Gear investments, what do you regret?

USMC-40

WKR
Everything core4element I bought several years ago trying to not buy the ‘expensive’ stuff. None of the zippers work, the rain gear blows, and it pisses me off every time I look at the crap

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
Particularly, between my Swarovski ats65 hd and my pentax 65ed. Optically, 99% of most eyes won’t tell the difference. The pentax is half the price, and a lighter unit.

On that note, 5-6 years with my pentax, Iv never had a problem. The Swarovski eye piece, had to be sent back for warranty within my first year for getting moisture in it.

Dont get me wrong, the ats is a fabulous top of the line spotter, but the pentax will do 99% of what the Swarovski will do. I guess I expected the wow factor to be bigger between the two when I ordered my Swarovski, but I was wrong.
I get that. I've never tried a pentax but now I'll keep my eye out for one. I haven't seen an affordable spotter that compares to the big brands. I like the swarvo spotter I own, but I have the same feelings regarding my binoculars like you do the spotter. Theres some affordable options out there very comparable to my EL's.

Thanks for getting back to me.
[/QUOTE]

I also run the Pentax PF-65ed ii with the SMC 8-24mm (16-48x) eyepiece and it is an exceptional spotter for the money. They go on sale fairly often which make them unbeatable in terms of value. I have no reason to upgrade anytime soon; as Decker9 said, 99% of the time you would not see any difference between this Pentax and the Swaro.

NUGGET

WKR
I get that. I've never tried a pentax but now I'll keep my eye out for one. I haven't seen an affordable spotter that compares to the big brands. I like the swarvo spotter I own, but I have the same feelings regarding my binoculars like you do the spotter. Theres some affordable options out there very comparable to my EL's.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I also run the Pentax PF-65ed ii with the SMC 8-24mm (16-48x) eyepiece and it is an exceptional spotter for the money. They go on sale fairly often which make them unbeatable in terms of value. I have no reason to upgrade anytime soon; as Decker9 said, 99% of the time you would not see any difference between this Pentax and the Swaro.
[/QUOTE]
Nice! I’ve never ran a spotter. Usually just walk. I’ll keep my eyes out for one. I wouldn’t mind having another spotter.

elkduds

WKR
Everything core4element I bought several years ago trying to not buy the ‘expensive’ stuff. None of the zippers work, the rain gear blows, and it pisses me off every time I look at the crap
Surprising, My experience w Core4 has been the total opposite. I have 5 years on rain gear, element pants/jacket, hats, belt, fleece and base layers, w 0 complaints. In shopping for it, most of the people I met have found it a good alternative to Sitka, especially for the price. I owned some Sitka, Ascent and 90%. That has been my impression as well. Consider posting yours in RS classifieds, see how fast you will be relieved of the burden of looking at it.

Travis2282

Lil-Rokslider
The few things I regret I really havnt had any issues with just wish I would have upgraded a little more to begin with. My swaro STS and my Z5.

Honyock

WKR
Buying cheap stuff, then buying better stuff and finally buying good stuff. Would have saved a lot buying once and crying once.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have never been more disappointed in a piece of hunting gear than I am in my Quiet Kat! First off, let me say having an electric bike is great! It makes getting around our lease easy. We run up on game all the time. I can load it in the back of my truck and I don’t have to pull a trailer like I would with an ATV.

Now the bike itself. I had to replace the derailleur because the one they put on there can’t handle the 1000k watt motor. That’s not my opinion, it’s what the guy at my local bike shop told me. I didn’t buy the replacement from him either. I’ve gotten to know him pretty good because I‘m in there so often. QK accessories are super expensive but I bought the front fender anyway. It doesn’t fit. The front rotor warped. I have to “jiggle” the charging cord to get it to charge. Sometimes, I have to flip the power switch several times to get it to power up. I’m afraid one of these days I’ll end up pushing it back to the truck.

I could handle most of those issues without getting too bent out of shape but what drives me nuts is the noise. The gears are always popping and clanging and just making a ton of noise. It’s clicking so much I can’t tell if it’s stuck between gears or just needs adjustment, again. Every time I ride it I expect the chain to break. Which it has, once. It’s a center drive and sometimes it sounds like gravel is in there. I made a video the best I could and sent it to them. Their opinion is “the smaller rings on the cassette are worn out and need replaced“. Maybe they are, I don’t know. But this thing hasn’t been quiet since the first week I got it. Their customer service is just ok. Not terrible but not great.

I wouldn’t buy another but it is still cheaper and quieter than an ATV.
End of rant.

Last edited:

2rocky

WKR
Danner Pronghorns I'll never need to try again. That REI Bivy that condensated in Wyoming and I woke up wet and chilled.

But overall my purchases have been pretty serviceable for their cost. I expect things to wear out. I do find my NEED for some specialized piece of gear tends to fade after using it for a season and I don't particularly benefit from it. Vests and gaiters come to mind.

I have some Items that broke but I won't write them off.

I broke 2 pairs of Burris Binos and they replaced them twice. Now my daughters have them. The last pair were replaced with a pair of Steiners! So the Burris Company took care of me.

My Badlands Packs (2200 and 4500) have been back for buckle replacements and zipper repair and sewing up. The 4500 hasn't got too many miles on it but the 2200 has. I'll keep using it until it falls apart or I win a Sheep hunt where I'll need a serious 10 day backpack. Badlands has fixed a lot of gear for me, and I still use it today.

Had a Howa rifle that had the Bolt stop/release lever break. Got the replacement part. Seems to be fine, but I'm a little wary...

I had issues with limb splintering on a 2009 Martin Warthog Bow. Twice. I don't remember who I sold that to but I went back to Hoyt after.

Kuiu pack.

It carried heavy loads horribly. I now use a Kifaru pack. The two packs aren’t even in the same Category. Kuiu packs are okay as day packs, or for loads that are less than 30 pounds. Otherwise, if you’re going to backpack hunt and/or haul meat....a Kifaru, Mystery Ranch or Barney’s pack will definitely be a better choice. I was packing moose meat with a buddy last year, who still has a Kuiu pack. He ended up leaving his trekking poles behind so that he could have both hands free to reach back and hold up the bottom of the pack...to take the weight off his shoulder straps and the poorly designed hipbelt. He’s buying a Kifaru pack now.

daemon

FNG
Model 70 Supergrade with a beautiful maple stock. 300 WinMag. I got it for a decent price, but that money could have been used much better elsewhere. I'll end up selling it.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
Original Kuiu wool. I have a drawer full of 1-2 time used stuff. I just can't do the wool directly on skin. Kuiu is great stuff but I fell for how different this wool would be and just can't wear it.

Under Armor gloves, both the shooter finger and the fold back mits. Both have been terrible, not warm and the snaps, magnets etc, have all failed.

Try soaking the wool pieces in water with lanolin dissolved in it. Lanolin is the oil that comes from wool when it's processed, and makes them much much softer and nicer on the skin. If you don't want to buy lanolin, soak it in water with hair conditioner. Press the water out (don't wring it), and roll it in a towel and step on it. Hand wash and dry flat. It's the first thing I do to all my wool pieces, and it makes them wear and function so much better. Well worth the hassle.

Chuckybmd

WKR
Taurus tracker 44 mag. I ended up buying Ruger Redhawk super Alaskan as well. The extra quality makes up for the price.

Remington firearms, the 700 has taken a dive in my opinion, also the Remington 870 is not as good as it used to be.

Vortex diamondback binoculars 10 x 42. Really they’re not that bad but I quickly see that buying quality would’ve been better. I’m sure a lot of people feel similarly.

Benchmade knives with open assist. I have the bench made emissary which I loved, the blade steel is great however the mechanism gets gummed up and it’s very frustrating. I prefer the Spyderco paramilitary 2.

I bought a mystery ranch pop up 28 which was too small for my 260lb 6'5 frame. Also buying danner boots at sportsman's warehouse for $150 instead of just buying crispi boots.

mcdbrog

FNG
Definitely not buying the quality pack I wanted so I could save a few hundred bucks. Last year was my first time heading west to hunt in the mountains. And I am about to buy a new pack already for this year. Only other regret which really isn't gear is not heading west sooner. Only so many seasons in ones life. But on the plus side I have started buying points for my youngest son who is 12 so it will be cool when he is able to go with me.