Giraud trimmer not chamfering inside of neck evenly

SDHNTR

WKR
Worked fine when I got it and it was set up with the one pilot and caliber diameter already from them. Once I changed to a different caliber, I adjusted the cutting blade as per instructions and now it cuts the chamfer on the inside of the neck unevenly. I’ve tinkered with the blade over and over again. What am I doing wrong?

Worked fine when I got it and it was set up with the one pilot and caliber diameter already from them. Once I changed to a different caliber, I adjusted the cutting blade as per instructions and now it cuts the chamfer on the inside of the neck unevenly. I’ve tinkered with the blade over and over again. What am I doing wrong?

I dont understand, like one side of the case mouth gets more chamferred than the other? That sounds like something is bent or the case isn't being pushed down centered on the cutter drive. I've swapped cartridges and cutters a bunch and never had that issue. Getting the balance of debur/chamfer right is usually a PITA but i've never had it cut unevenly around the case mouth other than when i assume i push a case in less than straight.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
That's exactly right. One side of the case mouth gets a nice chamfer and the other side is barely touched. The cutter blade is not spinning true, or the case is being pushed in off center. The case holder (.308 win) has a little spring loaded bushing in it and there's a considerable amount of slop to it. You can definitely push it in off center. So I don't know if it's the blade or the bushing that's giving me grief. The case holders without that bushing seem better. If I take the time to spin the case around several turns as it's cutting it does even out, but that's a bit of a pita.

Honestly, I'm a bit displeased with my Giraud. I'm certainly willing to admit my issues may be user error. But just looking at the contraption sitting on my bench, it doesn't seem like it's engineered with much precision. Franken contraption. Rube Goldberg at work.

I spin every case. If you don't have workin man hands and have to do a few hundred you might want to wear gloves.

Dos XX

WKR
Is your case mouth round.? Sounds like it is if the cut is off equally all the way around,

With the power off, loosen the set screw on the cutter. Push a case down onto the cutter. Center the case mouth edge in the crotch of the cutter. Tighten screw. Test one. If you want more on one side or the other, adjust minutely. If you knew that already, I apologize.

Also, if there is a nick on the cutter, there are 3 cutting edges on each cutter. Just take cutter out and rotate it.

+1 on rotating the case while cutting.

I sold mine because I couldn't communicate with them. When I asked about case holders for new cartridges I wanted to trim, I got a rant back from them. I didn't need that, so I moved on.