Get better at windcalls

Dobermann

WKR
Next episode. Sorry, this is not a very entertaining film and I'm going the long way in this season...
Very basic.

Thomas - we come to you for knowledge, not entertainment.

Although the product placement section for underwear that had you dancing around and shaking your butt with no warning remains as one of the funniest things I've personally seen on the internet ...

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
That one was to cringe my kids to death - " dad, my social life is over!" Great, more time available for chores...
Ep 370 is a bit more digestible, ep 371 should be more "allround relevant".

Just waiting for more winds...

West2East

FNG
Here's the next episode, more on the same basic themes
Loved both of these videos.
Can you explain why you left your zero to the left (1-2cm) on your 100m target? I know you said "spindrift" and the shots where it's close enough to see that you are "off" it probably doesn't matter on animals or large targets. Is this just personal preference so that at the 600m and longer targets you're not having to include spindrift in your "wind hold"?

Thanks! and again, great content!

ElPollo

WKR
Thomas. Appreciate and enjoy your videos. Your low medium and high wind estimation seems pretty useful, but how specific do you think your wind reads are to your environment?

Where I live and hunt, wind speed this morning are currently at 18-36 miles per hour and trees are a rarity. My take is that estimating wind speeds from vegetation gets harder when all you have is grass and when you are at the higher end of the spectrum. Estimating speed from mirage is also tougher at higher speeds because basically everything is completely horizontal. I tend to use my wind meter multiple times per day just to keep track of the peaks and lulls and make adjustments at the shot based on how the wind feels relative to recent checks. I still use vegetation for direction, but most of the category systems based on movement (e.g. the Beaufort scale) aren’t precise enough for shooting in my world.

Also, I noticed your reference to “half the hundreds” for a drop calculation. Which is pretty similar to the quick drop system that Form refers to. Have you to listened to his recent Form Friday podcasts on that? Do you see any significant differences between what would are doing for windage and elevation from what he is using?

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
They are not specific to my environment, as I've applied them on several continents.
You can extrapolate from lower windobservations, but then you have to know what the Hellmann Coefficient is (a formula for "friction" in the terrain) or apply "firefighter's math". Both which would be wildly inconvenient methods compared to raising a Kestrel. The mentioned Beaufort scale is in my opinion rubbish for a shooter.

Visual observation is best limited to velocities not higher than 10 mph. Beyond that you start having so much whipping - vibration - boiling as well as mechanical turbulence over terrain features which will give you false readings.

My opinion is that you should get your windcall down to 2mph error or less. More than that and you run out of range/ error budget pretty fast. My opinion is that you should be familiar with your error budget and the shoot/no shoot decision should be a gauging of budget against available target surface.

Under the conditions you subscribe, I certainly cannot do that without a Kestrel. I have headshot at 400-450'ish under similar conditions (the shot needed taking to fix someone elses problem), but that was with high Bc bullet (g1 up towards 0,8?) AND the wind observation was held against earlier Kestrel measurements. So it was a comparison of two pictures and not an actual windobservation taken "off the terrain". It was "this looks the same as the last spot which measured 9 msec (18'ish mph)". Even so, it was a lucky shot. I would not have been able to detect an 8 or 11 or even react to a gust (which is a sudden increase 5 msec or more)

...just in case ther's been a misunderstanding, "half the hundreds" is windage, not drop/elevation if that was the reference. It is in essense the same as the mph gun system, it's just a convenient way to arrange the numbers. Allthough the unit names and process might have variations, the physics behind remains the same. If the efficiency is there, no protests from my side - it's easy to develop a "cultural affinity" for certain units of measurements (for example naming the wind knots, mph, msec or kmh - they all do the same thing under different names). So I doubt there would be much difference between us as understand both of us to be oriented towards killing. I suspect Form is a bit more updated as I essentially stopped evolving sometime around 2010-12, and I've also stepped "back and down" since my 2021 haircut. Limited time and resources, so I focus on an even smaller skillset.

Do you have a link to the podcast? Searching Form Friday on Spotify gave me the episode "who killed Jesus". I have an inkling there's little shooting involved in that podcast...

Was this helpful or perhaps just a wall of text?

Edit:
And just to be clear: I have nothing against Kestrels.
I'm just trying to keep the material threshold (and monetary investment) lower for a beginning shooter.
If you understand basic wind and pick up a Kestrel, you have a gain.
If you never learnt basic wind and just take a number of a Kestrel, you have a handicap and a training error.

I suspect that when the reality of field shooting kicks in, many will find the simple methods to be "sufficient for effective range" until getting into position is mastered. Recognizing and getting TO a position where you can take the shot is THE prerequisite for a good shot. Why juggle gear? Your eyes should be on target, your head should be on the environment and you should be "present" enough to understand what is happening right now.

Last edited:
OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Loved both of these videos.
Can you explain why you left your zero to the left (1-2cm) on your 100m target? I know you said "spindrift" and the shots where it's close enough to see that you are "off" it probably doesn't matter on animals or large targets. Is this just personal preference so that at the 600m and longer targets you're not having to include spindrift in your "wind hold"?

Thanks! and again, great content!
Yes you deducted correctly.
It is my personal preference.

I'd rather take have the error where it's small enough to be irrelevant and have a more "neutral" windhold meaning rather than forget the correction and have that be the difference between a marginal lung shot and a burst diaphrame with poo salsa pushed into the meat.

I doubt it is important enough to really matter.

aschuler

FNG
I don't have anything to add the conversation I just wanted to say thanks for all the videos you've produced over the years. It has been a wonderful source of information and inspiration. Please keep it up!

West2East

FNG
Yes you deducted correctly.
It is my personal preference.

I'd rather take have the error where it's small enough to be irrelevant and have a more "neutral" windhold meaning rather than forget the correction and have that be the difference between a marginal lung shot and a burst diaphrame with poo salsa pushed into the meat.

I doubt it is important enough to really matter.
Thanks!
Thought I'd mention that watching your videos has become a "family affair" with my two young daughters( 2 and 4yr old) Haha. They ask for the hunting video where the guy shoots on an island;) I also had to start out by telling them you probably lived close to Anna and Elsa(Disney Princesses).
Gotta start them young!

ElPollo

WKR
They are not specific to my environment, as I've applied them on several continents.
You can extrapolate from lower windobservations, but then you have to know what the Hellmann Coefficient is (a formula for "friction" in the terrain) or apply "firefighter's math". Both which would be wildly inconvenient methods compared to raising a Kestrel. The mentioned Beaufort scale is in my opinion rubbish for a shooter.

Visual observation is best limited to velocities not higher than 10 mph. Beyond that you start having so much whipping - vibration - boiling as well as mechanical turbulence over terrain features which will give you false readings.

My opinion is that you should get your windcall down to 2mph error or less. More than that and you run out of range/ error budget pretty fast. My opinion is that you should be familiar with your error budget and the shoot/no shoot decision should be a gauging of budget against available target surface.

Under the conditions you subscribe, I certainly cannot do that without a Kestrel. I have headshot at 400-450'ish under similar conditions (the shot needed taking to fix someone elses problem), but that was with high Bc bullet (g1 up towards 0,8?) AND the wind observation was held against earlier Kestrel measurements. So it was a comparison of two pictures and not an actual windobservation taken "off the terrain". It was "this looks the same as the last spot which measured 9 msec (18'ish mph)". Even so, it was a lucky shot. I would not have been able to detect an 8 or 11 or even react to a gust (which is a sudden increase 5 msec or more)

...just in case ther's been a misunderstanding, "half the hundreds" is windage, not drop/elevation if that was the reference. It is in essense the same as the mph gun system, it's just a convenient way to arrange the numbers. Allthough the unit names and process might have variations, the physics behind remains the same. If the efficiency is there, no protests from my side - it's easy to develop a "cultural affinity" for certain units of measurements (for example naming the wind knots, mph, msec or kmh - they all do the same thing under different names). So I doubt there would be much difference between us as understand both of us to be oriented towards killing. I suspect Form is a bit more updated as I essentially stopped evolving sometime around 2010-12, and I've also stepped "back and down" since my 2021 haircut. Limited time and resources, so I focus on an even smaller skillset.

Do you have a link to the podcast? Searching Form Friday on Spotify gave me the episode "who killed Jesus". I have an inkling there's little shooting involved in that podcast...

Was this helpful or perhaps just a wall of text?

Edit:
And just to be clear: I have nothing against Kestrels.
I'm just trying to keep the material threshold (and monetary investment) lower for a beginning shooter.
If you understand basic wind and pick up a Kestrel, you have a gain.
If you never learnt basic wind and just take a number of a Kestrel, you have a handicap and a training error.

I suspect that when the reality of field shooting kicks in, many will find the simple methods to be "sufficient for effective range" until getting into position is mastered. Recognizing and getting TO a position where you can take the shot is THE prerequisite for a good shot. Why juggle gear? Your eyes should be on target, your head should be on the environment and you should be "present" enough to understand what is happening right now.
Totally agree on visual observation under 10 mph and on trying not to get too gear focused. As for the cultural anffinities, I’m a Mil guy because tenths are easier than quarters. But wind speeds in meters per second and metric barometric pressure just makes my brain hurt. I’ve started using the Quick Drop approach that Form recommends over the last year or two and like it a lot. His Form Fridays are part of the Shoot2Hunt podcast that is on their website, Apple Podcasts, YouTube and others. Here are a couple that are pertinent to quick drop and wind brackets.

As far as wind goes, I’m always working on improving my sub 10 mph wind calls. But like I said, a lot of what I deal with is beyond that am I just can’t make those calls by feel. I have to use a wind meter for the higher speeds, and I’m keeping a running tab on that with multiple checks per day and whenever I notice a wind change. I’m generally trying to record low and high speeds, but I’m trying to time shots to avoid gusts. If I have topographic situations where the wind changes between me and the target, I’m using vegetation movement to identify that more often than mirage. And it’s just a visual comparison. Does it appear to be more or less than what I’m seeing close to me compared to my wind meter results, and how does the direction change? The best case for that is where you are in a sheltered spot and are really dealing with one wind speed and direction for the majority of the shot or of you have two wind conditions that are opposite.

Honestly though, if I’ve got winds over 20 mph or significantly different wind speeds and directions in a single shot in a hunting situation, I am looking to get closer or get the wind behind or in front of me. I will recognize my limitations and avoid tempting the fates.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
I also had to start out by telling them you probably lived close to Anna and Elsa(Disney Princesses).
Gotta start them young!
I haven't seen Anna lately, but Elsa is still in the neighbourhood. She usually drops by for the season's greetings. Haven't seen her that much recent years though, she's a grown woman now and have to prioritize differently
Frost Elsa blurred.JPG