Gas gun question for you all

Luked

WKR
I know the ARs are not the normal talking point around here. But I have one I am a little lost on what to do with.
Got a 350 Legend Upper from a buddy of mine. Was planning to use it here at home for a short range Whitetail rifle in some of the thick timber we have.
Put a lower together for it and had to order a Mag. Got a Mag from Wilson Combat and started playing around with it.
I havent got to the range with it yet and was just checking function cycling the bolt with the charging handle
This thing wont feed for $hit. I bought 2 different kinds of ammo so far for it.
A FMJ from Winchester. It runs it pretty well. 1 out of 50 charges jammed.
Have some 170gr Hornaday soft points. These wont make it 5 rounds with out one jamming and not feeding.

I did some looking online and You Tube and the feeding issues are common on these things. There is everything out there from guys modifying mags to polishing feed ramps. changing buffers BCGs all kinds of stuff.
So I am at a loss with this thing.

I am about to the point to give up on the 350L and just rebarrel the damn thing. Which is where my thoughts get in the way.
Have been wanting to build a 6mm Arc. But then that is a fairly small round for short ranges. Not that I think it wouldn't work.

I have another AR i built for my daughter in 300 Blk. So thought of going to the 300 Blk on this rifle also since I have everything to load for it.

So here I am with this thing and no clue what way to go here.
Was hoping to get some ideas and opinions from you all

About to go down this 350 legend road for my dad to fulfill the new 'muzzle-loader' regs here in Arkansas. It doesn't surprise me the the 350 would have magazine issues though. I'd personally start with buying a Duramag to see if that's your issue.

For hunting I would do a 6mm ARC over the 300blk all day and twice on sunday (350 legend is nearly in the same category as 300blk for me). I have both but I would typically grab my 5.56 to hunt with. I've killed several deer with my BLK and have never been impressed with the performance. The 6mm ARC factory ammo is great if you decide to not reload for it.

LFC911

WKR
We converted our AR10 from 308 to 6.5 CM and very happy with the decision...it is a tack driver. I would like to upgrade the trigger though. We did have to get a JP high pressure bolt to keep it from blowing up primers but that was the only issue.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The 6mm Arc has really peaked my interest a lot.
MY main thing I was wanting the 350L to work was for some tight thick timber areas I have to hunt.
Thought was with a heavy round could put a deer down quick and easy.

I have quite a few other rifles so its not like a "Must Have" as any other rifle I have will work fine. But always looking and wanting for something else also.

I think the 350L is a slick round for what it is. But getting to the point that I think it needs to not be in an AR platform.

11boo

WKR
That 350 is hit or miss.
I’m playing around with a Ruger SFAR 308. They come in 6.5 now too.
Mine is pretty impressive.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Usual stuff - check a few magazines, mess with some feed lips, polish the feed ramp, give it enough lube to make Asa Akira blush, beef up the recoil spring.....

-J

intunegp

WKR
Havent shot it yet.
Wont even feed a round by pulling the bolt and letting it go.

Couple questions...

Is the magazine you have the Lancer that is modified by Wilson? If so, I'd try a CMMG metal 5-rounder before giving up.

When you say it won't "even" feed by pulling the bolt and letting go, what do you mean? If you're riding the charging handle at all you're not allowing the bolt to move with full force and failure to feeds should be expected. You should be pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and letting go to load an AR.

MY main thing I was wanting the 350L to work was for some tight thick timber areas I have to hunt.
Thought was with a heavy round could put a deer down quick and easy.
My concern (for the build for my dad) for the 350 legend is that there are no fragmenting bullets to choose from that I've seen, so I'm expecting slower incapacitation than say a 6 arc or 5.56 with TMKs/ELDs. I would even prefer a federal fusion option to what's out there. Will probably try the Hornady FTX.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Couple questions...

Is the magazine you have the Lancer that is modified by Wilson? If so, I'd try a CMMG metal 5-rounder before giving up.

When you say it won't "even" feed by pulling the bolt and letting go, what do you mean? If you're riding the charging handle at all you're not allowing the bolt to move with full force and failure to feeds should be expected. You should be pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and letting go to load an AR.
The Mag is the Lancer from Wilson Combat.

I just got the Mag in yesterday so was the first time to load any rounds into it.
I loaded 10 rounds in the 15 round mag, Pulled the charge handle/bolt back and let it go. then again and again. Just grabbing the latch on the charge handle and letting it go each time.

intunegp

WKR
The Mag is the Lancer from Wilson Combat.

I just got the Mag in yesterday so was the first time to load any rounds into it.
I loaded 10 rounds in the 15 round mag, Pulled the charge handle/bolt back and let it go. then again and again. Just grabbing the latch on the charge handle and letting it go each time.

Just making sure. The way your other post was worded it sounded like you may not have been doing that all the time.

I'd still try the metal 5 round mags if you're not ready to give up on it just yet.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
No worries. typing can be a little harder to explain.

I might give the Dura mags a try. I just dont know. Going to be hard for me to trust the thing with the experience I have with it so far. That would be the hard part for me to carry it in the woods just waiting for it to jam.

intunegp

WKR
No worries. typing can be a little harder to explain.

I might give the Dura mags a try. I just dont know. Going to be hard for me to trust the thing with the experience I have with it so far. That would be the hard part for me to carry it in the woods just waiting for it to jam.

I think they're worth a shot. It's not uncommon for a semi-automatic gun to run great with one brand of mag and barely at all with another. Feeding issues are common in ARs of all calibers, but especially the big bore straight wall stuff. Lots of times a caliber-specific mag in the smallest capacity available solves most of the issues. If you try a Duramag or CMMG and it feeds reliably at home and at the range there's no reason not to trust it.