Getting a new truck, help me decide

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Owned a few dodges and loved them. But I bought an ECO Diesel and it's had some freakin ISSUES!

I really like your truck Bruce but hopefully with kids in the near future I want to get a mega cab for my next truck. I don't know if that is an option for the 1500 with the diesel like yours but that would be my ideal truck since I don't need to tow anything heavy that requires a 1 ton.

The back has room for three adults to sit comfortably with plenty of leg room even with the front seats all the way back.

14690859_10210547117655265_3298772344261912274_n.j  pg

11221775_10210547108735042_9109053565134022857_n.j  pg

Anyone can get a lemon and it can be said that with Dodge you either get a great vehicle or you don't. Thus far I have owned all my Dodges for no less than 11 yrs and sell em when they get close to 175K. My last Ram 1500 I drove for almost 16 yrs. Biggest mechanical failures were the radiator and water pump. Everything else was just regular maint.

For clearance offroad I put a 6" BDS suspension lift and 35" Toyos Xtremes, with Power Steps I can clear anything I'm likely to encounter and it handles mud fine.

[video=youtube;q_ijoCm5AoI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_ijoCm5AoI[/video]

The Power Steps are a far better choice for maximum clearance IMO.

[video=youtube;0-jNhzTS9cY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-jNhzTS9cY[/video]

I chose diesel because I can 250 miles further on a tank than I could with my Ram gasser. That lets me go much further into the backcountry before hoofin' it to set up a base camp.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 3/4 ton gasser ford as an upgrade from tundra. Tundra was a great truck, zero issues, but pulling my 30 ft camper was a bit of strain for it. Avg MPG while pulling was 8 on flat roads and 6.5 in mtns. With only a 26 gallon tank on tundra, you had to make frequent gas stops. The 6.2 ford averages 11mpg flat roads and 9.5 in mtns towing my camper. Empty I get 13 around town and have seen as high as 16.4 (all hand calculated) on long highway trips.

I too debated between a used diesel and a gas truck. In the end, gas won. Used diesels in my area run $15-18k more than gas. Since I tow my camper 8-10x a year and the rest is empty or light towing. I couldn't justify a diesel. The 6.2 has plenty of power while under a load. So far I have had no issues with the truck. I bought it with 50k on it, I've put 13k on it in 8 months, about 1500 heavy towing miles. Very pleased with my purchase.

mtmuley

WKR
Bruce, all that money on lift and stuff, and you choose the worst tire on the planet? For a gasser, I'd go GM. The LS series of engines are the best gasoline engines currently produced. You can argue the rest of the truck among the Big 3, but GM has the engine. mtmuley

Bruce, all that money on lift and stuff, and you choose the worst tire on the planet? For a gasser, I'd go GM. The LS series of engines are the best gasoline engines currently produced. You can argue the rest of the truck among the Big 3, but GM has the engine. mtmuley

I find the Toyo Open Country AT Xtreme handle all types of conditions (except ice) better than cheaper tires and come with a 50,000 mile warranty. Even gets me through long stretches of that paint-eating red clay AZ has. That mud is slick!

DMG

FNG
I have had 3/4 ton and 1 ton GM and Fords. The diesels from any manufacturer are a mess now due to emissions bullshit. I have a Ford with the V10 now and would either buy the V10 or the Ford 6.2 if I had to replace it. My Chevies rusted out faster and the front end is weaker.

I just went through this this year. I watched and took in the info I could all year. My plan was to buy a used 3/4 ton at the end of this year. I ended up pushing that up because of issues with my truck I had.

I started with the diesel vs gas debate. I was looking at gas. I decided I was going to get a GM truck, wanted a GMC but a Silverado was on my list. After months of watching the market I decided for the price of a used 3/4 ton with low miles I should probably look at some new ones. I didn't need all the options so even new I could get into one for hardly much more than a used one. I had so much time to look I also started looking at diesels. I was noticing how cheap the used RAMs were and that got me looking at the diesel options. However, I just couldn't get myself to want a RAM.

My local dealers are limited and the RAM/Ford dealer is the bigger of what we have, much more inventory. I stopped in to see if they could locate something for me. While I was there I test drove a gas F250. I have heard good things about it and was curious. They had a Diesel there that was only a few grand over what my original price range was so I drove it. I was sold and ended up buying it. I still would have went with a GM but the Duramax was just to expensive for me.

Anyway, this is my first diesel and I really like it. I dont know if I will go back to a gas truck. Can't wait to tow the camp trailer.

HOT ROD

WKR
I had a Ram 1500 that was a good truck... After moving to Wyoming it was traded for a Nissan Titan.. Not being able to run chains was the deal breaker for me... The Titan is a better truck than the Ram.. It feels much more stable towing my 18 foot bumper pull camper.. In the Wyoming wind... Any one from Wyoming knows what I am talking about... As far as off road.. The Titan wins there to.. Even with out chains....

uzikaduzi

FNG
The diff is unlike half tons that are way overrated for their capabilities Nissan underrated the Titan XD. Guys are easily pull 15k and going way over the stated rating. But I’ll take an underrated pickup over an overrated one like an F150 HD that will be dragging its bumper on the ground while the Titan XD only squats a few inches.

Everything they put into the Titan XD is beefy, has the same size brakes as a one ton, same trans as the 3/4 Ram diesel etc etc. unlike the big 3 they are keeping their payload and tow capacity low as most will exceed it, I wouldn’t be worried to exceed the Titan XD ratings plus it weight 8700lbs compared to 1/2 tons weighing 6k lbs which means it’s a much more stable platform that will not be moved around nearly as easily as a 1/2 ton.

But yes if you go off paper it doesn’t look that impressive.

people do that with the ford, chevy, and dodge 1/2 tons too... for some reason Titan and Tundra owners are convinced that these trucks were underrated by the manufacturers and are really comparable to 3/4 ton trucks. i have nothing against either truck. they are good trucks, but they are still fairly 1/2 tons.

the titan does have nice big brakes and the Aisin 6 speed, but the truck needs these things... it weighs what a 3/4 ton truck weighs but objectively doesn't have the specs to be moving the weight a 3/4 ton truck does... they do legitimately put a 3/4 ton axle up front, but it happens to be one of the weakest modern front axles of that weight rating (look up the AAM 235mm and see reviews... specifically the IFS version not the solid axle the ram uses). it doesn't increase capacity as it needs a stronger front axle than it's 1/2 ton competitors because the 5.0 Cummings is 900 pounds and the curb weight is anywhere from 1500-3000 pounds more than it's competitors. to put that in prospective, the actual 3/4 ton diesel options have the following weights: the 6.7l cummings is 1050, the 6.7l powerstroke is 970, and the 6.6l duramax is 870... the titan needs that axle because of it's heavier engine which again weighs what a 3/4 ton does, yet it's power output is what you'd expect out of a smaller diesel (being competitive with 1/2 tons) at 310hp and 555 lb-ft of torque but the 3/4 tons again blow it out of the water with the 6.7 cummins making 385 hp and 865 lb-ft, the 6.7l powerstroke making 440 hp and 860 lb-ft , and the duramax making397 hp and 765 lb-ft... the titan xd's 1/2 ton competitors all have weigh around 450 pd for their motors with the exception of the 5.7l hemi being 560 yet have pretty competitive hp and torque specs (all 400+ hp and all 400 + lb-ft of torque) you mention the weight of the titan as being a benefit (even though you are mentioning GVWR and not curb weight) and being better at exceeding it's weight ratings, you miss the fact that with these other 1/2 tons barely weigh or ever so slightly exceed what the titan does empty when their payload is maxed out. i can see how you might think that this heavier platform must equate to a more stable platform to haul and tow from, but the rear axle of the titan is a 1/2 ton aam axle specifically the 250mm to be precise and it's weight rating is similar to the ford 9.75", or the corporate 12 in the chevy, or the zf 9.25" in the ram. you like how it doesn't squat as much and i understand that, but it's merely heavier springs making a 1/2 ton ride rougher than other 1/2 tons, but failing to increase it's capabilities because of of the 1/2 ton rear axle.

if you like the titan xd's, buy one. they are nice trucks, but it's just not true that they are actually 3/4 ton trucks and they are not underrated from the factory... it is easy to find where it's capacity limitations are and compare because AAM axles are used in chevys and rams. when you read that the titan XD has massive 14.7" brakes, an aisin 6 speed from a ram 3500, doesn't squat as much when hauling, coupled with the words "cummins" and "diesel" it's easy to get mistaken and think must be underrated since it's haul and tow ratings are very close to trucks that don't have those things, but when you look at it's actual running gear, weights, and power specs, it's fairly a 1/2 ton.

Last edited:

thaechten

FNG
I only drive 1 ton diesels, so take this with a grain of salt, but my rule of thumb is : If you want a super comfy cab, get a Chev\GM. If you want the best running gear, i.e balljoints, get a Ford. If you want the best engine, get a Dodge. So other than the engine part (I have no experience with gas engines) I would still hold to that. And by 'best', I mean work on it less. Trucks suck in general, but they are a necessary tool.

I'll semi-agree with this. I drive 3/4 ton diesels and I'll throw in my two cents. Dodge has a good cummins motor but there's a good chance you will have to replace a tranny among many other things around 100k miles or earlier. Not sure about the new ones, but the old ones had bad interior issues, everything falls apart. Chevy and Ford are both good pickups and the newer Ford's give Chevy a run for their money when it comes to interior comfort. Hard to beat the allison transmission in the Chevy but all around I'm gonna have to say Ford takes the cake.

When it comes to gas, I'm not so sure. I know dodge has a good hemi motor and chevy's vortex aint bad either. I don't think Ford is too good when it comes to gas. I think I would go with a Chevy though, I've had and heard of people having a hard time with dodges even though they're cheaper.

dotman

WKR
people do that with the ford, chevy, and dodge 1/2 tons too... for some reason Titan and Tundra owners are convinced that these trucks were underrated by the manufacturers and are really comparable to 3/4 ton trucks. i have nothing against either truck. they are good trucks, but they are still fairly 1/2 tons.

the titan does have nice big brakes and the Aisin 6 speed, but the truck needs these things... it weighs what a 3/4 ton truck weighs but objectively doesn't have the specs to be moving the weight a 3/4 ton truck does... they do legitimately put a 3/4 ton axle up front, but it happens to be one of the weakest modern front axles of that weight rating (look up the AAM 235mm and see reviews... specifically the IFS version not the solid axle the ram uses). it doesn't increase capacity as it needs a stronger front axle than it's 1/2 ton competitors because the 5.0 Cummings is 900 pounds and the curb weight is anywhere from 1500-3000 pounds more than it's competitors. to put that in prospective, the actual 3/4 ton diesel options have the following weights: the 6.7l cummings is 1050, the 6.7l powerstroke is 970, and the 6.6l duramax is 870... the titan needs that axle because of it's heavier engine which again weighs what a 3/4 ton does, yet it's power output is what you'd expect out of a smaller diesel (being competitive with 1/2 tons) at 310hp and 555 lb-ft of torque but the 3/4 tons again blow it out of the water with the 6.7 cummins making 385 hp and 865 lb-ft, the 6.7l powerstroke making 440 hp and 860 lb-ft , and the duramax making397 hp and 765 lb-ft... the titan xd's 1/2 ton competitors all have weigh around 450 pd for their motors with the exception of the 5.7l hemi being 560 yet have pretty competitive hp and torque specs (all 400+ hp and all 400 + lb-ft of torque) you mention the weight of the titan as being a benefit (even though you are mentioning GVWR and not curb weight) and being better at exceeding it's weight ratings, you miss the fact that with these other 1/2 tons barely weigh or ever so slightly exceed what the titan does empty when their payload is maxed out. i can see how you might think that this heavier platform must equate to a more stable platform to haul and tow from, but the rear axle of the titan is a 1/2 ton aam axle specifically the 250mm to be precise and it's weight rating is similar to the ford 9.75", or the corporate 12 in the chevy, or the zf 9.25" in the ram. you like how it doesn't squat as much and i understand that, but it's merely heavier springs making a 1/2 ton ride rougher than other 1/2 tons, but failing to increase it's capabilities because of of the 1/2 ton rear axle.

if you like the titan xd's, buy one. they are nice trucks, but it's just not true that they are actually 3/4 ton trucks and they are not underrated from the factory... it is easy to find where it's capacity limitations are and compare because AAM axles are used in chevys and rams. when you read that the titan XD has massive 14.7" brakes, an aisin 6 speed from a ram 3500, doesn't squat as much when hauling, coupled with the words "cummins" and "diesel" it's easy to get mistaken and think must be underrated since it's haul and tow ratings are very close to trucks that don't have those things, but when you look at it's actual running gear, weights, and power specs, it's fairly a 1/2 ton.

Unlike you I don’t need to compare off specs, I own a Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins and it is a workhorse for what it is, I would love to see any 1/2 ton pull or handle a load like it so comfortably. I pulled my 6k camper (yes I know not super heavy but a big sail it is) across windy western KS with head and side winds and gusts up to 20mph with the ease that this does, my 6.0 GMC 3/4 ton couldn’t do it without always downshifting and I highly doubt a 1/2 ton could while driving 70mph and the cruise on all the while not being moved around or having white knuckles. Yes the 3/4 ton diesels could but unlike them the ride is very smooth in the Nissan loaded or not.

I get you look at specs and shake your head at the Nissan, that’s ok but after owning a 2003 Dodge diesel (similar power and torque as the Nissan by the way) and a GMC 2500 with the gas 6.0, the Nissan is my favorite out of the three. Yup the Titan is close to the same weight as a 3/4 ton, this is good when towing. If you tow less then 10k the Nissan is what I recommend off of first hand experience, over that I’ll go with a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton any day.

Oh and I never said it was a 3/4 ton but it isn’t a 1/2 ton either, the Nissan is a 5/8 ton, after it I would only look at 1 tons as they ride similar to the 3/4 tons. Truthfully I’m not sure why people keep comparing it to a 3/4 ton, Nissan clearly doesn’t market it as one. Based on what the OP does the Titan would be more then capable and more comfortable then the 3/4tons.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Unlike you I don’t need to compare off specs, I own a Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins and it is a workhorse for what it is, I would love to see any 1/2 ton pull or handle a load like it so comfortably. I pulled my 6k camper (yes I know not super heavy but a big sail it is) across windy western KS with head and side winds and gusts up to 20mph with the ease that this does, my 6.0 GMC 3/4 ton couldn’t do it without always downshifting and I highly doubt a 1/2 ton could while driving 70mph and the cruise on all the while not being moved around or having white knuckles. Yes the 3/4 ton diesels could but unlike them the ride is very smooth in the Nissan loaded or not.

I get you look at specs and shake your head at the Nissan, that’s ok but after owning a 2003 Dodge diesel (similar power and torque as the Nissan by the way) and a GMC 2500 with the gas 6.0, the Nissan is my favorite out of the three. Yup the Titan is close to the same weight as a 3/4 ton, this is good when towing. If you tow less then 10k the Nissan is what I recommend off of first hand experience, over that I’ll go with a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton any day.

Oh and I never said it was a 3/4 ton but it isn’t a 1/2 ton either, the Nissan is a 5/8 ton, after it I would only look at 1 tons as they ride similar to the 3/4 tons. Truthfully I’m not sure why people keep comparing it to a 3/4 ton, Nissan clearly doesn’t market it as one. Based on what the OP does the Titan would be more then capable and more comfortable then the 3/4tons.

A 6k camper at low elevation on flat ground is no test at all of any trucks capabilities. Hook up 10k and bring it to the mountains, I'll show you a "little half ton" that will show you some taillights up any hill you can find :)

The XD with the Cummins can't even outrun and XD with the gas motor...

2016 Nissan Titan XD Gas vs. Titan XD Diesel: Super Ike Gauntlet Towing Review - The Fast Lane Truck

kicker338

WKR
I'll semi-agree with this. I drive 3/4 ton diesels and I'll throw in my two cents. Dodge has a good cummins motor but there's a good chance you will have to replace a tranny among many other things around 100k miles or earlier. Not sure about the new ones, but the old ones had bad interior issues, everything falls apart. Chevy and Ford are both good pickups and the newer Ford's give Chevy a run for their money when it comes to interior comfort. Hard to beat the allison transmission in the Chevy but all around I'm gonna have to say Ford takes the cake.

When it comes to gas, I'm not so sure. I know dodge has a good hemi motor and chevy's vortex aint bad either. I don't think Ford is too good when it comes to gas. I think I would go with a Chevy though, I've had and heard of people having a hard time with dodges even though they're cheaper.

Wait till the 2019 f250 comes out, new motor, double overhead cam, 4 valves per cyl. and 427 cubic inches gasser. supposed to have way more power than the current gas motors and get better fuel milage too. It will get the same 10 speed I have in my 2017 ecoboost.

dotman

WKR
A 6k camper at low elevation on flat ground is no test at all of any trucks capabilities. Hook up 10k and bring it to the mountains, I'll show you a "little half ton" that will show you some taillights up any hill you can find :)

The XD with the Cummins can't even outrun and XD with the gas motor...

2016 Nissan Titan XD Gas vs. Titan XD Diesel: Super Ike Gauntlet Towing Review - The Fast Lane Truck

Yes on flat ground and no wind I do agree, I can tell though you haven’t towed across windy KS, going over wolf creek pass in CO isn’t bad at all, but I don’t tow in only perfect conditions. The Titan pulled my brothers 8k lb skid steer on a 3klb trailer just fine as well. Now if you reread what I wrote the weight wasn’t the test, the fact that the trailer didn’t man handle the pickup in crazy winds was the point, a 1/2 ton would not be fun in those conditions. Also take a 1/2 ton or any gas engine pickup into a head and side wind see how enjoyable the tow is.

Who cares about speed? You don’t buy a diesel to race or see how quick you are. And yup you may show me your taillights while your engine sounds like it’s about to blow up at 6k rpm while I’m chugging along at 2k rpm and having a nice conversation with my passenger.

Last edited:

2five7

WKR
Yes on flat ground and no wind I do agree, I can tell though you haven’t towed across windy KS, going over wolf creek pass in CO isn’t bad at all, but I don’t tow in only perfect conditions. The Titan pulled my brothers 8k lb skid steer on a 3klb trailer just fine as well. Now if you reread what I wrote the weight wasn’t the test, the fact that the trailer didn’t man handle the pickup in crazy winds was the point, a 1/2 ton would not be fun in those conditions. Also take a 1/2 ton or any gas engine pickup into a head and side wind see how enjoyable the tow is.

Who cares about speed? You don’t buy a diesel to race or see how quick you are. And yup you may show me your taillights while your engine sounds like it’s about to blow up at 6k rpm while I’m chugging along at 2k rpm and having a nice conversation with my passenger.

6k rpm? I'm guessing you've never driven or ridden in a 3.5 ecoboost truck? You might see 3k on real steep hill, flat ground more like 1800. We get it, you love your Titan, and that's great. Just don't try to convince us it's something more than what it really is, a half ton with a heavy engine.

dotman

WKR
6k rpm? I'm guessing you've never driven or ridden in a 3.5 ecoboost truck? You might see 3k on real steep hill, flat ground more like 1800. We get it, you love your Titan, and that's great. Just don't try to convince us it's something more than what it really is, a half ton with a heavy engine.

Haven’t driven an ecoboost but I have a hard time believing a gas 1/2 ton could pull a 10k trailer up the mountains at 3k rpm, I mean nice that makes gas and diesel 3/4 tons obsolete. And hear you say I’m the one trying to convince people it is something it isn’t.

Thanks for setting me straight that the Titan XD is a half ton.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Any modern diesel is as quiet, if not quieter compared to their gas counter part (sadly). 02 duramax with a 5in straight pipe doesn’t bother game one bit. That being said GM makes the best gas engine hands down, I’m a GM fan but most all trucks built in the last ten years will give each other a run for their money. Each one has comparable capacities. (Towing, MPG, features, etc). If going the diesel route I would definitely delete the emissions ASAP as they’re nothing but headaches.

Wish they would put the mini dmax in 1/2 tons though, that would be an awesome truck.