Gas and inflation impacting your fall?

S.Clancy

WKR
In MT I can see opening week being heinous as people consolidate their driving to target the openers. I think it's going to affect resident pressure much more than NR, so I expect pressure to be less than last year overall

Rich M

WKR
Its gonna affect me. Life goes on.

I put an AK fishing trip for 2023 on hold and also the backup trip. We gonna cheap it on an island now.

Will revisit the trips once things settle down. Having lived thru Pres Carter, im expecting something similar.

As a Colorado resident...I wouldn't move here. Wyoming or Montana have WAY better hunting opportunities for Residents. Both of those states allocates the vast majority (forget exact figures) of their tags to residents. Wyoming the General tags over over the counter for them. Colorado of course has OTC but it's over run like crazy. I'd highly consider somewhere besides Colorado if you're moving to benefit from Big Game Hunting.
You are correct! Two Great States! "Normal People" still live there.

My daughter is in Idaho and works in Wyoming.

Yep, Wyoming does not have any form of pistol/firearm licensing, gun registration, an assault weapons ban or magazine restrictions. There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are legal. Concealed firearm permits are shall-issue and anyone may carry concealed without a permit.

Montana does not have gun registration, licensing, or owner permits. There is no assault weapon ban or magazine capacity limitations. Private gun sales are legal.

I apprecaite your input!

TheViking

WKR
You are correct! Two Great States! "Normal People" still live there.
I apprecaite your input!

Colorado is full of nuts. I’d move elsewhere in a heartbeat if I could. I have a fantastic career, so I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. I do hunt in WY and MT when I can pull a tag.

Currymac

FNG
The only thing I’m struggling with is figuring out how to carry all my gear on my dual sport bike…..diesel is getting to be to expensive and my truck gets not so great mileage mama is about to put me on a budget! All jokes of course..sorta

fmyth

WKR
I posted it in another thread, but I'm trying to still decide for this year.

400 gal of diesel. If we are @ 6$ fuel, that's $2.75 more than I had been paying.
The difference would be more than my elk tag.
Same here. And don't forget that everything else you buy between now and hunting season will likely increase significantly due to increased transportation and manufacturing costs. For me $7 a gallon gas will increase the cost of my WY or CO elk hunt by over 1k. Although I can absorb the cost of fuel I may not be inclined to try to pick up an antelope, mule deer and bear tag and I did not apply for any tags in UT. I'll likely pass on NM and MT too. I think that many other hunters will also make some changes to their plans for the upcoming season.

Azone

WKR
I’m still planning on a Colorado elk/deer hunt, it’s just gonna cost more. If I have to sacrifice something else so be it, priority always finds a way.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is full of nuts. I’d move elsewhere in a heartbeat if I could. I have a fantastic career, so I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. I do hunt in WY and MT when I can pull a tag.
you ok with paying the NR price tag? I Live in CO and have family in WY but looking at NR elk tag prices it keeps my in CO. I could go to Idaho and pay residence pricing but little farther from home and don't have a good basecamp there.

TheViking

WKR
you ok with paying the NR price tag? I Live in CO and have family in WY but looking at NR elk tag prices it keeps my in CO. I could go to Idaho and pay residence pricing but little farther from home and don't have a good basecamp there.

I pay it every year. Worth every penny in my book for the caliber of hunts i get on public land in WY or MT compres to CO.

Quadzilla32

Lil-Rokslider
I pay it every year. Worth every penny in my book for the caliber of hunts i get on public land in WY or MT compres to CO.
hmm might have to see how this first hunt goes to see if its worth it to me to shell out the extra cash for a legit chance at filling a tag.

I am interested how it will affect all the tourists in states like Colorado. Maybe it will benefit us hunters if the amount of hikers is cut down a bit.

It will affect the entire economy and it's going to continue to get worse until this administration has been replaced. People may still go hunting out of state this year but I bet next year will be a dramatic decrease. This will severely contract the entire global economy and the normal, everyday worker's bank account will take a likely large hit.

CorbLand

WKR
I changed my application to only do points for a hunt because 850 miles round trip at 4 plus bucks a gallon would not have been in the cards.

Nothing is impacting my fall yet. Cutting back on junk food and driving the last week and will continue to do so. If anything this spring, I’ll be hunting and fishing more to make use of the gas I’ll waste driving to/from the main office.