Garmin InReach FAILURE - test yours

I keep mine in the truck and run tracking on any hikes, drives, or dirt bike rides. Really helps me keep trained on using it, and helps my family understand how things work on their end.

sasquatch

WKR
Mine seems to update automatically when I turn it on after a year of being stored. I use it one month out the year, September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm getting organized for a hunt this fall and found this post. My InReach needed an update that I installed today. I will schedule an SOS test, sometime this month -- never thought of doing that before.

Responding mainly to bump this post up to remind others to update and test before heading off the grid.

My older units failed me.
The new one worked this year but it’s like it’s 1990 technology.
Actually the new one is a pain in the ass and i definitely don’t want to have to rely on my phone to make it user friendly.

Last edited:

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting organized for a hunt this fall and found this post. My InReach needed an update that I installed today. I will schedule an SOS test, sometime this month -- never thought of doing that before.

Responding mainly to bump this post up to remind others to update and test before heading off the grid.

Yep. Great reminder. I put mine through the update last night. Haven't done the SOS, so will look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my Explorer+ every week, often more than once a week. Heading for a dirt bike ride? Turn on tracking for the wifey. Walking the coastal plains? Turn on tracking for the wifey. Mountain bike ride? Tracking.

What this does is get me very familiar with the device. Love that it's standalone, essentially a completely redundant coms and gps device. Great tool.

What it WON'T do is remind you to update the software. But handling it regularly, for me, makes it more likely that I'll connect it to the PC app periodically and check for updates. This should be a checklist item for any critical adventure and should be done well in advance in case there are any feature changes or glitches to iron out. I've never had any, but still worth doing in advance.

NOTE: If you have the full size model, there has only been one update since 2021, and that was released July 20, 2023. Very well lined out device now.

Jethro

WKR
I also have the Explorer+. Only activate it for 1 month a year, but I always attach it to computer and do updates and sync maps and contacts.

Since this thread 2 years ago I also have done the SOS test. Easy to set up. First year I triggered SOS from the handheld. Last year did it from phone through the bluetooth. Both worked as should.