General elk draw

bbde17

FNG
I know, I know. Another non resident elk draw question. I’m certain folks are sick of beating this dead horse but I’ll give it one more kick. 2025 elk draw. I’m new to elk and the elk draw system. Luckily I picked the most confusing draw to attempt to be apart of. A friend of mine has been once and wants me to go with him fall of 2025. Under his guidance I purchased a preference point a couple weeks back. After doing endless amounts of reading I’m more confused than ever.
I now believe that with that preference point I will not be able to purchase a second preference point at the time of registering for the draw, leaving me with 1 point and a 0% chance at a tag.
First question would be am I correct in my assumption written above about not being able to purchase a second PP at draw?
My second question ( if my assumption is correct) am I obligated to use the PP I currently hold for the 2025 draw ?

My thought process has switched to possibly burning that first point I already purchased and going into the draw with zero ( if I don’t have to use it) and at least having an above zero chance of drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

np307

Lil-Rokslider
What state are you talking about? If you're talking about WY then you're going to have the same odds in the random portion no matter if you have 1 or 0 points. And neither 1 nor 0 points will be enough to pull a general tag.

You can only purchase 1 point per year and you can't buy and use a point in the same year. And the draw for 2024 is over already, how do you think you would burn a point before next year?

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
You are correct, you will not be able to buy a point the year you apply. And you can just keep buying points, if you apply and don't draw you keep your points. I think a guarantee at a general tag now is around 5 points

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
You missed the draw for 2024 and purchased one point after the fact. So you have one point now and can buy another at the time of purchase for the 2025 season giving you 2 points. Just make sure you buy that extra point if you want a chance. Because you won’t draw with one.

hoosierhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
For Montana you can buy another preference point in spring 2025 and go into the draw with 2 points. Agreed that it can get confusing.

OP
B

bbde17

FNG
You missed the draw for 2024 and purchased one point after the fact. So you have one point now and can buy another at the time of purchase for the 2025 season giving you 2 points. Just make sure you buy that extra point if you want a chance. Because you won’t draw with one.

thanks for the info. I keep getting the opposite information saying i wont be able to purchase the 2nd point and some say i can.