Game sleds

Jon Boy

WKR
Looking for something like this to be able to slide into the loops on my lumbar pack so I can still get a load out. Anyone used anything like this or have suggestions for some kind of material I can use to make my own?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
7a7103deba163db0254bad21a0c19935.jpg

Randle

WKR
Been thinking about the a
same.
Mtwarden was looking into making one.
Maybe he will post up

Voyageur

WKR
Several of the winter trekking/toboggan websites offer DIY kits. HDPE is one of the materials often used. UHMW is another. I've included a link for one such company. I'm sure there are others as well.
@Larry Bartlett also sells a sled that is reputed to be top notch.
Not sure any of this is exactly what you are looking for, but it should give you options to explore.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
Several of the winter trekking/toboggan websites offer DIY kits. HDPE is one of the materials often used. UHMW is another. I've included a link for one such company. I'm sure there are others as well.
@Larry Bartlett also sells a sled that is reputed to be top notch.
Not sure any of this is exactly what you are looking for, but it should give you options to explore.
Awesome that definitely points me in the right direction!

Clarktar

WKR
Might check out Alaska air frames.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the one I designed and now sold by Airframes Alaska:

I need to get permission from the military to share the videos of the sled kit I designed for the 11th Airborne Group in Alaska last year. It's a smaller more compact version of the design above, but ideal for dragging deer and caribou out of anywhere.

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
We used that sled on this buck. 4 guys rotating to drag it uphill about a mile to the truck. It was the first and last time I have used it. The snow would probably be a different story, but I bought a kifaru. I quarter them up where they lay. You have to do it anyway. The material is approx 1/4” semi ridged plastic. I’ll dig it out of storage and send it to you if you pay for shipping.IMG_0070.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been thinking about the a
same.
Mtwarden was looking into making one.
Maybe he will post up
@mtwarden

I haven't got anything done with that project.

What I had in mind is very similar to what @Larry Bartlett posted; similar to the size of the small version he has on his website.

My buddy built one with the same 1/16" UHMW and it's plenty stout for hauling stuff on the snow.

He's been toying with different poles setups, but still looking for something that can be packed small and is light. I think he determined carbon fiber is out as its too fragile with an flex (and there will definitely be some flex when pulling a sled)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also if you're carrying a pack (and you will be hunting :)) no worry about any harness setup- you have that already. Poles & a sled.

OP
Jon Boy

Jon Boy

WKR
I haven't got anything done with that project.

What I had in mind is very similar to what @Larry Bartlett posted; similar to the size of the small version he has on his website.

My buddy built one with the same 1/16" UHMW and it's plenty stout for hauling stuff on the snow.

He's been toying with different poles setups, but still looking for something that can be packed small and is light. I think he determined carbon fiber is out as its too fragile with an flex (and there will definitely be some flex when pulling a sled)
Do you have pics of your buddies? I'm trying to source some of that 1/16 stuff. I'm thinking 20"x48" of a pretty basic design. Really I just need something that roll up tight and allow me to get a quarter to the trail.
Most of my hunting is hiking up a trail in the bottom of a drainage and then hunting up from that. Using a lumbar pack in the timber has been super beneficial. But getting a load down to the trail the same day can be important.

Taudisio

WKR
I just pulled it out of storage and must correct myself. It is much thinner than 1/4”. My guess would be 1/16” like mtn warden said.

87TT

WKR
I have cargo sled that I can bring in for later trips but use the EXO for the first trip. With the steep crap around where I hunt I don’t think the sled will get that much use. I gave up un the lumbar pack years ago.

rayporter

WKR
many years ago i got a deer sleighr sled for Christmas .

it has been used a couple times but just sits now. it is better than nothing when dragging a deer but not much. in certain terrain it would help more than others. my woods would be mostly up hill dragging.

Axlrod

WKR
I have this one now. Works pretty good in snow or wet grass. If it's dry ground I pack it in my K3.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a couple of pics of the one my buddy mocked up- it's 1/16th- 24 oz as it sits. This one was designed for Winter backpacking in mind and would ride on the outside of your backpack when not in use- wasn't designed to roll up, but might be able to w/o a lot of trouble??????

There was a guy many moons ago (Norway maybe??) that posted up what he called a rulk- combination of rucksack and pulk. He used it traveling over snowy scapes on skis, pulling it mostly w/ his back[pack in it, but occasionally needing to carry it on his back. That's the design he was going for.

bS21WLa.jpg

FJOkXA7.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the exact dimensions, but if I recollect correctly it's 20" wide and 36" long

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam23