1# 11.1 oz. Going to be hard for me to not go ahead and carry the extra 7-8 Oz's.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a g20 in bear country but mostly because Ryan suggested it awhile back as I'm not really a handgun guy. With the little range time I put in with one I'm just going to hope my hunting partner is better with a handgun under pressure than I am because left to my skill we're likely dead.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
Thus loss of sight picture, trigger control and accurate shot placement. The argument can be made that practice can help to cope. But lets be frank, how can one induce such stress to practice in case of a situation?

YMMV

Honestly its really easy to practice stress. You don't need to be charged by a bear to get "stressed", Adding almost anything, excercise to get your heart rate up, some snap caps into your magazine to cause "failures", competing against a clock, have a partner help move you around, call out shots, etc. Do any of these little trivial things to add stress to your shooting and you will be practicing under stress.

I know I was suprised how little stress caused such a big impact on my shooting.

dla

WKR
Looking at a bear defense pistol and staying within the glock platform based on a number of years of familiarity.

1 - 20 or 29?
2 - Carry a spare mag and how / where?
3 - What barrel?
4 - Other mods?
5 - Preferred ammo for bear and practice.

I am inclined toward a 20, no spare mag, with a kkm barrel, 22# spring, night sites, maybe a light and Underwood or buffalo bore and something cheaper for practice. Have shot both 20 and 29 a little but not enough to say which I like and could shoot better.

Thanks - DJ
G20. Make a non-drop free magazine - you don't want a magazine getting separated from the pistol in the heat of the moment. Make sure the grip isn't slippery.
Hardcastle or fmg is best.

igBand

Lil-Rokslider
Amateur follow-up question - I carry a 20 when hunting in grizz country and have in the mag Buffalo Bore HC. I target shoot with cheaper stuff, but haven't put a ton of the HC rounds through it. I target shoot often, but that's the extent of my experience - I don't spend enough time doing homework on different configs, so I'm looking for thoughts.

I've toyed with buying a KKM barrel. Again, a totally amateur question, but can one literally drop in the KKM barrel? No other mods needed? Or is the heavier spring definitely recommended?

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
My answers:

1 - 20 Gen 4
2 - Spare mag on my Gunfighters Inc. Kenai chest holster
3 - Factory
4 - Hackathorn tritium front/black rear sights
5 - S&B for range time, Underwood for grizz country, Federal HSTs for general carry/black bears for woods time.

Yes you can just drop the KKM in the Glock. I have 2 KKM barrels (one for my G20, one for my G35). No fitting was required for either and i have run them both hard and have had no issues with either. I went with the KKM simply for better case head support for hot loads (chamber is tighter on the KKM). Also i have had no feeding issues either.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Amateur follow-up question - I carry a 20 when hunting in grizz country and have in the mag Buffalo Bore HC. I target shoot with cheaper stuff, but haven't put a ton of the HC rounds through it. I target shoot often, but that's the extent of my experience - I don't spend enough time doing homework on different configs, so I'm looking for thoughts.

I've toyed with buying a KKM barrel. Again, a totally amateur question, but can one literally drop in the KKM barrel? No other mods needed? Or is the heavier spring definitely recommended?

My KKM barrel went in as easy as the factory barrel, I put about 1k rounds through it right off the bat within 2-3 weeks of swapping the barrel, not one bit of trouble with any of it and no troubles with the 700-1k rounds I’ve put through it since.

Stock G20 with trijicon sights and now a trijicon red dot. Had a scrap with a blackie last year during bear season and i was less accurate than i would have hoped for under stress. Bear died and was mortally hit on the first shot but things should have been smoother. Ive shot all kinds of competition with all kinds of guns but despite feeling cool and calculating, i wasnt. My hand shook like a palm tree in a hurricane after the fact.
Stress is a bitch. Best expose yourself to it as often as you can.
As a side note, i had to get a gunfighters inc rig for the G20 after the slide was milled as the Diamond D wouldnt hold the gun anymore with a trijicon on without severe modification. Silver lining with that is the Guides choice fits the PMR30 i picked up in fully adequate fashion. Thats a nasty little party in your hands BTW.
Best of luck this season and be safe as you can.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20 with KKM barrel and no issues with lead. Havent shot much but with my interest in hunting spiking im going to definitely get some HC lead rounds over my current lineup of homeload hot HST. I run a 20lb spring right now.

Trijicons and a light for me as well in its current configuration and ill probably keep it that way. For hunting ill need to decide if i go to a chest rig or how i want to mount it.