Generator

We have several different brands. 7 Pretty much all good. Bad gas kills all brands. And bad gas is usually the biggest problem. Latest one was a duel fuel champion. Has great reviews, I have not had issues. Duel fuel option is nice. Having 2 fuel sources has obvious advantages. Propane running cleaner but more expensive. We bought a generator that we can double up power with. We have a 2500w, can set another next to it and with a short adaptor cord can double to 5000w if needed. And I can get 3 champion for the price of a Honda.

If you're planning on powering your house during an outtage, including fridge, AC etc... you're going to need more watts than many guys are suggesting. Agree with the need for an interlock panel in your house though to prevent backfeeding the line.

Honda EU 2000, zero problems after approx 8 years. Like others have said, the HF Predators look promising .............

I have a Generac 7500e that i backfeed into my house when needed. Peak wattage is 9375. Thats just barely enough to run the bigger things like central air if everything else is off. It is plenty to run well pump, lights and freezers though.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and get a Honda. You will never look back ! I bought a big Champion gen several years ago because of the price and it sounded like a stock car running in the yard. Couldn’t get rid of that noise maker fast enough and bought a Honda. Happy Happy !

I realize this thread is old but since it got bumped may as well chime in. We're hard on generators, normal camping stuff but we've got a fish camp cabin on the coast and pretty much requires A/C 9 months of the year. One year I put close to 2000 hours on one, and the salt environment and humidity is harsh. I'm killing Firmans so fast they just quit warranting them. I tend to buy a new generator every year until I got the Westinghouse. This thing is giving us 14-15 hours on a 3 gallon tank running the entire cabin with A/C and outdoor lighting, mini fridge, everything. It has a meter telling you how much run time you've got left and current output wattage which I scoffed at but find myself peeping at all the time and not bothering to fill it up whereas previous generators I'm always filling them up to be sure they don't cut out. Very good buy. I've owned Champion, Firman, Honda, some off brand stuff, and Generac. Unless something drastic changes I'll run right out and buy this same generator when the time comes. I do still have a Champion pull start banger as a backup, can't kill it but it's loud. None of these smallish ones will run your house a/c or heat but they'll probably run just about everything else.

I have two Honda eu2000’s. Used them camping and around the house. Recently bought two predator 3500’s. The predators have twice the amp’s as the Honda’s, larger gas tanks and electric start. I prefer the predators, and they 700.00.
They are great generators. I love mine. On the job, we end up using it way more than our other generators. And, it’s stupid quiet.

There are some great formula's for amp-watts conversion. I run a 12kw back up at my cabin, runs everything but electric stove and hot water tank. 60 amp draw from a stove or 30 amp from a hot water tank will kill little gens. Also run my house with a 10kw diesel from welder.. Just look at the plugs, most are 30 amps. if your going to run a house your going to need more than that.

There are some great formula's for amp-watts conversion. I run a 12kw back up at my cabin, runs everything but electric stove and hot water tank. 60 amp draw from a stove or 30 amp from a hot water tank will kill little gens. Also run my house with a 10kw diesel from welder.. Just look at the plugs, most are 30 amps. if your going to run a house your going to need more than that.
There's one formula...

And it is? Based on Generator and load plus percentage of amp drop? per house?

I didn’t read any of the replies sorry if it’s been covered. I would look at Honda paralleling units to cover those scenarios only because I personally wouldn’t want to tote a huge generator camping. The main
problem would be running 220v items at your house, probably not going to be good for A/C’s, ovens etc.
You can run lights, fridge, freezer even central heat if it’s gas.

2 Honda 2200i. You can link them together for higher output, but they are still movable for traveling.

Plus Honda makes outstanding small engines. Perhaps even the best.

Here's the best way to size a gen for the load. for all other motor and non motor loads multiply the current by the voltage for watts. calculate total watts used by the largest motor and remaining motor and non motor loads. mutiply by 1000 for KW and and 25% for reserve then size gen accordingly.

Last edited:
Here's the best way to size a gen for the load. for all other motor and non motor loads multiply the current by the voltage for watts. calculate total watts used by the largest motor and remaining motor and non motor loads. mutiply by 100 fro KW and and 25% for reserve then size gen accordingly.
Your lack of grammar lead me to initially believe your response was something I’d find on a Cracker Jack box. However, about the 4th sentence in, I realized you sure sound like you know what’s going on.

However, that’s Einstein shit communicated like a 10th grader. No offense. I just thought it was funny.

To convert to kW from Watts you divide by 1000, not multiply by 100 as noted above.

Edited to correct my error per Mighty Mouse....too early when I posted I guess.!

Last edited:
honda with propane option installed.

Alot easier to store propane
Like CV said, the Honda's running from propane are great. No need to lug around an extra fuel if you already have propane nearby. Easy to swap from one tank to another or get one of those auto tank transfers. No need to winterize, run stabil or clean the carbs, etc... Change the oil once in a while and run it.

To convert to kW from Watts you divide by 1000, not multiply by 100 as noted above.

Edited to correct my error per Mighty Mouse....too early when I posted I guess.!
My bad typed it wrong, thanks for the correction.

Back