GEAR LIST: Bowhunting Colorado's Wilderness Areas.... help me out

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Gents,

Last year was my first time in 10 years hunting. I had not shot a bow since middle school, but after moving to Colorado in 2013, I spent a year trying to re-learn a bow, and figuring out how to crawl around the mountains without falling off. Needless to say, in 2014 I managed 8 straight weekends in the woods and hunted 3 different Wilderness areas. I did not get anything, but I did have the time of my life, lost almost 20 lbs, and learned a lot about something I never realized I would love so much: DIY Backcountry Bowhunting.

MY QUESTION FOR ANYONE WILLING TO READ THIS
Is there anything I am missing from this list of gear? I literally have posted everything I have bought and just want to make sure there is nothing I am forgetting. All in, with food, the entire packed weighed just under 40lbs per hunt. I move camp each day to maximize time so I don't really have a "base camp." I just want to make sure there isn't some crucial item on this list that I am forgetting. I didn't have any major mishaps last year, and I try to eliminate all items that I am most likely not going to use.

PACK #1
Mystery Ranch Longbow Pack - Foliage color
Mystery Ranch Rip Zip Pocket 2X
Mystery Ranch sling pocket
Mystery Ranch flat pocket for storage
Mystery Ranch Hip Pockets 2X
Mystery Ranch Water Bottle pocket

SCOUTING PACK - lightweight pack #2
Mystery Ranch ASAP Pack
Mystery Ranch Water Bottle Pocket
Mystery Ranch Sling Pocket
Petzl Carbiners (2)

SLEEP SYSTEM
Hilleberg Soulo Tent
Sea to Summit Inflatable Pillow
ENO Sub7 Hammock (for lounging around camp/midday rest)
ENO support straps
Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite
Western Mountaineering Caribou 35 bag

BOW
Mathews Creed Tactical Bow
Mathews Quiver T-5 Quiver
G5 Stryker Broadheads
Spot Hott Hogg-It sight
Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper Release w/leather
Allen Broadhead Box
Mathews QAD Arrow Rest
Limbsaver AWS Modular Stabilizer
Easton Full Metal Jacket Arrows 300 grain

MISCELLANEOUS
Knives of Alaska Bear Cub Knife
Primos Diaphragm Calls
Primos Super Pack Bugle
Primos Wind checker
Primos Flagging Plastic Tape
MSR Reactor Stove 1.0L
Sawyer Water Filter with bag
MSR scraper/brush
MSR Fuel
Sea to Summit Compression Sacks for tent and sleeping bag
Paracord 25ft
Vapur Collapsable Water Bottle
Black Diamond Trekking Poles
Leukotape (blister prevention)
REI Small Packable Towel
Firepaste
2 Bic Lighters
Emergency Fire Starter
Kifaru Meat Bags (just bought these)
Toiletres (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, chapstick, sunscreen, eyedrops, first aid stuff,
Carbo Mask Face Paint - 3 colors
Hunt Explore Map

OPTICS / ELECTRONICS
FHF Gear Bino Harness - Foliage
Vortex Viper HD 10x42
Leupold Rangefinder ( I just use the one I have for golf)
Garmin Oregon 550t
Vortex High Country Tripod
Vortex Adaptor for Bino's

CLOTHING / BOOTS
KUIU Chugach Rain Jacket (all kuiu is VIAS)
KUIU Chugach Rain Pants
KUIU Attack Pants
KUIU Super Down Vest
KUIU 1/2 zip merino
IBEX Woolies Baselayers
Icebreaker 200 Baselayers
Scarpa Grand Dru GTX Boots (pre-ordered)
Superfeet Carbon Insoles for Boots
Darn Tough Light Hiker Socks

OTHER ITEMS
Brute Outdoors Bison 25 Cooler
Brute Outdoors Bison 75 Cooler

ITEMS I AM CONSIDERING - Anyone used this stuff?
Trail Camera - been thinking about getting one! please advise if there is one you like.
Sagen Saw 2 - i heard these are great for cleaning an elk/muley

THANKS GUYS

AZ Vince

WKR
I hope you're not packing all that every trip.
That seems like more gear than I use at basecamp. 1 spare pair of socks, no deodorant, one lighter, one waterproof container of matches, baking soda for toothpaste in a ziplock baggie, half handled toothbrush, one pair of pants, one long sleeve shirt, cold weather clothing, jacket and vest, with base layer worn. I didn't see a stocking cap or beanie. I won't leave home without one. I skip the tent too. If I need a rain shelter I use an emergency blanket and paracord to string one up.

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
No, you are correct - I don't take all of this with me. The Longbow pack is only 2400 CI, so I couldn't pack all this stuff. The bow and my lightweight tripod are the only thing strapped to the outside of the pack. Everything else fits inside. I have to use a tent because at 12,000 feet I had snow the last weekend of August last year. The tent is very warm and allows me to take a much lighter weight bag. All the clothes listed I wear, on my body. I don't take any extra pairs of clothing. Just an extra pair of underwear and socks. the rain gear stays in the pack, or I only take the jacket.

It does seem like a lot of gear, but I think when you list out every single thing in your pack that you have bought for hunting, the list looks heavier and more cumbersome than it is.

AZ Vince

WKR
Dustin,

You're right.
When I make a list it does seem like a lot more than what I take every trip. I prefer no tent but an not averse to stringing up a tarp but that's just me. I guess it would depend on how much weight savings I would get versus the lighter bag.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
Why the tent and hammock? I would just pick one. Also hope you are only taking one set of merino unless you are in for 2 weeks at a time.

How much time do you spend with the binos on the tripod in Colorado? The areas that I have hunted there I always felt fine with hand held while sitting.

This list needs a lot of trimming. I'm just going to list the stuff I think you should consider cutting.

Scouting Pack(and everything in it)

ENO hammock and straps

Bear Cub Knife (get a Havalon)

Fire paste and Fire Starter (TRIOXANE---little chemical bar---works amazing)

Sunscreen and eye drops

Face paint (use dirt if you think it helps)

KUIU rain pants. I rarely find a need for rain pants early season. You'll dry fast.

Multiple base layers?

Do not bring a trail camera.

Do not buy a saw.

Weekender

WKR
Best thing to do is dump the stuff you didn't use last year and try not adding anything. If you like your luxury items and found you used them then bring them. It's your hunt so everyone has there thing so enjoy it. I started with 68lbs pack this year I will be 37lbs. So I will bring up a 6pack of beer as my luxury item.

Beendare

WKR
Plenty of gear lists on this site....with that much time in the woods you should intuitively know what to thin out.

my advice; don't just walk trails. Start a couple hours before light and hunt right up until dark. Spend your time looking for the pockets the elk escape into......don't waste time in areas with little or old sign. Instead of 3 different wildernesses...concentrate on one.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't see a knife sharpener or baby wipes on your list. If you only bring one knife, you'll want a sharpener or a Havalon. Don't forget your compass and maps. Water filter? Do NOT drink creek water in CO without treating or filtering. Did I miss headlamp?

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Guys - thanks for all the help! I don't take all of this with me into the woods - this was just a list of alllllll the gear I had bought last year, that gets used in a variety of combinations.

I am a poor sleeper in the woods as it is and prefer the tent. My concern is that if I went to a tarp, I would just end up losing the weight having to buy a warmer sleeping bag.

I also found that the best way to shed weight from my hiking weight was to shed weight on my body instead of my pack. I started the scouting season last year at about 195 lbs with quite a bit of extra fat. I ended at 175 and was much more able in general to carry the same amount of gear. It seems really easy to get bogged down in the ounce-shaving gear routine, but in all reality the most impactful way to haul less is to make your body weight less. thoughts?

Guys - thanks for all the help! I don't take all of this with me into the woods - this was just a list of alllllll the gear I had bought last year, that gets used in a variety of combinations.

I am a poor sleeper in the woods as it is and prefer the tent. My concern is that if I went to a tarp, I would just end up losing the weight having to buy a warmer sleeping bag.

I also found that the best way to shed weight from my hiking weight was to shed weight on my body instead of my pack. I started the scouting season last year at about 195 lbs with quite a bit of extra fat. I ended at 175 and was much more able in general to carry the same amount of gear. It seems really easy to get bogged down in the ounce-shaving gear routine, but in all reality the most impactful way to haul less is to make your body weight less. thoughts?

Truthfully the best is a combination of both.

Cut weight off your pack and body.

After you do it for a while you will know the things you need and don't. Personal preference dictates quite a bit of the gear people bring with them. I bring very few comfort items and just the necessities.

Mike7

WKR
Unless I missed it n the list, a couple of things which are requirements for me would be some light weight gaiters like OR Flex-tex and TAG bags.

rpeebles

FNG
I'll second what someone else said.......It's your hunt, enjoy it!

For me, I would shed the hammock and your knifes. I use a Havalon knife, which is around 3 oz. I also like a tent and a good sleeping pad. I'll deal with a little extra weight to get a good nights sleep. Until last year, I never used a tripod with my binoculars. WOW, was I missing out. The tripod made such a difference. I was able to see better, with less fatigue.

You asked about game cameras. I don't have any experience with them, but was just listening to a podcast yesterday where those were briefly discussed. If you're into that sort of thing, listen to the Jay Scott Outdoors Western Hunting & Fishing podcast, episode 12. Jay talks with a few elk/mule deer guides and at some point they go over the gear they use and talk about game cameras.

rayporter

WKR
yep, i caught the meat bags. laff. but you might need more 550 cord to butcher one on a hillside. and i would wrap some duct tape on a lighter. i carry electrical tape to cover the muzzle of the rifle too-- er-- a- bow in your case.

that saw? i would bet if you ever use it you wont carry it again. a saw can be real useful and i do recommend one. i use a sven but others are certainly as good or better. if you have to bring out the horns for proof of points you must bring skull of skull cap.

i figure you have your camp about sorted out by now.

A few things missing that I always carry:

two bandana's. One could replace the camp towel. The other has a million uses.
Head lamp or some other light source. This is one of the ten essentials.
A wool beenie, again one of the ten essentials.
A camera
A journal and pencil. (optional but I like writing before bed when solo).

I wouldn't lose the sunscreen or the face paint and I'd also add sunglasses and a baseball or some sort of other rimmed hat. I consider all of these as one of the ten essentials. I don't deal with sun very well. I don't tan and if you find yourself in bright sun on snow the sunglasses and hat/bandana are a must. If in hunting mode I just use the black face paint like I would while playing baseball. (I personally consider heat related illnesses to be on of my most at risk scenario's while in the back country. I know each person differs).

I'd second the gaiters but that's also optional as I hunt in Wa. where the valleys are wet even in nice weather.

Light weight gloves. I love the lightest weight First Lite gloves. These are for camo while stalking and weigh nothing.

And I assume the mountain money, ie tp, is in the toiletries kit :).

As for the game cams. I bought three of the Bushnell trophy cams last year. I wouldn't carry them during hunting season but found that placing them in the field during the summer got me out scouting a whole lot more than I usually would so it was a benefit that way. And they are fun!

Plenty of gear lists on this site....with that much time in the woods you should intuitively know what to thin out.

my advice; don't just walk trails. Start a couple hours before light and hunt right up until dark. Spend your time looking for the pockets the elk escape into......don't waste time in areas with little or old sign. Instead of 3 different wildernesses...concentrate on one.

Good advice right there.