glad I'm not a newbie elk hunter

njdoxie

WKR
As I see all these post from newbies looking for help trying to decide on a state, unit, weapon, equipment, tactics....I'm so, so glad I'm settled on state (CO), unit (sw CO), weapon (2nd rifle otc), tactics (solo, backpack, diy, spot and stalk), the choices are just overwhelming if u aren't brought along by a veteran hunter. I've done it long enough that, that I know exactly how and where I like to elk hunt, I've got all the equipment for a solo, diy, backpack hunt, basically I have every last detail dialed in, which feels great. I've been hunting the same spot for the last few years and I love knowing it well, helps me be more successful than jumping around, I never want to hunt elk anywhere else. I'm not saying I'm a great hunter, I'm not, but I've always had shot opportunities, ignoring my first years. And when I look back 25 years...whew I've come a long way, I would cry if I was looking at that learning curve now, but then again, when I started out, I didn't have to know everything NOW. Anyone else feel that way?

Last edited:
No, not even close. I enjoy the learning experiences and all new experiences that accompany developing new skills. I carry a certain pride knowing that no one held my hand and made it easy on me, everything was learned and developed on my own.

Everyone started at square one.

AdamW

WKR
I'm glad that there are places like Rokslide where guys with lots of experience offer up advice and tips without judgement. :D

Jerry P

FNG
Yes Sir. The Western game is definitely a lot different from the Deer hunting that I grew up doing on the East Coast. It's a fun learning process though.

Actually, even though I've been hunting elk for a number of years, I enjoy hunting different states, new areas, different weapon types, different season timings, etc. I do have the gear dialed in for the most part. However, I get a lot of enjoyment out of hunting somewhere new and different, and applying the principles I've learned. Sometimes it works, sometimes it involves adapting the principles. The two biggest bulls I've killed came out of areas I had never hunted prior to the day I shot the bull, and involved using basic elk hunting principles. Nothing fancy.

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
No, not even close. I enjoy the learning experiences and all new experiences that accompany developing new skills. I carry a certain pride knowing that no one held my hand and made it easy on me, everything was learned and developed on my own.

Everyone started at square one.

I wouldn't say I started at square one as I started hunting elk tagging along with my brother and he is a pretty good hunter, much better than me...he and his friends showed me the ropes......really helped shorten a steep learning curve, I'm forever grateful to them.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A lot to learn in elk hunting but no matter how long in the game always something new to incorporate....the best part about not being a newbie is the confidence acquired through successful hunts and you don't question if you can get it done but rather you will be successful it is just a matter of time. 7 months

weaver

WKR
I don't know. For me there's nothing like hunting different animals in new places.

Manosteel

WKR
I am a lot like Ross, I have been hunting elk for decades and I am always learning something new. I am lucky enough to hunt all kinds of animals here in Alberta but nothing gets me going like elk. And for any animal, its all about confidence, confidence that you can stay out as long as it take, by yourself if need be, confidence in your gear, confidence in your ability to make the shot. The biggest thing about Experience is that it = confidence.

I love learning new stuff. Don't think I ever will or want to feel like I know it all about elk hunting. The hardest part about elk hunting for me is waiting for the next season!

elkguide

WKR
Having had the privilege to hunt elk for many years and to have had the opportunity to work as an elk hunting guide for ten years, I still have a lot to learn. I figure that when the hair on the back of my neck doesn't stand up when a bull bugles......... you can put that last nail in my coffin!

Greg Beck

WKR
I'm glad that there are places like Rokslide where guys with lots of experience offer up advice and tips without judgement. :D

Yes indeed!!! I started hunting 5 years ago on my own. Nobody to hold my hand or show me the ropes!!! It's been a tough challenge!!!

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
It is definitely overwhelming trying to narrow down the units, gear, etc. Especially for a guy from east of the Mississippi. I hunted northern Colorado for mule deer for the first time last year and plan on hunting SW Colorado for elk this year.

It is definitely overwhelming trying to narrow down the units, gear, etc. Especially for a guy from east of the Mississippi. I hunted northern Colorado for mule deer for the first time last year and plan on hunting SW Colorado for elk this year.

This is just my humble opinion, but we as humans make it awfully easy to overthink shit. The first time I hunted the Rocky Mountains on my own I knew literally nothing about mule deer and elk hunting other than what I read in the hunting magazines at the time (which wasn't very educational) and what I was able to glean in conversation from some friends.

I didn't backpack hunt. I didn't bivvy. Hell, I had really no idea what I was doing other than going out for an armed hike and learning as I went. I wore surplus wool pants and a woolrich shirt. I had a crappy pair of binos and mediocre boots. I had never heard of Lowa. I had no idea what a good pack was. There was no Google Earth or OnXMaps. The only high quality piece of gear I had was a Winchester Model 70 that I could shoot pretty darned well.

I found animals. I shot a good buck. We hunted elk, and we found one that my wife killed.

I've upgraded about every piece of gear I had, except for my Model 70. I got rid of the shitty Coleman canvas tent that leaked like cheesecloth. I wear Sitka clothing now. I have nice boots that don't hurt my feet. I upgraded to a Mystery Ranch pack. All that's great, but it's just part of the evolution that has taken a lot of years.

Don't break the bank to go hunting. You can, but you don't need to. The most important thing you can do is get yourself in the field with a tag in your pocket and hunt. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying be irresponsible and don't plan for your physical safety and well being. I am saying that Sitka or Kuiu isn't going to be the difference maker if you really want to get out and learn to hunt elk. I read too many threads every year where folks want to jump right in and bivvy hunt, and are overwhelmed with all of the gear and all of the expense.

Keep it simple stupid. Borrow gear, buy used, don't overthink shit. Get a tag and go hunt. And have fun.

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Jason, I'm with you 100%. While I like the idea of a bivy hunt I realize that isn't the smartest idea on this trip. It being our first trip, there are too many things that could go wrong. I'm hoping that hunting out of a base camp will make it much easier to move areas if we're not having any luck after the first few days. We're setting up a truck camp and hopefully hiking somewhere in the 3-5 mile range each day to get to where we hope to find the elk.

Gobbler36

WKR
First time elk hunting last year and I love this learning process, really the only tough part is sorting out all the states and units but even that is kind of cut and dry look for units that simply offer access and opportunity since no acquired points and let the terrain dictate the tactics. Most exciting and rewarding adventure I have ever taken part of.

Gobbler36

WKR
This is just my humble opinion, but we as humans make it awfully easy to overthink shit. The first time I hunted the Rocky Mountains on my own I knew literally nothing about mule deer and elk hunting other than what I read in the hunting magazines at the time (which wasn't very educational) and what I was able to glean in conversation from some friends.

I didn't backpack hunt. I didn't bivvy. Hell, I had really no idea what I was doing other than going out for an armed hike and learning as I went. I wore surplus wool pants and a woolrich shirt. I had a crappy pair of binos and mediocre boots. I had never heard of Lowa. I had no idea what a good pack was. There was no Google Earth or OnXMaps. The only high quality piece of gear I had was a Winchester Model 70 that I could shoot pretty darned well.

I found animals. I shot a good buck. We hunted elk, and we found one that my wife killed.

I've upgraded about every piece of gear I had, except for my Model 70. I got rid of the shitty Coleman canvas tent that leaked like cheesecloth. I wear Sitka clothing now. I have nice boots that don't hurt my feet. I upgraded to a Mystery Ranch pack. All that's great, but it's just part of the evolution that has taken a lot of years.

Don't break the bank to go hunting. You can, but you don't need to. The most important thing you can do is get yourself in the field with a tag in your pocket and hunt. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying be irresponsible and don't plan for your physical safety and well being. I am saying that Sitka or Kuiu isn't going to be the difference maker if you really want to get out and learn to hunt elk. I read too many threads every year where folks want to jump right in and bivvy hunt, and are overwhelmed with all of the gear and all of the expense.

Keep it simple stupid. Borrow gear, buy used, don't overthink shit. Get a tag and go hunt. And have fun.
Really enjoyed this post, gives me a lot of confidence. I find myself thinking like this also, if you wanna do something just go do it, we can sit back and plan and think about everything but a some point you just gotta grab the ol rifle and go for a walk.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

Bingo