Getting the last minute jitters.

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Well, a week from today me and my hunting buddy will be headed west, I just got through going through and packing everything and making sure I wasn’t forgetting anything, lol.
We have extra gear that will stay at the truck, to resupply on food and if anything fails on us.
Tomorrow, I plan on going through the truck and organizing gear, like toolbox, chains, shovel, jack, gas cans, etc.
Since we’re down to the last week home, what are some last minute checklist or to-do list that you guys have? Any suggestions on getting everything in order, for the hunt and at home? I’m just getting the excited and I’m worried I will forget something that should have been packed/ or should have been done. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions all of you have given me in the year leading up to this trip, and any last minute tips/ suggestions would be appreciated.036E8476-221A-4A0A-AE27-955F1F18353A.jpeg54CEBAD8-C7AA-45BE-A13D-5EF87B8D867F.jpeg

Erict

WKR
Like you said - checklists. I always use on for long trips. Type one up, print it out and continue to modify it until I'm sure I haven't missed anything. When I get back, I look it over to see if there was anything I should have done without or anything I should have added. Good luck.

wyosteve

WKR
I approach it with the mindset of make sure to take the things that aren't easy to replace like tags, ammo, sleeping bag, tent, weapon, etc. The rest can usually be bought if you forget it.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
May sound silly, but run your ammo through your rifle to ensure it will chamber.

Prioritize tag, rifle, ammo, knife, fresh batteries and pack your daypack now. You can always buy forgotten items later. Good luck

Gila

WKR
I eventually went with a “kill” kit which includes: the game bags, knives, sharpeners, rubber gloves and Kevlar glove, para-cord, and of course the tags. I put the kit in the bottom of my day pack. This year the New Mexico tags are just shitty paper that will disintegrate when wet. They recommend using clear packing tape once the tags are attached. The tags have to be signed and notched. They might have electronic tags this year...I don’t mess with them.

Unscented sunscreen, and I always make sure to cut my finger nails a few days before leaving. Too close to the trip and too short, they end up hurting like hell from splitting.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Unscented sunscreen, and I always make sure to cut my finger nails a few days before leaving. Too close to the trip and too short, they end up hurting like hell from splitting.
Did that a couple days ago, for the same reason.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I lost my phone during the stalk of an elk that my wife killed. It was a serious inconvenience not having it as I use my phone a lot to mark where I drop my pack, kill site, meat storage site. Whatever. This year I’m bringing one of my old phones loaded with all my onX data. Most of us have a couple old phones around. Maybe bring an extra and leave it in the vehicle?