Garbage bag or Kifaru Meat Baggie?

I know a few of you have Kifaru Meat baggies, as do I. Do you still take a garbage bag with you to put the meat in seeings how the meat baggie when seam sealed is waterproof? Just going through my gear and wondering what I need and don't need for next year. I know I can use the garbage bag for other things than meat, like putting it in a creek to keep it cool etc... Just trying to get some ideas and change up my kit to lighten it up

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't seal my MB. But I always take a large garbage bag to lay meat on or if I have to throw the meat in water . I use the MB for Back straps, Tenderloins and heart plus any choice cuts:)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Garbage bags are a priority. A great piece of equipment with so many back country uses. For the weight, I say always take them....

Craig4791

WKR
I always carry two garbage bags in my kill kit along with a KUIU meat bag.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I used ot carry Trash Compactor bags cause they are tougher than the average garbage bag. However, I have switch to OR silynylon roll top dry sacks (35 liter and 55 liter variety as they are like $7 off of Sierra Trading Post) and they work like a champ. Waterproof and way tough. And fully waterproof so no blood leaks everywhere like it did before even with garbage bags. Plus a 55 Lighter dry bag is actually lighter than two trash compactor bags.

KMT

WKR
I've used garbage bags for years and have never had a problem. When I'm finished packing out, I can toss them out and don't have to worry about cleaning anything up. And you can't really beat the price of garbage bags.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
KMB plus a couple garbage bags that could be used for stream cooling, laying meat on, rain water collection, garbage, emergency poncho, and a host of other things.