Glassing CO Archery Elk

Hipaitz

FNG
Pre-rut archery elk. How much are you glassing versus moving and trying to get into elk? Bring in a tripod or leave it in the truck?

Appreciate the advice.

Maverick1

WKR
It depends on a number of factors.

In general, I do not glass on an archery 'meat hunt' - which is most of CO.

Some areas I've hunted are just way too thick for bringing along a spotting scope or tripod setup. Just a bunch of extra weight and room in the pack.

Other areas - where the terrain is more open and broken (and hunting pressure is lower, or I am being more selective / looking for a particular animal) - I have brought along a tripod and use 10x or 12x binoculars. This is more on draw units.

I don't bring a spotting scope along on archery hunts any more, regardless of the state.

Assuming two things. 1. New area for you 2. Truck camping.

If those are true go into the area the first day, check it out. You’ll learn if tripod and glass is needed or useful, go from there.

If not truck truck camping leave the tripod behind.

No tripod needed,even in totally open terrain.
Glassing vs calling is the same for me…pre, mid and post rut.

Last year was my first year in CO for first week archery, going again this year. The crew we had had gone every year for the last few years and brought one each time. Based off what I experienced, I would agree with the others. If it’s heavily timbered and backpacking, I don’t know you’ll find much value. Hard to say till you’ve got boots on ground in your planned hunting ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've spent alot of money on glass since I started hunting trying to find what works for me. When hunting black timber, if I take glass at all, I go with the 8x35's. If glassing from the truck, either the 10x42's or 12x50's. Half the time I don't even take glass.

Ive never taken one on an elk hunt, just binoculars. That said we did an early season rifle deer hunt above timberline last fall so I picked up a spotter. Glassed up some really nice bulls with it..... We hunt a mix of dark timber and above timberline stuff so I can see it's merits but that is a lot of weight. Maybe split a tripod and spotter between two people if you are hunting with others.

Poser

WKR
Really varies quite a bit as others have said. I haul a tripod and spotter around all summer when scouting and have some vantage points where I'm glassing long range, but those vantage points aren't actually so useable for hunting season because they are too far away to make a move on the same day. So, when it comes to actually trying to kill an elk during archery season, I, more often than not, don't carry a tripod and spotter, especially if I'm backpacking.
However, there are exceptions and I turned up some elk and made a play last season with a spotting scope. Day hunt? Not a big deal either way, but it can be the difference between a ~25 lbs pack and a ~32 lbs pack which, If I'm expecting a big effort day in difficult terrain and with a partner who prefers to move fast, there is a noticeable difference in that weight and the amount of output. When you start talking about the difference between 40 lbs and 48 lbs for backpacking, it becomes even more of a dealbreaker.

For Sept bear hunting, I do often carry full optics, assuming there are vantage points to utilize them

Planning to leave the Spotting Scope and Tripod at truck camp. My "Plan A" camp location is setup in an area where i can walk 100 yards one direction and see a mountain side / multiple ridge lines, and walk 100 yards the other direction and look at a different mountain side/ridges.

I don't expect to carry it in to the woods.

Hunting S CO. Camp is just below Timberline.

I don’t even take Binos most the time, if I hunted above tree line maybe but no point where I hunt. My rangefinder is either 6 or 7x so there’s that

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Holy cow. Should not be…but amazed the guys not putting glass to work. Missing out on seeing a lot whether you know it or not. The weight of a pair of binos is never a “need to save weight” item to cut out. Could not imagine not having good glass on me every minute of a hunt, timber or open country.

IMO There is PLENTY to pick part in timber with glass. Have seen so many critters with glass in timber I was not seeing with naked eye, Not to mention sizing up a critter that could not do without binos in Timber. Then there is the more open country where guys are kidding themselves if they believe they can see all they need to see with no glass or undersized glass.

As for spotter, sure that is a situational thing on whether to pack it in or not, but sure would never leave spotter or tripod at home. they are at least making the trip for possible use

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
Holy cow. Should not be…but amazed the guys not putting glass to work. Missing out on seeing a lot whether you know it or not. The weight of a pair of binos is never a “need to save weight” item to cut out. Could not imagine not having good glass on me every minute of a hunt, timber or open country.

IMO There is PLENTY to pick part in timber with glass. Have seen so many critters with glass in timber I was not seeing with naked eye, Not to mention sizing up a critter that could not do without binos in Timber. Then there is the more open country where guys are kidding themselves if they believe they can see all they need to see with no glass or undersized glass.

As for spotter, sure that is. situational thing on whether to pack it in or not, but sure would never spotter or tripod at home.
I always carry my binos for the above reasons. I use them to look through layers of timber while I hunt. Killed a bunch of bulls doing this.

I may or may not carry my tripod. I have the Tricer backcountry model. It barely weighs anything. I rarely pack a spotter with me.

I also like having the tripod to glass mountains several miles away. If I am not seeing animals I can look around for a potential hunting spot for the evening or the next day.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I think the, “It depends on the country” is the answer I would give.

In broken country, my 18x UHD’s or even 10x binos find a lot of game.

Most elk hunts I don’t pack a tripod but I ALWAYS have binos. They are essential for stalking in on elk whether they are on the hoof or stalking a bloodtrail. A game changer really, when you need to see them before they see you.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Archery hunting binos should be fine 99.9% of the time. Remember, the elk will be causing a ruckus, and you have to be under 70ish yards to kill one.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't imagine hunting Colorado without glass. Even in dark timber I glass a lot. Everywhere I have hunted in Colorado I have atleast a few opportunities to glass a hillside across a drainage or something everyday. Even with 8x binos you can pick out elk a long ways away and atleast tell if a bull is in the heard.

I always carry my binos at a minimum. Either my 10x42 or 12x50 just depends on where I am going. Additionally the spotter is dependent on the terrain and type of hunt as others have stated. If I am going to carry a spotter, I have been using a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 on a carbon fiber tripod and it has been great. Lightweight and lets me get a better look at an animal that I glassed up with my binos. If I were just doing a meat hunt, I would leave the spotter in the truck or at camp.