German LONGhaired pointer/Large Munsterlander

bdg848

WKR
Hello, I own two GSPs and was thinking of adding another bird dog in the next year or two as my oldest dog insists on getting older no matter how much I try to stop him lol. I was curious about German Longhaired pointers/Large munsterlanders. I am not able to find a lot of info online and was hoping maybe someone here would have some experience with them.

I heard they are excellent in the home and with kids and very mellow as if they had an "off switch". Is that true and how does this effect their drive, desire, pointing, etc ? I found one article that stated they were "softer" than a GSP and don't tolerate harsher corrections well. True? I am (usually) calm when correcting but my wife sure can let them have it when they screwed up but I don't know what is considered a "harsh" correction. My last question is, being a long haired dog, do they tolerate the cold better than a GSP? My almost two year old GSP will hunt in the cold without stopping but I don't know if thats just her self preservation being outmatched by her desire to hunt. Perhaps a long haired dog would fare better, I don't know. If you have knowledge of the GLP breed, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I'm no help here but I recommend checking out gundogforum.com those guys know their stuff and were super helpful when I was getting my wirehair

Buzby

WKR
Both are great breeds. I would highly suggest going the KLM route with if you want munsterlander. The JGHV testing system is second to none, and makes for consistent hunting dogs

https://klm-gna.org/

I’ve worked with a few of each and I wouldn’t say either are a soft breed. Out of the ones I’ve seen, I’d say the DLs were slightly softer in temperament. The Munsterlanders had a bit more drive. All had an off switch. Both should stand up to a bit colder temps than a GSP, but will require significantly more grooming.

Deutsch Drahthaars, now that’s a dog! 😜
Off switch, drive, cold weather, they’re hunting machines.

I've been around alot of drahts and munsterlanders both Klein and gross while I lived in Germany. My vote is drahts all the way.. both are great dogs but I love my drafts!

My wife thinks Drahts aren't "cute enough". I bet if dropped an 8 week old wirehair in her lap she would change her mind though lol.

My fiancé doesn’t think any bearded wire hair is cute. That was until we picked up a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon at beginning of January. Now she does photo shoots with him lol

I personally love DDs and the breeders I have met are on top of it. You know what you will get. It’s not a gamble at all and I would buy with confidence of getting a great hunting dog and family dog.

The WPG was a lot tougher as breeders vary so greatly. Size, coat, temperament, hunting abilities, health. It is tough to find a breeder that meets all those requirements.

Not sure how munsterlander breeding program is but you may have to wade through a lot of okay/good breeders to find a great one. I settled for a ‘good’ WPG breeding because that’s just what worked out best for me to get one with the health and temperament that I wanted during a time period that worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife thinks Drahts aren't "cute enough". I bet if dropped an 8 week old wirehair in her lap she would change her mind though lol.
Drahts are hideous creatures. But seriously, my wife said the same thing initially. I told her she learned to love my beard and she'd learn to love his too. When we went to pick him up she melted and I can barely pry him from her arms now to go train.

PvhER9m.jpg

Buzby

WKR
With all the recommendations for a draht; if you don’t know if you want one, you don’t want one. They’re not an occasional use hunting dog. They need to hunt. They’re the dog you want if you need a serious hunting partner.

Antares

WKR
I have a GSP and a DK. I'm also casually looking for a new dog as my female approaches 10.

Anyways, you might find more info by searching Deutsch Langhaar, if you haven't already tried that.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
With all the recommendations for a draht; if you don’t know if you want one, you don’t want one. They’re not an occasional use hunting dog. They need to hunt. They’re the dog you want if you need a serious hunting partner.
More so than a GSP? I have two of them and we have a blast. I suppose any breed is on the table and appreciate the Draht suggestions, they are a cool breed, but I have secretly always liked the long haired dog breeds (wife likes the shorthaired). I stumbled across DLs and thought they were an interesting breed but couldn't find much info.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
I have a GSP and a DK. I'm also casually looking for a new dog as my female approaches 10.

Anyways, you might find more info by searching Deutsch Langhaar, if you haven't already tried that.
My male is going on 10 also. I have searched Deutsch Langhaar and found some great articles on breed history but not much on temperament, drive, family life etc. Specifically, I'm comparing everything to my GSPs. What's your DK like compared to your GSP?

Antares

WKR
I don't know, they're their own dogs, it's hard to compare them and know what's the breed and what's the dog. She's a 10 yo black roan female GSP, he's a 5 yo liver ticked male DK. They're both rescues. Same height at withers, both about 62 pounds. She's intense, very biddable, a natural pointer, but doesn't have a ton of personality. He's goofy, friendlier, tons of prey drive, but less biddable and not much of a natural pointer.

I like the way he looks, good head with deep muzzle, good bottom line (pic of him below). I like his voice, deep hound-like bay. He's beautiful to watch, very smooth, fluid gate. She's got a sharper voice, shorter neck, smaller ears, smaller muzzle, choppier gate, but she has more fire than him, she's unstoppable.

He get's on with everyone. She doesn't like puppies, certain older females, and isn't wild about small children.

If I had to choose one, I'd take her. If I was looking for a puppy (which I am), I'd look a DK breeders. So I guess that's not real helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_6698.JPG
    IMG_6698.JPG
    348.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

WKR
Funny story about my griffon. He has been a breed ambassador I always say all over Colorado. Ski resorts, mountain towns, malls, everywhere never met a dog, kid, adult he didn't like. Would love and be loved on by all around him. Always had the "spin" move when playing with other dogs that made everyone laugh.

At age 10 he was on a walk on leash with my wife. One of our neighbors had left their gate open by accident and as they walked by their 100 pound male german sheperd came burning out of the yard and was headed right at my wife barking and growling. Ozzie decided he wasn't having any of that and immediately went into a rage while on leash as the sheperd approached. Made a good enough impression on the sheperd that it backed off at a distance and my wife was able to walk away.

Lot of dogs would do the same to protect their owners but I think GSP, DK, DD, Griff all have some of the same traits. Ozzie is almost 14 now and despite giving up a bit to the drahts in the field, he'll always be a family favorite.

Another for DD. Hunt happily all day regardless of conditions and will lay on the couch when not hunting. Just make sure to get them exercise when not hunting or they can get a little "curious".

Buzby

WKR
More so than a GSP? I have two of them and we have a blast. I suppose any breed is on the table and appreciate the Draht suggestions, they are a cool breed, but I have secretly always liked the long haired dog breeds (wife likes the shorthaired). I stumbled across DLs and thought they were an interesting breed but couldn't find much info.
I do love GSPs. I regularly hunt with several. I feel like a GSP loves to hunt, where a DD has to hunt. It’s hard to explain the difference, but it’s there when you hunt with them.

They’re also more sharp on fur. There’s not a coon or yote safe in the field. Or cat in the neighborhood. A buddy of mine brought his Draht out to his girlfriends farm. He warned them, but they said “they’re farm cats, they’ll be fine.” That dog killed 3 or 4 of those cats within a few minutes.

If the long hair/grooming thing is gtg by you, I think the KLMs sounds like a good match for you. Look up the parent club, see if someone has one near you.