Dog wont eat dry food well

Dry kibble is garbage. Not real food. I don't blame dogs for not wanting to eat it. My dog gets lots of eggs and real meat with a tiny bit of dry dog food mixed in.

Quoted for truth

If you're stuck on dry dog food, cut the serving amount in 1/2 and crack 2 raw eggs and 1 scoop of coconut oil into the dry food and mix it up with a spoon

KurtR

WKR
I always love the dry food is garbage crew. They maybe have a couple dogs to qualify that statement. I have yet to be shown a dog that does field work at the highest levels in any way that isn’t on kibble.

ben h

WKR
I had a chocolate lab named Gabe who didn't really like eating his food (unlike all my other dogs) and I'd melt a little butter and mix it in with his food, while singing "put on the butter, put on my food, Benny's little Gabby loves buttered-dog food". This method, while not scientific, worked pretty good.

OP
MuleyFever
Have you checked his mouth for sores, broken or loose teeth, etc?
I dont see anything. I also gave him a new bone to see if he would chew and he is aggressively chewing the new bone so I dont think its tooth related.

I dont see anything. I also gave him a new bone to see if he would chew and he is aggressively chewing the new bone so I dont think its tooth related.
Had Wiem for 12 yrs they are smart and hard headded...he is training you...put his food down and don't give him any treats....after a day or so he wil eat it. At most pour a little water on it if you have to.

OP
MuleyFever
Is he losing weight? If not I wouldn't worry too much, he'll eat when he wants. If he's losing weight and won't eat you may want to get some labs drawn and see if something's off from the blood work. My almost 12 year old Lab is apparently diabetic and pretty severely so. She pretty much quit eating for several weeks so I ended up switching her to a raw food diet and she gained 7 lbs. Took her to the vet for some other things and she popped crazy high on their sugars test as well as what their equivalent to A1C is can't remember what it's called. Vet said the kibble was probably making her feel sick because of the diabetes so she didn't want to eat it. I had coincidentally already switched to the raw food recently so vet wants to do another round of labs to see if anything changes. We were also giving her tons of snacks all the time so stopped that.
He hasnt lost much weight. Like I mentioned there are things he will eat but I need to get him back to a routine of a proper dry food. If he doesnt get back to somewhat normal soon I will take him in for blood work. My last dog that I mentioned that stopped eating ended up having diabetes. That was a rough journey.

KenLee

WKR
My previous dog went through something similar. Switching foods or flavors was recommended but did not work. We then had a vet recommend a probiotic (Proviable-DC) and after a week or two she started eating again and we never had another issue until she passed. It is an ‘add on’ but far cheaper than buying bags of food that go to waste.
It does help with sickly dogs.

Attachments

• 20241020_214612.jpg
    20241020_214612.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0