Gieselle AR triggers

JjamesIII

WKR
What’s with the hype over these triggers? I have two of them on my ar’s and I never was blown away by either. I wanted a safe and reliable “match” trigger.
They describe them as “breaking like glass”, supposedly. I would say more like “breaks like hotdog”, especially compared to a couple of my bolt gun triggers, namely Bix n Andy and Triggertechs.
Without wasting anymore money, who has a good two stage AR trigger that really “breaks like glass”?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What’s with the hype over these triggers? I have two of them on my ar’s and I never was blown away by either. I wanted a safe and reliable “match” trigger.
They describe them as “breaking like glass”, supposedly. I would say more like “breaks like hotdog”, especially compared to a couple of my bolt gun triggers, namely Bix n Andy and Triggertechs.
Without wasting anymore money, who has a good two stage AR trigger that really “breaks like glass”?

AR’s aren’t bolt actions. None of them work like a bolt action trigger. The system is different, don’t try to turn it into something it isn’t. Geissele and Larue Two stage triggers are the best reliable and safe AR triggers on the market.
Single stage cassette triggers are less reliable, more prone to failure, and less safe with drops.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I agree with safety being paramount for any trigger. Reliability is second to that. That’s why I initially went with the gieselle triggers. The inconsistent weight from shot to shot and the spongy feeling sucks. But I guess “it is what it is” on an ar platform.

FLS

WKR
They make a lot of triggers. Which one do you have?
The High Speed National Match is the most tunable trigger they have. I have one in my match AR. I also have a Trigger Tech in another. Both are great, but neither feels like a bolt gun trigger.
They must more take up and over travel than a bolt gun. If they don’t you’ll bump fire or double.

Tex68w

WKR
Like the others have said, don't expect a bolt gun trigger. Now throw a crap mil-spec trigger back in your AR and tell us your thoughts on the G trigger, I assure you that it's a massive upgrade.

freddyG

WKR
Although it’s a single stage, the best ar trigger I have used by far, is the JP enterprises that they use in their factory builds. It isn’t a jewell, but its as close to a good bolt gun trigger as it gets.

TxLite

WKR
The ssa-e and sd-e are the best I’ve used for an AR. That’s all I use anymore

TheHammer

WKR
I preferred the Midwest industry trigger to… but comparing a bolt gun trigger which doesn’t have a minimum required weight? To an ar required to have 3.5lbs is apples to watermelons. The ssae is highly regarded and should fit the bill.

freddyG

WKR
I preferred the Midwest industry trigger to… but comparing a bolt gun trigger which doesn’t have a minimum required weight? To an ar required to have 3.5lbs is apples to watermelons. The ssae is highly regarded and should fit the bill.
3.5 lb required? Not even close. All mine are between 1.5-2 lb. Very crisp, and no doubles ever.

Geissele triggers do vary widely on how crisp their trigger-breaks are. They actually talk about them individually on the subject on the website, with some being described as crisp, and some described as having a "rolling" break - all of which is determined by the actual purpose of the trigger. The more "duty" or "3 gun" it's oriented around, the crappier the break is. SSA-E is probably the crispest of them that I've experienced.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
Geissele triggers do vary widely on how crisp their trigger-breaks are. They actually talk about them individually on the subject on the website, with some being described as crisp, and some described as having a "rolling" break - all of which is determined by the actual purpose of the trigger. The more "duty" or "3 gun" it's oriented around, the crappier the break is. SSA-E is probably the crispest of them that I've experienced.
That’s the model I got after my disappointment with the ssa trigger. “Enhanced” to a small degree. I did my due diligence prior to buying them reading post on ar forums as well as the manufacturer’s description as to what you can expect the break to be like. I just couldn’t get my hands on one to actually demo them to compare. I can see what their term “rolling break” is- everyone else would probably refer to that as “spongy”. Not a big deal, I guess I’ll just learn to live with them and appreciate their positive attributes of safety/reliability.

That’s the model I got after my disappointment with the ssa trigger. “Enhanced” to a small degree. I did my due diligence prior to buying them reading post on ar forums as well as the manufacturer’s description as to what you can expect the break to be like. I just couldn’t get my hands on one to actually demo them to compare. I can see what their term “rolling break” is- everyone else would probably refer to that as “spongy”. Not a big deal, I guess I’ll just learn to live with them and appreciate their positive attributes of safety/reliability.

Yeah...going from a good bolt-gun's trigger to most AR triggers is a bit like going from 1911 triggers to Glocks. There are some, however, that are extremely crisp. I've been hearing really good things about the Blackout Defense triggers, but haven't gotten to feel one yet in person.

If you're shooting suppressed or if this intended to be a defensive/combat gun, I'd recommend sticking with your G trigger. However, if it's for hunting there are plenty of single-stage cassette triggers that are excellent, and reliable enough to where you shouldn't have any problems. The biggest problem I've seen with cassette triggers in ARs is suppressor fouling or sand getting into them and shutting them down - the open design of the G triggers just doesn't seem to have a problem with this.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
I will be eventually firing suppressed with these ar’s- if the atf decides to get off their asses and get my stamp - after close to13 months of waiting! Good points, thanks for mentioning the suppressor fouling up trigger systems.

I have the Geisselle 2 stage trigger in my Patrol rifle (Bushmaster Patrolman's' Carbine). It shoots as advertised, crisp clean break after taking up the slack on the 2nd stage. I haven't weighed the break, but it is a very clean 3 to 4 pounds.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
If you can find a Milazzo-Krieger (later called the Wisconsin trigger) They are as good of a match trigger I have used in an AR. The downside is they are no longer made and they are not a drop in trigger. A lot of guys I know use them in their High Power match rifles.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Timney Impact Trigger when they were on promotion for $70 just to try it out. It’s obviously a cassette style trigger, so I have no delusions regarding durability, etc. However, it’s way nicer than I anticipated. Almost as good as another Timney trigger on my Howa. The break is clean, and reset is short.

Fubijar

FNG
I’ve always thought that G$ triggers were overhyped for their cost, but they are about perfect for the platform, depending on which you have and why. Larue is as good to my finger, and for a price that seems reasonable. It is what I am slowly upgrading all of my rifles to.

Like others have mentioned though, apples to oranges with regard to bolt guns. I have a couple cassette style that came with various rifles that are pretty impressive, but I like the reliability of the good old faithfuls. My POF trigger is very, very nice though.