Getting rigged with all prioper clothing

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
I have been bitten by the elk bug and am planning a 2013 OTC, or drop camp Colorado hunt. Have read all about all the proper clothing needed but do'nt want to break the bank in the process. When y'all got started, how did you go about it? Buying a little at a time? Been trying to keep an eye on clearance or outlet sales but seem to be a little late.

Don't get caught up in getting a specific brand when a "generic" will work just as well if it is a quality product. Think about the generic things you need and then go find them on sale or at a good price. You will need, from skin out:
~ merino baselayers next to the skin,
~ maybe another baselayer insulating layer,
~ pants and jacket windproof and water resistant outerlayer (maybe in a softshell),
~ an insulating jacket like a down or Polartec "puffy" jacket to wear under your outer shell,
~ a set of rain gear,
~ hat of some sort, and
~ gloves.

Also, keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the lightest stuff out there or the most water repellant, it just has to do what you want it to do.

Sierra Trading Post is a good place to look as they have remnants all the time and seem to always have something on sale.

Cabelas has a lightweight down jacket for around $40 right now and Polartec jackets for $50 to $100.

KUIU has the Spindrift insulating layer on sale for $100 right now.

Your current outerwear/camo may work fine for what you will be doing, and you just need to get things like an insulating layer and some good baselayers.

sk1

WKR
Well, I was dumb and did most of it all at once, even replacing things I already had that would have worked ok with better stuff...

if you have a year to plan, maybe pick out all of the gear you want/feel you need, and get the total retail dollar amount. divide that by 12 and see if your budget can handle it? it could be more reasonable than you think if you have some things already and dont need new optics and high dollar items like that....if starting from scratch obviously it can get expensive quick....depending on how high quality of gear you buy, but also remember a $250 jacket doesnt make you a good hunter as discussed in other posts, just a more comfortable one and possibly able to hunt longer because of it.

i would read through the gear forums and start making your list of what you want/need, see what it adds up to, and if it exceeds your budget look at options for where you can sacrifice a bit...just my thoughts on it after buying it all at once this summer.

also core4element on camofire.com makes some decent merino base layers that are much cheaper than most other companies they come in black or camo if you subscribe and keep an eye on it, will save you some money in the long run....i have kuiu, firstlite, and core4 merino stuff and my personal opinion is the are equally comfortable. also core4element makes a full line of mountain mimicry camo gear sold specifically on camofire, i've heard mostly good things but cannot say for myself as i do not own it....just a thought if you need clothes it may be an option to help the budget

OP
K

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
2 good informative posts. KUIU sold out on the jackets and the attack pants that were on sale. I'll keep looking. Read a great article in Elk Hunter magazine on clothing for Multi Day Backpack hunt. Gave a good list of items: base, insulating, outer, and shell layers, that I will work on getting this year. I am planning on doing a drop camp hunt so I do'nt know if I would need all that. Have good optics but would need a good spotting scope. Been keeping an eye on camofire too. I dug around and found a top and bottom of Russell Outdoors APXG2. I'l check how this fit in my elk arsenal. Larry and sk1 thanks for the good advice and I'll keep reading the gear forums.

dotman

WKR
Get the leftover gear, so when 2012 goes on sale and 2013 is coming out or currently the 2011 and prior stuff. I picked up all my first lite gear 50% off or more and 25% off my kuiu attak pants. You can get good gear if you research a bunch and jump when you find a deal. Also sponsors of the site have been known to throw out a discount code here and there.

The best thing you have going is all the topics that have been covered and all the people here that have tried most things and have a pretty good idea of items that suck even if they are considered to of the line. Also try not to get caught up in camo, if you go the non camo route the costis usually less and camo only helps hid you from human eyes.

This isn't a sponsor but has the best deals I have found on first liteand sitka, plus they carry leftover sitka and first lite. http://high-mountain-outfitters.com/First-Lite_c18.htm?gclid=COfx9M_5_a4CFYe5KgodzHjC2Q

Now I do agree with supporting our sponsors but hard not to save some cash.