Gift idea for outdoorsman taking me on my first elk hunt!

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I’m typically the upbeat “bright-side” guy that’s always happy to be out hunting. Very humble, and not afraid to ask questions. Sometimes I feel like I’m asking too many lol.

But I’d like to thank him just for his efforts to help us prep, and for the hunt, no matter the outcome.

I typically deer hunt in northern MI, and also waterfowl hunt. Plenty of times in the duck blind without seeing or shooting any birds. Still fun! Walking/wading in, setup, tear down, etc can be exhausting for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does he hunt waterfowl or whitetails? You could invite him to come hunt with you which would really build a longer term relationship.

OP
allstajacket
Does he hunt waterfowl or whitetails? You could invite him to come hunt with you which would really build a longer term relationship.

He hunt mule deer I believe, but he travels a lot for work, and has young kids at home. So he doesn’t really take any hunting trips. So I bet him coming to Michigan for a duck hunt likely wouldn’t happen. It’s a great thought though!

Whip

WKR
So many great custom knife makers out there that could make you a truly unique one of a kind gift. Find one that can do a blade style similar to the Kabar and it would sure seem like it could make a perfect thank you gift.

OP
allstajacket
So many great custom knife makers out there that could make you a truly unique one of a kind gift. Find one that can do a blade style similar to the Kabar and it would sure seem like it could make a perfect thank you gift.

A friend of mine is a pretty popular custom maker. I wasn’t going to spend that much but I decided to go with one of his!

He hunt mule deer I believe, but he travels a lot for work, and has young kids at home. So he doesn’t really take any hunting trips. So I bet him coming to Michigan for a duck hunt likely wouldn’t happen. It’s a great thought though!

Host his family for a fishing trip.

If he is like me, and probably most hunters, he might already have too many knives. I take people every year and as a token of appreciation they sometimes give me certain things. I'd go hunting with him and see what you could upgrade for him after the trip.

I am certain that when you hunt with him you'll learn that he needs something, and he will really appriciate receiving it a week or two after the hunt. Just a thought
Agreed. Every group hunt I’ve been on there’s been talk like, “what we really need is a <blank>”.

Lytro

WKR
FWIW - Showing up in shape, prepared, and with a great attitude is better than any tangible gift you could give. I could care less if anyone gave me anything for taking them hunting, but I'd certainly care if they negatively affected the hunt.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Tools are good gifts. Maybe figure out what he doesn’t have and could use. For example, a cordless drill or reciprocating saw or chainsaw, nice toolbox, compressor, whatever.

DanimalW

WKR
Gift card for Sitka, FL or Kuiu maybe. As a wildlife photographer, he would likely get more use out of it than most dudes on here.

OP
allstajacket
Gift card for Sitka, FL or Kuiu maybe. As a wildlife photographer, he would likely get more use out of it than most dudes on here.

This is a great idea, but I think he gets a lot of that gear at a steep discount or free. I think he’s sponsored by Sitka or something of the like.

I'd wait and see if you can get any better ideas when you actually hunt with him, but otherwise if he wants the BK-2 it's for a reason, so best to go with the BK-2 rather than some "fancier" knife with different specs that don't meet his intended use criteria.

Laramie

WKR
Show up in shape with a good attitude. Bring some snacks that aren't readily available for purchase- custom jerky, salsa, or whatever that would be a novelty. If he is a beer drinker, maybe bring a 12 pack of Yeungling along. The knife isn't a bad idea after the hunt but like others have said, keep your ears open to anything else he might need.

OP
allstajacket
I wanted to post an update, my buddy finished the knife today:

Knife is made from A2 steel with green canvas micarta handles and brass pins. The sheath is handmade by him as well.

b3cdb8e070e3f60f257c0fe5925b3cc6.jpg

34e1396ac0db916f4f88f2f8b090d050.jpg

Last edited: