Gear List Critique

Hey guys, I am planning on trying to do my first backpacking hunt next hunting season and have just started working towards getting ready. I had looked into this once before but at the time didn't have the means to afford it. Now I can gear myself up a little better.

I just finished up with my rough proposed list of gear and would like a little critique from guys with a little more experience. I have done a lot of reading and don't think I am grossly overlooked anything or including a bunch of unnecessary crap. Please offer any suggestions on something I may have left out or something that really isn't needed.

The plan is an Elk hunt and I am pretty sure right now that I will be going to Wyoming. Still looking into all the rules and regs to decide on this.

Anyway here's the list.
ITEM WEIGHT

PACK
KIFARU HUNTING PLATFORM FRAME 53 OZ
KIFARU RECKONING BAG 45 OZ
KIFARU BELT POUCH 2.5 OZ
KIFARU LARGE PACK COVER 5.6 OZ
KIDARU DRY BAG 6.2 OZ
KIFARU GUN CRADLE 4.2 OZ

SHELTER
SEEK OUTSIDE CIMARRON STOVE BUNDLE 98 OZ
MSR GROUND HOG STAKE X10 5 OZ

SLEEP
BIG AGNES LOST RANGER 15 44 OZ
BIG ANGES SUPERLIGHT Q CORE SLEEPING PAD 17 OZ

COOKING
JET BOIL 15.25 OZ
SEA TO SUMMIT LONG SPORK .4 OZ
FUEL CANISTER 3.5 OZ
LIGHTER X2 WITH TAPE

WATER
PLATYPUS GRAVITYWORKS 2L 9.5 OZ
IODINE TABLETS 6 OZ
NALGENE BOTTLE 6 OZ

LIGHT
HL23 OR HL50 X2 1.8OZ
BLACK DIAMOND LANTERN??? 3 OZ

NAVIGATION
GARMIN 64S GPS 9.2 OZ
LAMINATED MAP

CLOTHING
LOWA TIBET GTX 64 OZ
FIRST LITE KILN HOODY 15 OZ
FIRST LITE HALSTEAD TECH FLEECE 13 OZ?????
FIRST LITE UNCOMPAHGRE PUFFY 17 OZ
FIRST LITE KILN BOOT TOP BOTTOM 8 OZ
FIRST LITE OBISIANT MERINO PANT 22 OZ
FIRST LITE BOUNDARY STORMTIGHT RAIN PANT 19 OZ
FIRST LITE STORMTIGHT RAIN JACKET 23 OZ
FIRST LITE NECK GATOR 1.8 OZ
FIRST LITE BOXERS 3.8
DARN TOUGH OVER THE CALF SOCK X2 PAIR
FIRST LITE GLOVE LINER .9 OZ
FIRST GLOVE GLOVE (WHICH ONE???) 2.2-4.5 OZ
FIRST LITE GAITER 12 OZ

FOOD

FIRST AID/HYGIENE
BANDAIDS
GAUZE
MEDICINE(IBUPROFEN, TUMS, DIARRHEA, ALLERGY)
ALCHOHOL WIPES
MOLESKIN
CHAP STICK
TOOTHBRUSH
TRAVEL TOOTHPASTE
FLOSSER
BABY WIPES
HAND SANITIZER

MEAT CARE
TAG B.O.M.B. BAG PACK(OR BONE IN? MORE WEIGHT) 10 OZ
50 FT PARACORD 3.6 OZ
BENCHMADE WITH GUTHOOK 4.5 OZ
BENCHMADE MINI SHARPENER

RIFLE/GLASS
RIFLE ~160 OZ
VORTEX FURY 31.8 OZ
KESTREL 3.6 OZ
MOCCASIN JOES SMOKE IN A BOTTLE 1.5 OZ
BEAR SPRAY???? 8 OZ
RRS TRIPOD 80 OZ

MISC
THERMAREST Z SEAT PAD 2 OZ
CALL???
AA LITHIUM X4 2 OZ
BLACK DIAMOND TRAIL BACK TREKKING POLES 20 OZ
LEATHERMAN SURGE????? 12.5 OZ
GOAL ZERO SOLAR PANEL AND BATTERY PACK ?

Ground sheet (tyvek or similar)

Firestarting supplies

Add to kill kit:
Flagging ribbon
Plastic sheet/contractor bags
Latex Gloves (I like em)

Go with the battery pack

Smartphone with OnX in lieu of GPS
InReach or similar, especially if solo

What tripod? Unless you already own it, there are great tripods that are a fraction of the RRS carbon tripods

Mount for binos on tripod

Netherman

WKR
Your list looks pretty good. The biggest thing I learned is that there are places to cut weight and places I don't want to. If it were me I would get a steripen instead of the iodine tablets (wouldn't look at filters for a rifle hunt) and when you are working out your food make sure it is stuff you'll want to eat. Two mountain houses a day will look really light but won't be tolerable by day 3. I plan for one hot meal a day for dinner and then do salami/cheese/tortilla rolls or packaged chicken/tuna pitas for lunch. Also if you aren't going this year or committed to all firstlite gear I'd keep an eye on camofire.

As far as the rest of your list. I'd replace the moleskin with leukotape, dump the hand sanitizer and get some wipes for all my cleaning needs, I always have a diaphragm or open reed call on me (can stop a walking animal or sound like a coyote to get them moving), I never use my multi tool and leave it off my list until I'm actually packing lol. I would look at your power needs before packing a battery pack. I ended up with a black diamond lantern that has an internal battery, accepts AAs, and has a power out port for changing other devices. I think it's ~9oz but it's damn convenient.

Ruskin

WKR
A couple of suggestions:
- get additional Kifaru pouches ( i usually have one on each side of my belt (M or S) and a Large on the top flap of the Reckoning). These are good for easy access to small stuff (gloves, beanie, headlamp, etc)
- consider the petzl e-light instead of the lantern (it will double as a headlamp back-up and is super light)
- drop the moleskin and instead use KT tape (i suggest pre-applying known trouble spots such as heel or toes before you start hiking...the tape will stay on for days)
- get biodegradable wipes and use instead of paper TP. also use daily instead of a shower.

Good luck!

OP
H
Thanks for all the replies so far. To address a few of the comments:

I do have an RRS already that I use frequently and it has a bino attachment(didnt think to put it on the list. It just goes everywhere). Otherwise yes I'd probably go cheaper haha. I was lucky enough to get it with a 50% off cert from a rifle match.

The Goal Zero battery pack holds 4 double A batteries that it charges. I guess I should have combined the 4AA into that. All devices I have listed would take AA.

I totally forgot about flagging tape. Thanks for reminding me!

To the couple comments on water. What is the reasoning on the comment about not considering a filter on a rifle hunt?
I had chosen iodine tabs over steripen as a backup only because it's not mechanical so it doesnt have a chance to break. Does that make sense or am I overthinking it?

Moleskin comments. Noted!

Lantern I will probably leave out. It's just something I had already and thought it would nice at camp.

Extra bag comments also noted.

Appreciate all the helpful feedback. Was not expecting such a fast response!

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re solo, skip the lantern. It’s nice for a group so you aren’t headlamping each other in the face, but still a luxury item.

Don’t forget a trowel to bury your turds and TP or biodegradable wipes.

Not familiar with all the battery-using devices you have listed and I’m not going to look them all up, but sounds like you have the right idea. They should all use the same batts. I’m working on transitioning everything to USB charging from battery banks.

I’m yet to go on a trip long enough that a solar panel has done me any real good, but I live where the weather sucks and the sun stays low in the sky. I have 10k and 6k mAh packs and one or both of them have always been plenty of juice in the field.

Use your cell phone as a GPS (Gaia app) and leave the dedicated unit home.

Get an Inreach, Bluetooth pair it to your smartphone. Now your phone is a satellite messenger too. Garmin has a new mini model that looks perfect for this.

When I hunt with a partner, I add gunshot wound trauma care items to my first aid kit. Compression bandage and tourniquet. Solo trips I leave them out. I also bring a SAM splint on backcountry trips. Great for immobilizing injuries, and I’m sure you could macguyver the crap out of it if you needed to repair a pack stay, tent pole, etc...

I’m a fan of the gravity filters, and I use chemical drops instead of tabs as backup. The tablets take too long to dissolve in cold water. May not be an issue where you live. Steripens are great if you have access to clean water, but sometimes nothing beats a filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
I am planning my elk hunt as well. I wont try to analyze every item in your bag, because Im still trying to figure that part out myself. What I will comment on is this....Game bags. I have two options, and it sounds like your are contemplating the same thing I am. I have the set of Bomb Bags, which are for boned out quarters, and is a lighter set. I have the quarter bag set, which is heavier, but will hold bone in quarters. At first I figured pack the bomb bags, they are lighter. But last night I got to thinking about this.....and I may switch to a mixed kit option. I think im going to pack 4 of the bone in quarter bags, and two of the Bomb Bags. Here is my thinking on this, and it may or may not be applicable to ya. I will be in a group of 4 guys and we are packing in about 3 miles into an area to set up for a week. If I shoot something, its more likely that I would want to get the animal quartered and hung up, then go back to camp for help and we begin the pack out. I may even take the time to bone out a quarter and bring it back to camp. If I only brought the Bomb bag set up, then I have to take the time to bone out all 4 quarters and get them into the bags. If its hot, my thought is that is more time for meat to get flies on it while im carving away. So..I have talked myself into more weight I think, and will be bringing the 4 quarter bags, and two of the Bomb Bags up the mountain. The remaining bags will be down at the truck.

IM probably over analyzing this like I do everything else in my gear list....LOL. but that's my thoughts on the game bags at the moment. Good luck on your hunt.

Don't get iodine tablets. They make your water taste bad. Get chlorine dioxide tablets. (katadyn micropur or others like them) Kills the bad stuff, but doesn't make your water taste nasty. I carry chlorine dioxide tablets as my primary water purification method and an ultralight filter (MSR Trailshot or Sawyer) as a backup for really dirty water.

I know that some folks like to have a stove in the tent. I've spent hundreds of nights in the backcountry in every season and condition, and have never used a stove. My shelter of choice is a lightweight pyramid tent that weighs less than a pound. This option would save you significant weight and bulk.

Jetboil stoves are not very good in the wind. MSR Reactor or Windburner are better choices in windy environments.

As others have said regarding navigation, ditch the GPS, use your phone along with a navigation app (I like Backcountry Navigator) I would also add a lightweight compass. (Makes the map more useful.) Garmin InReach could save your life and also provide peace of mind and satellite communication with your loved ones back home. The new model is really small.

Regarding first aid/hygiene:
Compeed blister pads are better than moleskin.
A very small (1 ounce) travel bottle of hand sanitizer is all you need. (It's also good for emergency fire starting.)

Mentioned by someone else, latex gloves are good for breaking down the animal, and they weigh very little.

Rifle/optics
That's a really heavy tripod, especially if you are not using a big spotting scope. Sirui T-025x is less than half the weight. If you're just using it to steady your binos, you could get away with something even lighter, such as the Granite Peak (or just use one of your trekking poles as a monopod.)

Sun glasses and a brimmed hat are always on my list, regardless of season.

I have and like First Lite clothing, but I love the Kuiu long john bottoms with the side zippers. Makes them easy to take on and off without removing your boots.

OP
H
Don't get iodine tablets. They make your water taste bad. Get chlorine dioxide tablets. (katadyn micropur or others like them) Kills the bad stuff, but doesn't make your water taste nasty. I carry chlorine dioxide tablets as my primary water purification method and an ultralight filter (MSR Trailshot or Sawyer) as a backup for really dirty water.

I know that some folks like to have a stove in the tent. I've spent hundreds of nights in the backcountry in every season and condition, and have never used a stove. My shelter of choice is a lightweight pyramid tent that weighs less than a pound. This option would save you significant weight and bulk.

Jetboil stoves are not very good in the wind. MSR Reactor or Windburner are better choices in windy environments.

As others have said regarding navigation, ditch the GPS, use your phone along with a navigation app (I like Backcountry Navigator) I would also add a lightweight compass. (Makes the map more useful.) Garmin InReach could save your life and also provide peace of mind and satellite communication with your loved ones back home. The new model is really small.

Regarding first aid/hygiene:
Compeed blister pads are better than moleskin.
A very small (1 ounce) travel bottle of hand sanitizer is all you need. (It's also good for emergency fire starting.)

Mentioned by someone else, latex gloves are good for breaking down the animal, and they weigh very little.

Rifle/optics
That's a really heavy tripod, especially if you are not using a big spotting scope. Sirui T-025x is less than half the weight. If you're just using it to steady your binos, you could get away with something even lighter, such as the Granite Peak (or just use one of your trekking poles as a monopod.)

Sun glasses and a brimmed hat are always on my list, regardless of season.

I have and like First Lite clothing, but I love the Kuiu long john bottoms with the side zippers. Makes them easy to take on and off without removing your boots.

In regards to GPS, this really surprises me as I wouldn't think the phones would have very good battery life?

I do realize the tripod is heavy but all my rifles mount straight to my tripod, I use it for all my hunting and it is rock solid, no mater the position or distance. It is one of those pieces of gear I will suck up and deal with because of how well it works.

That is exactly what I planned as far as hand sanitizer and had the fire starting in mind.

I will have to check out those Kuiu bottoms. That sounds super convenient!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The kuiu bottoms are very convenient. You might consider sizing up though. I don’t have big legs or chicken legs but went with a large to make it easier to start the zipper around my calf. Peloton 200 is my favorite after trying the merino 145 and peloton 130. The 200 gives warmth not just a wicking layer.

For the baby wipes get the unscented and try them at home first. I accidentally got some “fresh scent” ones that caused skin irritations.

Using your phone for gps isn’t horrible on the battery. Like someone else said it can also be paired to a satellite com. device for easy texting so it’s multitasking.

Sounds like your tripod is a tried & true piece of gear, just bring it.

Ruskin

WKR
In regards to GPS, this really surprises me as I wouldn't think the phones would have very good battery life?

the battery life of a phone is greated increased once you put it in airplane mode. On an iphone you can also turn on the low batter extender right away and those two things combined will make the phone last much longer. I use my phone as my gps and tether it to my inreach. I use my phone constantly for navigation (yes it's a crutch), but on a day's use (from 5AM to 8PM) i am only down to 60%. Turning off blue tooth or less usage would extend it more.

The kuiu bottoms are very convenient. You might consider sizing up though. I don’t have big legs or chicken legs but went with a large to make it easier to start the zipper around my calf. Peloton 200 is my favorite after trying the merino 145 and peloton 130. The 200 gives warmth not just a wicking layer.

My experience exactly. Go up a size with the bottoms. I also prefer the Peloton 200s.