GEAR LIST: Bowhunting Colorado's Wilderness Areas.... help me out

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
FEW OTHER ITEMS I FORGOT ON THE LIST
1) Zeal Range Sunglasses (colorado guy, gotta rock the Zeal)
2) Scentless Wipes instead of TP. Is there anything better than a wet wipe instead of TP?
3) KUIU Hat - baseball style hat, I wear it all the time
4) Icebreaker Merino Beanie
5) Black Diamond Headlamp - found a 160 lumen one that is camo at REI.

And I for sure would not head into the mountains without sunscreen. I have learned that lesson the hard way before.

in terms of Gaiters, It is so friggin bone dry out here that the gaiters are not needed. I actually don't even own a rifle, which is when you hunt in the snow, at least out here.

Mike7

WKR
As far as game bags, I was referring to the smaller breathable game bags for boned out meat or larger breathable bags for bone in quarters(e.g. TAG bags, Caribou bags, etc.). You don't want to leave meat hanging in Kifaru meat transport bags in September while you start packing meat out...because the K.bags are basically like plastic bags in that scenario.

The gaiters are for debris and walking through wet foliage after thunder showers or morning condensation. I find them invaluable for going off trail, even in places somewhat drier than here...but I really hate having problems with my feet.

A good wide-brimmed boonie hat and long sleeve base layers allow me not to need sunscreen, but I still take chapstick for longer trips.

Umm man...you have bought a lot of high end gear...the more you the more you will figure out what you do and don't need.

I'd bring a good headlamp, good boxers, I like exo officio also I'd get a small jar or tube of Vaseline. Can help with emergency fire but mainly it helps with chaffing if you plan to hike a lot....reduces the friction if ya catch what I'm saying...

FEW OTHER ITEMS I FORGOT ON THE LIST
1) Zeal Range Sunglasses (colorado guy, gotta rock the Zeal)
2) Scentless Wipes instead of TP. Is there anything better than a wet wipe instead of TP?
3) KUIU Hat - baseball style hat, I wear it all the time
4) Icebreaker Merino Beanie
5) Black Diamond Headlamp - found a 160 lumen one that is camo at REI.

And I for sure would not head into the mountains without sunscreen. I have learned that lesson the hard way before.

in terms of Gaiters, It is so friggin bone dry out here that the gaiters are not needed. I actually don't even own a rifle, which is when you hunt in the snow, at least out here.
Camo headlamps and flashlights are great... Until you sit them down somewhere. Camo knives and cell phones are another one. Don't ask me how I know.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Camo headlamps and flashlights are great... Until you sit them down somewhere. Camo knives and cell phones are another one. Don't ask me how I know.

Agreed. I get very bright colors if I can for those items for probably the same reasons

OP
B

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Umm man...you have bought a lot of high end gear...the more you the more you will figure out what you do and don't need.

I'd bring a good headlamp, good boxers, I like exo officio also I'd get a small jar or tube of Vaseline. Can help with emergency fire but mainly it helps with chaffing if you plan to hike a lot....reduces the friction if ya catch what I'm saying...

Ohhhhhh - I like that call on the vaseline of something of the sorts.........

As far as the gear goes, I golf, ski, fly fishing, and bowhunt. Not sure I could have chosen 4 more expensive sports. Without kids/wife it is nice to be able to buy the nice gear, but truth be told I find a TON of my gear on eBay. In order to control my spending, I actually keep a list in evernote of all my gear, how much it weighs, and what I paid for it. I look for items that have been very lightly used, if used at all. My goal is to try and pay as little as possible, for gear in the best condition. I also will call equipment manufacturers and simply ask for a discount. For example, Brute Outdoors with their coolers gave me a 15% discount on my entire purchase and threw in a couple of free hats and free shipping. I did the same thing with the Hilleberg tent - in Denver we have 2 local dealers and I just simple asked them for a discount. OneShotGear in Denver ended up giving my like 10 percent off the tent and no tax. Saved me like 100 bucks. It adds up! Also, eBay is great for new items as well. All the little accessories, are usually about 1/2 of what they cost in stores, and have free shipping and no tax..... My 63 year old father recently got turned onto eBay and calls me laughing about the deals he gets.

Just to give you an idea.......My Creed bow, Vortex Viper HD binos, mathews quiver, KUIU rain gear, zeal sunglasses, Spot Hogg Release, Spot Hogg sight, ENO Sub7, therm-a-rest, limbsaver stabilizer, knives of alaska knife, all the primos call stuff, BD trekking poles, MSR reactor, carbo mask face paint, garmin GPS, and most of the smaller items (firepaste, tape, etc) WAS ALL BOUGHT ON EBAY FOR between 50-60% of full price. Most of them looked practically brand new.

I will say, be careful of buying gear. there are a lot of idiots on the internet and its usually easy to spot the good from the poor. eBay estimates that nearly 95% of all counterfeit goods are sold as "new."

I'm with ya Dustin. I have a lot of the same gear...granted I've been gathering stuff for a long time, just making yearly tweeks. But I'm a gear junkie...you can live and die by the stuff you choose to use. However I do have a wife and kid...so my spending is curved greatly...and my wife doesn't work and my daughter has more hobbies then me right now.

I think your pretty dialed out...and I'm sure after a few hunts you will add/remove stuff from your pack.

Oh don't forget duck tape or electrical tape, super glue or my favorite 3M gasket glue...

Last edited: