Garmin InReach FAILURE - test yours

SonnyDay

WKR
Last fall I updated the firmware on my Garmin InReach and ran a messaging test, but then once we got out to the hills it couldn’t send or receive. I could get weather updates and location, but no messages. We packed out and drove a ways until we had cell service… after which point the InReach started working again. Keep that firmware updated and check all the functions afterwards!

CoStick

WKR
Good post, and glad no tragedy for you, but it seems that the bottom line is that you failed to update your InReach for a couple years. I was also not aware of this requirement, but there were a slew of prior posts on this site that messaging functionality can be compromised if you don't update.

Here's a concept--

I dare say that GARMIN- should MESSAGE all InReach holders whenever new software is released and inform everyone to update. Perhaps that is asking too much proactive effort?

I now update mine before I head out, but I could have also had problems if I had I not read about the issue on this site.

JL
They do, I get an email and the mini itself prompts you if you are not up to date

I also have an explorer, it gave me a lot of grief last week trying to update the firmware. Then it went 50/50 for messages sent to my wife from the back yard, I need to try it again before I head out.

OP
E
I've had mine fail twice, once resulting in an early pack out of somewhere that was extremely difficult to get into, but didn't want the wife calling SAR. The first was the unit itself just stopped working, no impact, no water, within a year, I would turn on and it would light up but screen was blank. They sent me a refurb. The second, Garmin just cancelled my subscription with zero notice or reason. That was the one I had to pack out. Credit card was good, had been billing monthly for 6+ months, they claimed I put in a request to cancel, absolutely did not, they could not produce any record of this. The kicker is they then charged me the $35 to reactivate.
Always update and check messages the day before heading out and know while technology is nice, at some point it can and will fail no matter what precautions are taken.
WHOAH! I was surprised that Garmin said that the SOS would ALWAYS work. When it didn’t they offered me 20% off of a new device. They didn’t reimburse for the failed service plan.

Crap! This reminds me that I need to cancel the InReach service plan. Thanks turkeyget!

OP
E
I also have an explorer, it gave me a lot of grief last week trying to update the firmware. Then it went 50/50 for messages sent to my wife from the back yard, I need to try it again before I head out.
It’s not my business what you decide to do. But, I bought a Zoleo from Black Ovis with a 10% off code. Delivered it was $201. Then I had to pay to activate and buy a plan for three months. All for less than a new Garmin.

hikenhunt

WKR
I see Spot didn't make it on your list. I switched from Spot to InReach because I had an entire backcountry hunt with the Spot that it failed to send out messages without me knowing. My wife was worried sick that I wasn't checking in. Funny thing is that their customer service said that the SOS would have still functioned and they offered 20% off next years subscription fee, sounds familiar! I said goodbye to them and haven't had any issues with the InReach. I should test the SOS though, didn't know you could do that.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s not my business what you decide to do. But, I bought a Zoleo from Black Ovis with a 10% off code. Delivered it was $201. Then I had to pay to activate and buy a plan for three months. All for less than a new Garmin.
I know two people that tried zoleo and came back to inreach. Keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My explorer is showing software version 3.5 today, and it worked flawlessly this afternoon. I even got the notifications when I received messages on my instinct watch. For now, it stays.

bbrown

WKR
For a piece of equipment you trust your life with it’s just a good habit to update and test before each trip. Technology can and will fail and I have had issues with my inreach a few times but it’s usually user errors if I’m being honest.

I mean fire extinguishers are supposed to be tested/recharged annually, smoke alarm batteries replaced each year, etc. Not to much different than maintaining the vehicle you trust to get you home or cleaning the pistol you depend on to protect you and your family. Hell - the phone I’m typing this on prolly wouldn’t work right if I don’t update it in 2 years.

I agree with the OP. SOS should still work. Software updates, other than for security purposes, should not cause features/functionality to break. If there are known compatibility issues with the satellites/endpoints, Garmin should blast out email/phone/messages to individuals with their endpoints, period.

rclouse79

WKR
I usually update mine before each hunting season, but thanks for the reminder. Think I will go update mine right now so I don’t forget.

To be clear, Garmin said there must be something wrong with this unit if the SOS didn't work. It had nothing to do with the fact that the software was not updated, or at the very least the effect of the lack of updates on SOS has not been established, per the OP's posts. Not a reason to not test, but just want to be clear that the SOS "should" work whether or not your inReach is updated or not.

Regarding messaging, the inReach displays the message to test the device every time you turn it on; "ALWAYS TEST BEFORE YOU GO" is displayed on the startup screen. Good advice for sure. I turn on tracking, share the track, and send a message before I leave the house every time I use mine. I might test the SOS next time just to check that it's not broken.

Last edited:
OP
E
I know two people that tried zoleo and came back to inreach. Keep us updated

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I'm curious why they weren't happy with Zoleo. Did it fail? Or was it lacking features?

The advantage of the InReach is that it is a standalone gps with mapping and it allows custom messages without being connected to a phone. Those are great advantages that no other satellite communicator has. I once used my InReach to navigate out of a wilderness area when my phone's battery ran out. It's always good to have redundant features.

The Zoleo lacks any redundant features. My hope is that it is more reliable due to it's superior durability and simplicity.

Bottom line: the SOS on my InReach failed and two Garmin customer service guys said that couldn't happen. I have ZERO confidence in the InReach SOS function and had to switch to something else.

SIR_34:16

FNG
Thanks for the PSA. There are a lot of guys reactivating plans right now and this is good to know. I never even thought of updating the firmware and probably would've been in the same boat 😉. My family would be freaking out if they couldn't message or see my location.