Glass quality VS weight

Tristan

FNG
Building a stupid lite sheep rifle and I need glass on top, typically I am slightly glass heavy i like to be able to really zoom to verify certain things like brow tines, penis sheaths.. or other important legal info before moving off safe and squeezing in the vitals. That’s said building a sub 6lb rifle the. Strapping 2 lb of scope seems counter intuitive… what’s a good go to in ultra light rifle optics?

Kurts86

WKR
The Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 is the lightest more durable option at 20-21oz.

For lighter more fragile scopes a few of the Swarovski Z3 & Z5 scopes are 12-16 oz. The Z3 3-10x42 and Z5 3.5–18x44 come to mind.

The SWFA ultralight is just under 10oz and is another option.

Jimss

WKR
I’ve always had decent luck with leuopold scopes. I don’t shoot over around 300 yards so don’t see a need for a giant scope. I have shot 4 rams and my average sheep shot has been around 150 yards.

My spotting scope is a different story! That’s worth every penny and oz extra for the best available! I would much rather sink $ into binos and spotter than a large, expensive rifle scope.

How good do you want the scope to be?

If you’re after truly no-compromise glass, I feel that Zeiss HT scopes are incredibly lightweight (525 g for the 2.5-10, and 575 g for the 3-12) considering how high their optical and mechanical quality is. Other scopes can save a few more ounces yet, but none of them give the same level of performance.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted optical quality AND lightweight; I ended up with a Swaro Z3 3-10 (12.5 oz) and feel I did good on both counts